• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales from Earthsea in NYC, LA, SF, Seattle, Honolulu

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
The Landmark's a pain in the ass of a commute for non-Westwood Angelenos. I was hoping they'd screen it at the El Capitan or thereabouts instead, but it's not one of the "better" Ghibli films, so I guess it's just being put out there for kids who don't want to watch Scott Pilgrim and who are too young for Expendables. The only time I went there was for the DC of Blade Runner, and exiting the parking lot there was a nightmare. I will admit the seating and picture quality there's top-notch, though. Alas, I was also hoping that when the DVD/BD release would happen, Di$ney would sneak in Only Yesterday along with it, but Ultimate Disney still has no release date for that latter film. Crying or Very sad
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
Hmm...I heard this movie borders on several forms of suckage... Which is truly saddening considering it's Ghibli, and Miyazaki kin.

Anyone here seen it?
Markerlight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:42 am Reply with quote
That's weird, I bought this on DVD years ago. It's a rare thing for Australia to get something before the US. Unfortunately the movie sucks, possibly even more than the Sci-Fi channel movie which I've also seen.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Hmm...I heard this movie borders on several forms of suckage... Which is truly saddening considering it's Ghibli, and Miyazaki kin.

Anyone here seen it?

It's awful.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
I honestly cannot believe anyone really thinks that Earthsea is "awful." While it is pretty easily the worst Ghibli film, there are still plenty of really good aspects to it. Hell, if it wasn't Ghibli I'm sure there would be tons of people praising it, but since it has to go up against the best of the best it gets a pretty bad rap. That said, it does have a lot of issues...but I'm a fan.

Plus, the soundtrack is amazing as heck.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Alas, I was also hoping that when the DVD/BD release would happen, Di$ney would sneak in Only Yesterday along with it, but Ultimate Disney still has no release date for that latter film. Crying or Very sad

From your mouth to Eisner's ears!

Wow, if that happened, I'd buy 2... no, 3 copies! One to use, one to archive, and one to give to my cousin.

In any event, I will be checking this out just to sate my four year curiosity.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
Despite everything I like this movie a lot, and it's nice to know they're retaining the original dub cast.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
Damn it. Even though people say it sucks ass, I still wanted to check it out if it was playing at a theatre me...but it's not. Confused
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
About time this movie got some attention here in the US. Sucky or not, I still want to watch this movie.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Alas, I was also hoping that when the DVD/BD release would happen, Di$ney would sneak in Only Yesterday along with it, but Ultimate Disney still has no release date for that latter film. Crying or Very sad

From your mouth to Eisner's ears!

Eisner? What year is this? Laughing

Redlinks wrote:
About time this movie got some attention here in the US. Sucky or not, I still want to watch this movie.

And that's how Hollywood summer blockbusters sell. Laughing
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
You mean you haven't seen it yet?

Yeah, it's awful... unless you are an Earthsea & Ghibli's fan; then it's O.K., I think...
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Eisner? What year is this? Laughing

Oh? Well, I was trying to be facetious. I have to admit I haven't been keeping up with who's in charge of the Mouse House.
hypersoda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Minor correction: In the article, the NYC theater is spelled as Angelica, when it should be the Angelika.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
how 'bout aweful, but not dreadful. It looks pretty good, but story... yeah, no.

So, if'n it's cheap, and you got a matinee to spare, it won't kill you. If it's not local, though, I'd skip it.

If you are local... sometimes it's nice to see something animated, really big. Just don't take anyone who you are trying to prove anything to... "see, anime sucks!"
I doubt Goro will direct again...
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
The thing with this movie was it didn't even make any sense even in regards to the book. They just skipped around and did their own thing. I don't even think Ursala's books are even fit to be a Ghibli movie. They didn't explain anything to the viewer about the backgrounds of the world, the people nothing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2