• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:

Back on topic - The boardroom scene was awesome. Talk about squirming in your seat!

Squirming in your seat?! How about sweating bullets and thinking seriously about wearing Depends!

I'm looking forward to seeing how Roy is going to get his a$$ out of this crack!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
Neat episode overall.

Monica Rial's May totally came through even better than I expected not knowing she had such a scene coming up.

Haberkorn was hilarious when Ling was starving, despite it being a pretty well-worn comedic scene it still brought a smile to my face.

I thought Envy was really good when getting to boast and soft-spoken Gluttony was as awesome as always.

Thought Bradley was great when Mustang's team was getting split up and Hawkeye was good as always in that scene.

Sweet cliffhangers.

Can't wait for next week! Too bad we'll have to wait for a while after that, but still looking forwards to it.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Quote:
Never had that problem. Whenever my hand automatically reaches for the remote to turn down the volume, I know it is a Haberkorn character.

Putting the issue aside, I remember that a year or two ago someone posted a question about the voice acting process and he actually logged in and posted a very nice reply, being in a position to answer the question. In other words, we know he reads the forum from time to time (or at least has in the past), so you might want to play nice and in general not write anything about a VA here you wouldn't say to them personally.

Back on topic - The boardroom scene was awesome. Talk about squirming in your seat!

You are recommending that I sugarcoat my opinion "in case" a VA comes along and reads it? Nothing I wrote was slanderous about the guy. Just that the way he voices most characters offends my ears. There are only 2 response I've given when coming across a well known persons; I complement their work to their face or I completely ignore their existence if I don't like their performance. Haberkorn would fall to the latter.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:36 am Reply with quote
The new cast members continue to get better as they get used to the character. Monica Rial nailed May, and J Michael Tatum continues to impress me with Scar. The rest of the character nails their characters. A great episode overall as the political plot continues, the series has grown leaps and bound now that the story and world is setup as Hiromu Arakawa unleashes her sharply parted work of art.

and hey So and so is back is Jesuotaku going to come and try to tell me how this series needs a ballroom dancing scene with Ed and a near comatose woman that Ed barely knows or how about Al pretends his a haunted suit of armor?

Also Eureka 7 was released by Bandai, not Funimation.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:08 am Reply with quote
That's Charred Knight for you. Can't breathe word about this series without insulting the first one with ridiculous oversimplifying.

Vic Mignogna certainly makes a brave effort in trying to act, but alas, has no emotional dimension whatsoever. And it doesn't help that Wendy Powell's Envy is the worst voice in the entire dub.

But I will agree that Tatum's Scar has improved, as well as Rial's May. It helps that Tatum has stopped whispering all the time.

I'm even beginning to enjoy Blaylock's Bradley. It's not as intimidating as Hibata's, but he's at least moved past "vaguely sinister" and into "genuinely sinister" sounding. Especially when he talked about Hughes' funeral.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
That's Charred Knight for you. Can't breathe word about this series without insulting the first one with ridiculous oversimplifying.

I just checked the last time I insulted the first FMA in this thread was months ago in late april . Once people like So and So and JesuOtaku stopped posting I stopped insulting the first series. Now I have insulted the show in other threads, but in this thread most of my recent posts have been strictly about the second series.

In your defense I was actually shocked by that, I thought I insulted the first series more too, but I have actually been on good behavior in this thread at least for a while.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
My mistake, then. I'm probably just being oversensitive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
To be fair it's entirely because all the people who didn't like Brotherhood stopped posting (notice how it began again simply because SoandSo just showed up). I know that I have a personality problem, I know that I get obsessive, and I would be lying if I said that I haven't insulted the first series in months, I just haven't insulted it in this thread in months.

After the last couple of weeks I am honestly questioning if I was a little too harsh with Brotherhood, as mediocre as the first 13 episodes have been, I have honestly been enjoying the past few episodes more than I did when I was watching the subs streaming.

It's possible that it's simply the fact that I am watching it on a comfy chair on a big screen tv instead of a hard chair in my room with a computer but really this series is really a 10 when I would inititally call it a 9. I mean I can't wait until Funimation releases this.

This episode really doesn't have flaws, the comedy was hilarious, the voice acting was great (yoki in particular is a vast improvement over the Japanese version), and the pace never made me get up, I was totally immersed into the story which is amazing as I have already read the manga and saw this subtitled.

I also agree with you on Blaylock as he seems to have gained more range. Though the real test is in the final arc so we will have to wait for that.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
This episode was good. Ling was pretty funny as previously mentioned.

