• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, March 1-7

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bell02

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
It's funny Color Walk 4 placed, it must have only had about a 50,000 first print run because I went to buy it from Amazon and they were completely sold out! (That was about a week ago)
Spaceman-Spiff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm surprised too Color Walk 4 made it to #14.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
So just what the hell happens in that volume of One Piece?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
wow, more than double naruto sale. Is one piece closing to the end?
jedimaster5000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
No its not...still a couple years until it does. The latest chapters are so epic, you will have to read the manga to know what I mean
FuwaKitty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

Basically, people die/fight/cry/divulge secrets.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
FuwaKitty wrote:
Romuska wrote:

Basically, people die/fight/cry/divulge secrets.

People live too. And that's a fact.
Araki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Volume 59 (with landmarking chapters 574 and 576) will have scary sales. It could very well beat the 2 million mark in one week.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

What you've already read thousands of times before presented with tweaks and adjustments here and there to impress onto the readers it is absolutely brand new, and not cliched.

Basically characters befriend/betray/love/hate/fight/reconcile/depart/revive/flashback/foreshadow/power up/ power down/lie/confess/win/lose/win-lose/lose-win/win-lose-win/lose-win-lose/variants of such/weep/rejoice/mount/dismount... All in the name of friendship and justice... and the main character wants to be the King of the Pirates.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
WTF happened here? My bad.

Last edited by Pedestrian A on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
echen89

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Yea its no surprise, the movie that was personally made by oda and the awesome saga were in now made this happen. I just wonder why it aint popular here in the states? I personally think its the best thing since DBZ.
Bell02

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
According to the Author, One Piece is about 1/2 done, so my guess is another 10 years. It's not popular in the states because it was mishandled so poorly when it aired on TV, but that in itself is a lie because it's become extremely popular in Western Anime Communities in the last few years, only that popularity doesn't translate into dollar signs.

Pedestrian A wrote:
Pedestrian A wrote:
Romuska wrote:

What you've already read thousands of times before presented with tweaks and adjustments here and there to impress onto the readers it is absolutely brand new, and not cliched.

Basically characters befriend/betray/love/hate/fight/reconcile/depart/revive/flashback/foreshadow/power up/ power down/lie/confess/win/lose/win-lose/lose-win/win-lose-win/lose-win-lose/variants of such/weep/rejoice/mount/dismount/all you would expect to see in a fantasy land shonen title... All in the name of friendship and justice... and the main character wants to be the King of the Pirates.

LAZY TROLLIN'
I SEEZ U ROLLIN'
LULZ
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:57 am Reply with quote
Pedestrian A wrote:

Basically characters befriend/betray/love/hate/fight/reconcile/depart/revive/flashback/foreshadow/power up/ power down/lie/confess/win/lose/win-lose/lose-win/win-lose-win/lose-win-lose/variants of such/weep/rejoice/mount/dismount... All in the name of friendship and justice... and the main character wants to be the King of the Pirates.

It's a shounen manga. What'dya expect? Shakespeare? Besides, they're pirates, so justice is hardly their concern. Infact, they're very much against justice considering the current arc and past events (burning of the World Govt. flag in Enies Lobby, etc.,). Friendship is something that's largely capitalized in the series, though.

Good to see the manga's doing great as usual. Been enjoying the current stuff. Oda really knows how to keep the audience excited. It's just fun to read.
Bell02

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:

It's a shounen manga. What'dya expect? Shakespeare? Besides, they're pirates, so justice is hardly their concern. Infact, they're very much against justice considering the current arc and past events (burning of the World Govt. flag in Enies Lobby, etc.,). Friendship is something that's largely capitalized in the series, though.

Good to see the manga's doing great as usual. Been enjoying the current stuff. Oda really knows how to keep the audience excited. It's just fun to read.

Like I said, basically trollin'!
What he said basically can apply to Shakespeare, actually it can probably be applied to almost any story, but he tacked friendship and justice on the back and pirates. If that guy's not going to make a real argument then you shouldn't have to. The guy probably hasn't even seen much of the series, if any, but is probably upset because his favorite series didn't place as high, and doesn't understand why. lol
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
Honestly I think one of the main reasons One Piece hasn't done that well in the US is because it's about pirates and the power sets were very unusual at the time. Compared to Martial Artists, Samurai like people with crazy swords, and ninjas; it didn't have that instant appeal or level of instant understanding or association like its piers. People tend to think Pirates of the Carribean or Long John Silver. And the guy stretches? What a lame power that was further enforced by some of the weakest superhero characters in US comics.

But like alot of fans, the characters can draw you in if you give them the chance and really, alot of stuff that happens is far from what you would traditionally associate with pirates. Oda's take on the stretching power and other sillier power sets was great too. You've never seen that kind of energy or power before. If 4kids didn't worry so much on localizing and censoring it, they might have had their next Pokemon or Yugioh by now. At least the next DBZ on the US side of things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2