• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse Lists Evangelion: Campus Apocalypse Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
No one would actually want to read this garbage if it didn't have the name "Evangelion" slapped on it.

I am disappointed that Dark Horse is taking advantage of fans by licensing it; milking the brand-name "Evangelion" for all it is worth.
Whoomp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
No one would actually want to read this garbage if it didn't have the name "Evangelion" slapped on it.

I am disappointed that Dark Horse is taking advantage of fans by licensing it; milking the brand-name "Evangelion" for all it is worth.

This. They should just go ahead an rescue the license for Angelic Days and the trinity of suck would be complete.

*sigh*

Instead of this, I wish that they would just hurry up and release the rest of Eden.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
It's all probably something that we've already read before, but since it's Evangelion it should be just fun enough for me. I'm only hoping that it will be slightly better than Shinji Ikari Raising Project, which for 4 volumes has been nothing but slogging through romantic-comedy BS that never went anywhere. I've always loved and appreciated the Angelic Days manga, but SIRP made me appreciate it even more considering the former had an actual story to tell and told it well for itself. Anyway, I look forward to checking out Campus Apocalypse before I judge it.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Yay. More Eva crap for me to buy. I'm such a sucker.
strike_zero00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Well since I'm an Eva fan, will buy first volume to check it out.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Whoomp wrote:
Instead of this, I wish that they would just hurry up and release the rest of Eden.

As fans of EDEN: It's an Endless World, we should actually welcome any opportunity Dark Horse has to make a quick buck. If Campus Apocalypse or others like it do well for Dark Horse, they may be more willing to solicit another volume of EDEN, even though they know it'll hurt them in the wallet.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
If people think "Evangelion" is only a marketing gimmik to make something sell, then why does it also have the name GAINAX on it? I think it's just evidence of how amazing it is that 13 years later the Evangelion influence on anime and manga is still going strong. Which is a lot more to say than the recycling and rehashing of long worn out giant robot stories and slapping the name Gundam on it.
maribeasteva2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Overall good manga.
Future buyer right here.
Pete577

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
So someone ripped off the exact plot to Persona 3 and managed to defile Evangelion at the same time? Great. Now I feel like throwing up. Two of my favorite franchises being violated in one way or another.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Even if it's cliched beyond measure, I've read a bit of Campus Apocalypse and can say I've enjoyed it enough to watch for this when it rolls out.

Of course I'd prefer other titles, but any new license which diverges from the overly-niche otaku demographic I think is a good thing. Period.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I've read enough to say that this isn't quite the piece of crap people claim it is...

...But at the same time I'm tied they keep licensing and licensing and licensing and NEVER PUT WHAT I WANT ON THE SHELVES.

IT'S BEEN OVER A YEAR AND A HALF SINCE YOU GUYS GOT WORLD EMBRYO. PUT IT OUT IN THE STATES ALREADY.

I know I'm probably a vocal minority but Daisuke Moriyama's second series was getting damn good right around the time they snatched it up and C&D'd all scans. That's a real c-block IMHO.

I just hope this amazon date of august is correct. And they better get volumes out fast with how freaking long of a delay this has received.
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
And the money train just keeps on rolling, CHOO-CHOO!
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
Anything Evangelion = Instant read for me, as long as it's actually manga and not a (light) novel.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
I've actually read some of the scanlations, and it was pretty decent. I'll more that likely get it once DH releases it.

Now if only Sadamoto would hurry up and finish the original NGE manga. Thing's been running for 15 years.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
Damn. I'm morbidly curious about this. As much as I've avoided other Evangelion spin offs like the plauge, this one sounds almost interesting. Certainly dig supernatural mystery stories. Dunno how bad or good it's done though.
_V_ wrote:
To be fair it's Gainax who initiated this manga in the first place. Hell, compared to some of the other ways they've milked the Eva franchise, this seems classy.

Last edited by The Xenos on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2