• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Like A Kid In A Candy Store

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UberTai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:44 am Reply with quote
Another great column, Liann, but I have a few questions.

The way you describe the Mermaid Saga volume, it makes me wonder why you didn't list it as a 'Buy It Now!' item. If it was because you tore the "sticker off of the cover and griped at the sticky residue it left behind," I would think that would be awfully harsh to downgrade a title just for that.

And in the Saikano review, the negatives seem more prominent than the positives, which makes me wonder what Chise and Shuji and doing on the 'Buy It Now!' list.

Other than those two concerns, excellent work. Manga is always tough to buy for and I'm glad some one is taking the time to sort out which titles we need to buy or not buy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:02 am Reply with quote
UberTai wrote:
The way you describe the Mermaid Saga volume, it makes me wonder why you didn't list it as a 'Buy It Now!' item. If it was because you tore the "sticker off of the cover and griped at the sticky residue it left behind," I would think that would be awfully harsh to downgrade a title just for that.

It's a borrow it because I would recommend borrowing it before buying it. :p The sticker has nothing to do with it. I was just mad at the sticker.

UberTai wrote:

And in the Saikano review, the negatives seem more prominent than the positives, which makes me wonder what Chise and Shuji and doing on the 'Buy It Now!' list.

There are lots of positives for Saikano. Basically Chise and Shuji's story is the selling point for me. I probably could've put all the reasons why I liked the manga, but the things I mentioned were the notable things that stood out to me. It's still a buyworthy title, I just didn't *gush* about it.

I will say that the first two titles in "Borrow It" could've very easily been "Buy Its." But, I since really couldn't make a solid decision on that (since, I did enjoy them, and they were good, but they weren't oustanding) they got the borrow it tag. There was a big rift between the great and the good and I think you can see it in the column.
sailor_moon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:

It's a borrow it because I would recommend borrowing it before buying it. :p The sticker has nothing to do with it. I was just mad at the sticker.

You and me both! I got most of the gooey stuff off though. At first I wasn't going to try to take it off because I figured that it would stick too well to the matte cover, but once I started, I couldn't stop.

Oh well.

Sad
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:33 am Reply with quote
Accurate from those I've read (Mermaid Saga, Princess Ai). A small recommendation to an otherwise exellent collumn: could there be a little more variety? It seems that the mangas reviewed here are limited to Shojo and some regular action stuff from Tokyopop and Viz. Alot of people buy Darkhorse's new stuff (Trigun, Hellsing), and I have yet to see those in one of these articles (forgive me if I'm wrong) so I'm sure alot of people might appreciate if you included at least Trigun in the column. I'd also recommed Vagabond, because its just so great. In any case good job.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks for reading!

I've included Trigun Maximum about...3 columns ago? Have I forgotten to include Hellsing? I guess I have. I have had some guy stuff in there...Prince of Tennis, Ai Yori Aoshi, Culdcept, Planetes...I think that first column in June was almost all guy stuff. :p

Usually I have more variety, but sometimes all that's out is shoujo...since it basically dominates the market. Believe me, I work hard to try and buy guy titles too. In fact I was just talking about it with Tempest the other day. Anime smile

I try to focus on either vol.1s or volumes close to the beginning/end of a series. I could do a review for Vagabond, but it's up to what...vol. 11...12?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:17 am Reply with quote
Yea, I just picked up volume 13 the other day, so that would be difficult. I just looked at the Trigun review too Embarassed . In any good job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1