• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Halts In-House Sales of Diamond-Distributed Books

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Why do I miss all the good amazon "glitches"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the headline I thought that the Handley case had snowballed into canceling titles like Berserk and Kurosagi... Phew...
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
When I saw the headline I thought that the Handley case had snowballed into canceling titles like Berserk and Kurosagi... Phew...

Nah, basically Amazon mispriced several larger hardcover and omnibus collections that would normally retail for 40 to 100+ bucks at 14.99 [less then the printing cost of some of these titles]. Amazon shipped some out, sent out cancellation letters for others once the glitch was caught, and sent most people a 25 dollar gift certificate if they didn't get their books.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/03/08/amazon-stats-what-bleeding-cool-readers-ordered-so-far/ Bleeding Cool covered a lot of it, and it was linked all over the internet, so the numbers listed here are just he tip of the iceberg- a whack of big ticket diamond books that were mostly Marvel, DH, Image or small press titles suddently hit the overall topsellers list and dominated Diamond's sales, because comic fans found a lot of bargains that were too good to be true.

All that said, it certainly attracted a lot of attention for the titles involved. Hopefully it'll all get fixed soon so people can use their gift certificates towards some good comics.

Given how few manga publishers do large omnibuses of this sort it probably didn't result in a lot of those titles moving during this [Vertical, and D&Q's Manga line come to mind for hardcover omibuses], though not being listed on Amazon is probably affecting them, so hopefully it'll get fixed.
MH Knights

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I thought $15 was a little cheap for a hardcover Frank Cho art collection (Apes and Babes: Book 1). They did cancel the order I had for some other stuff though. Oh well I am $25 richer I guess.
Cait

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Both the glitch and the removal of title availability has affected DMP titles as well. But in DMP's case, titles were being listed above MSRP (I remember seeing Yellow 2 Episode 1 for twice the cover price) for a few days (and then as not available).
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
Both the glitch and the removal of title availability has affected DMP titles as well. But in DMP's case, titles were being listed above MSRP (I remember seeing Yellow 2 Episode 1 for twice the cover price) for a few days (and then as not available).

I had wondered if there were any titles with increased prices since they seemed to switch stuff over to 14.99 at random. It's clear whatever Amazon did has messed up a lot of publishers work.
Cait

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

I had wondered if there were any titles with increased prices since they seemed to switch stuff over to 14.99 at random. It's clear whatever Amazon did has messed up a lot of publishers work.

Yes, the reason I noticed was that I went to buy Yellow 2 Episode 1 as a gift for a friend and it was listed at $15/16 MSRP with a "discount" down to ~$10, when the actual MSRP of that book is under $7. I took it out of the cart. =P
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote
Huh. Seems to be just Amazon US not Amazon.ca which is a relief.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1