• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spice & Wolf Novel 2 Has Original Cover, Photo Jacket

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
THANK GOODNESS.

Though, actually, that second photo jacket is much better than the first...
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I get what they're hinting at, but since these novels are have been almost exclusive to the manga section (at least they are at the book stores I've been to), wouldn't the "wider audience" the bookstores wish to appeal to be phased out because they're in that section?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
That's a relief. That first cover was hideous.
domino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Because re-doing anime-style cover art to make the characters look more western worked so well for the video game industry! Oh wait...
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
THANK GOODNESS.

I don't read Spice & Wolf, but I agree, the cover for the 2nd volume is much better than the first. However, I don't know why retailers are complaining about the original cover of the light novels. I see that as disrepesct to the author. "Oh I'm sorry, we can't use your original cover because it's too manga-ish. We want something more realistic and western." Rolling Eyes Well, at least they're going to add the original covers. I'm glad people spoke out.
domino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Also something seems very strange about the western art for volume 1. They were asked to make a cover that appealed to a wider audience, so they put a naked woman there?
seichan80

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
"to satisfy the requests of our retail partners who have asked that the books be made more appealing to a wider purchasing public."

Sounds like they still do not want to take full responsibility for that decision. And again with the re-done cover for a book that sits next to manga? Do they still think a lesser-manga-style will sell more? Isn't their biggest seller that manga-style Twilight graphic novel? Someone in their marketing dept is a tad confused.
thief_ac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I hate those western designs... I want the japanese one, manga style...
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I get what they're hinting at, but since these novels are have been almost exclusive to the manga section (at least they are at the book stores I've been to), wouldn't the "wider audience" the bookstores wish to appeal to be phased out because they're in that section?

Actually, the Barnes and Noble in my town has Yen Press' light novels in non-manga sections. Haruhi has been in the teen novels, and I just picked up Volume 1 of Spice and Wolf in the Fantasy section the other day.

I'm not a huge fan of the cover, but I'm glad Yen Press is going for a wider appeal. Also I don't feel as dorky reading them in public (Though one of my classmates commented today that just judging from the title and cover of Spice and Wolf it looked like a bad romance novel...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
loka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
A good decision. I hope they continue to opt for photographic representations of the original.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:

I don't read Spice & Wolf, but I agree, the cover for the 2nd volume is much better than the first. However, I don't know why retailers are complaining about the original cover of the light novels. I see that as disrepesct to the author. "Oh I'm sorry, we can't use your original cover because it's too manga-ish. We want something more realistic and western." Rolling Eyes Well, at least they're going to add the original covers. I'm glad people spoke out.

I follow a number of blogs by people in the YA publishing industry (authors, agents, ect) and it seems that novels with illustration covers don't sell as well, hence why most US YA novels go for photos. I don't know if still holds water but that seems a likely reason for the cover changes.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they'll reprint vol.1 like this somewhere down the line.
pi8you

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this is going to drive the OCD nuts-

1) Keep with slipcovers and have have V1 have the proper illustrated cover, and the rest with Western covers.
2) Take off the slipcovers, leaving horrendous Western V1 cover followed by the illustrated covers
3) Leave the slipcover on for V1 and have the rest without

Still, a good move on their part, I just wish they'd not have done it the way they did in the first place.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

While I didn't really have an issue with vol. 1's new cover (I understand Yen's position and, honestly, whatever lengths they need to go to to ensure they can keep releasing these beloved series and maintain the lvl of quality they have thus far, I'm okay with), I'm very happy to see this new compromise.

This way, no matter what proverbial "side of the fence" the S&W fan is on, they can't help but be happy with vol. 2. Anime catgrin

Once again, Yensters, you folks have shown your exceptional knowledge for both business and the fandom we call home.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. Not only is this a much better way to handle things, but the new illustration actually looks good.

Any chance they'll reprint the original with the proper artwork?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3