But, I just get the feeling that this episode was a build-up (ie provided some quick explanations) for some REALLY good episodes that may be coming up.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
For the first time (but not the last) this anime has surpassed the manga with the scene where the gate closes and then Ed PUNCHES THE GATE OPEN! My god is that scene badass! I mean that's why I am buying this anime because occasionally Brotherhood manages to surpass the source material.

Generally speaking this anime keeps on getting better something that will continue until the end. I have no more objections over Ling's voice actor now, and this dub continues to be stellar. I will miss watching brand new episodes and hopefully the poor ratings doesn't mean that AS won't pick up the rest of the series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's a really powerful scene. One of my favorites. And Vic Mignogna wasn't terrible in it, either (but no Romi Paku), which was a surprise. But Maxey Whitehead, she's an amazing Alphonse.

I never liked the over-explaining the episode did, though. But I guess when you think about it, some of that stuff does come into play later on. It just feels a bit overwhelming.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
A lot of technobabble, but that balanced nicely with May Chang's fighting moves against the chimeras and Ed finding Al's body.

The Fuhrer was a really cute baby. Too bad he's an evil puppet leader now housing hundreds of tortured souls, and all that jazz.

So how long do you think we have to wait for new dubbed eps?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
I never really saw that as overexplaining, all of that information comes into play, and it's better to make sure your audience has that information. You just can't have explanations that are like one line long in the middle of the series or people are not going to get it.

We know what Father plans (to surpass God and become a perfect being), we know how his going to do (steal everyone in Amestris' soul), we now know how the homunculi where created (using the souls of the population of Xerxes). All of that information was given to us in a logical way (Ed's a genius and knew what the symbols that Father tried to hide meant).

It's this kind of exposition which makes FMA not only an intelligent show, but one that's easy to follow.

Agent355 wrote:
A lot of technobabble, but that balanced nicely with May Chang's fighting moves against the chimeras and Ed finding Al's body.

The Fuhrer was a really cute baby. Too bad he's an evil puppet leader now housing hundreds of tortured souls, and all that jazz.

So how long do you think we have to wait for new dubbed eps?

Actually rewatch Bradley's story, he only has one soul, what happened was that when the Philosopher's stone was injected the hundreds of souls in it began to fight each other over control of the body until only one remained. King Bradley mentions that he doesn't know whose soul it is, if it's the original soul or if its one from the philosopher's stone.

This is incredibly important
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
Awesome episode, loved all the new story pieces that came in rapid succession from many different areas, some great payoff from last week's buildup, and nice long-term cliffhanger that obviously won't get resolved right away, works pretty well for a tease too since we've got the hiatus to deal with now.

As someone who's seen the first series and episodes from it a number of times and not familiar with the manga much at all, I actually kind of really enjoyed the explanations and extra detail since they did it so effectively and concisely because it nicely specified some of the differences between the two versions of "how things are working and linking together in the plot/alchemy/the homunculi/the gate etc." and they did it to simultaneously develop a lot of interesting and seemingly important bits and not just with exposition or info-dumping of info only useful short term. There's that extra something about the way both Fullmetal series have handled this task, as just said by Charred Knight, that I also think is one of things that elevates the franchise beyond it's base.

Yeah, loved the part where he busts through the gate, I thought Vic did it pretty awesome as he was finally pulled out after that. Totally agree on Maxey, she's been amazing, there were glimpses of the Al voice right away but she's got it down pat and has been nailing it for a while now and was great at that moment.

Great job with May on all her different quickly changing moods while they were following Al and her pet. Given how easily the character could be played annoyingly, she's been even more outstanding making her really fun to watch. Awesome moves back-to-back with Scar Smile

Scar's new voice really grew on me this episode, the other time was the episode with his flashback, so he's made some really nice progress for me Smile

I wasn't expecting to get so much Bradley background so that was really neat, he did a good job on those scenes and talking with Mustang and the supporting VAs did a real nice job making those guys suitably creepy, arrogant bastards.

I don't know how much significance it might have to Envy, being a homunculus, but I hope they address Ling going through the gate or they atleast have him say something about it?

Since we'll have to deal with the hiatus now, great episodes like these were the reason I waited to experience this show the same way I did the first one in dubbed form since I enjoyed it so much that way last time and they've really done a great job re-captured the magic of that dub for Brotherhood as they've gone along. It's great to experience it again.

Can't wait for my blu-ray to arrive and re-watch a bunch of these episodes.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Helices

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
I need to catch up with this.

I really like this show but I've missed a lot unfortunately.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 28