• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tezuka's Buddha, Precure, Redline Film Trailers Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xScar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
Gah, what have they done to Tezuka's characters?!

I guess Tezuka Pro wouldn't let them copy the designs...? ...or so I hope.

I can't even tell if that first person shown is Siddhartha or not. The other two are Chapra and his mom, I guess.

Might want to link to the site somewhere in the article.
http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/buddha/ Click the link in the center of the page.

Also, Redline looks pretty cool. Will be interesting to watch once it comes out. Experimental-ish films like this always give a fun viewing.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I haven't been very excited about a lot of anime over the past year ("B Gata H Kei" was the only thing that really stuck out to me; the rest... well, I'm not going to discriminate others' tastes, but none of it seemed really great.) But with one of my all-time favorite manga series, the phenomenal and incomparable "Buddha", getting turned into a big-budget anime trilogy, my faith in the industry has been restored. I'm happy to see today's studios haven't forgotten about the classics. While it may seem like a very jaded thing for a young dude such as myself to say, a lot of anime seems to have taken a turn for the derivative. But with "Buddha", not to mention this impressive-looking "Redline" movie, I'm starting to be proud to call myself an anime fan again.

The late Tezuka's works turned me into a fan (well, his and Toriyama's), and now, years later, as I'm introducing the original "Buddha" manga to my girlfriend (I read 'em all when I was eleven), the newest adaptation of what I think is his masterwork has reconverted me.

Thank you for leaving us with such a grand legacy, God of Manga...
(god, I sound like an old dude...I need to get out more...)
Dune

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
The manga is impressive. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this film trilogy.

I was confused at first by Siddhartha's blue hair, but after some googling I found out that there's actually precedent for that in Buddhist artwork.
johnmora

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Color me as disappointed that they're calling this Osamu Tezuka's Buddha and throwing out all of the original character designs.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
johnmora wrote:
Color me as disappointed that they're calling this Osamu Tezuka's Buddha and throwing out all of the original character designs.
Hmm, yeah, I feel you on that one. However, I think what's more important is that they get across the thematic elements, tone and overall message that were prevalent in the original manga. After all, while Tezuka's style was a huge part of his work, the main reason (I think, at least) people adored his work was because of the stories he told, and the themes he laced within them.

I feel that as long as they don't change that, this will be a trilogy for the ages.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Different designs or not, I'm already loving it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Different designs or not, I'm already loving it.
Same! (high-fives!)
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
The more I see of Redline, the more promising it seems to be. Likewise, my limited Osamu Tezuka knowledge and my ignorance of all things Buddha doesn't stop me from looking forward to that project either.

I share the concern about changing Tezuka's character designs but it's little more than an aesthetic issue at heart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1