• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, August 1-7

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
GO BAKUMAN. Still gotta pick up my volume Smile
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone getting the impression that there's a lot more turnover than usual?
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
BAKUMAN! Very Happy Also, D.Gray-man. <3

And wtf, Return to Labyrinth made the list? Didn't Tokyopop cancel that a few years ago due to low sales before some fans on Amazon convinced them to uncancel it? Shocked

Twilight rises from the dead...
skafreak51

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
That's kind of why I don't believe these NYT best seller lists.

What is the #1 series up there? I've NEVER heard of it. I'm sure most manga fans haven't. Yet it's number 1?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Gotta wonder why an American fantasy graphic novel is listed in the "manga" best seller list.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
What is the #1 series up there? I've NEVER heard of it. I'm sure most manga fans haven't. Yet it's number 1?

It's a book series about cats that live in the wild in clans. Think Harry Potter, but no magic, more mystery/war, and with cats. I had no idea they made a manga of it. Smile
HatsumiShinogu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
It seems Black Bird is becoming very popular. I do like it quite a lot but not my favorite shojo. However I am a big fan of Skip.Beat! and it makes me happy to see it on the list.

As for Bakuman, I got the first volume but I cannot say I am all that interested in getting the next volumes.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote
Awesome to see Bakuman doing so well with its first volume in the US! Very Happy
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quote
Good to see FMA there, but I have to play catch up and buy all the other volumes first.

Last edited by mglittlerobin on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
FMAvatard wrote:
skafreak51 wrote:

It's a book series about cats that live in the wild in clans. Think Harry Potter, but no magic, more mystery/war, and with cats. I had no idea they made a manga of it. Smile

They had a bunch of authors write a bunch of graphic novels based on the series. IMO, the only one that's really enjoyable is Rise of Scourge.

Eh, but I totally started getting annoyed with the book series after the first arc ended. That one was great: death, themes, faulted characters, plot twists...Then the second arc was "meh," but not bad. I gave up at the third. I don't see how anyone thought introducing Mary Sue Millie was a great idea. The fourth is being released, and the fifth will be a prequel (I might check the latter out, though).
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
Awesome to see Bakuman doing so well with its first volume in the US! Very Happy

It is! Very Happy I pre-ordered mine because I love the series but I didn't know so many people would buy it as well. It's a surprise that it's on the top 10 but it also so great that it's doing well here in the US.

Though I only hope people didn't buy it because it says was by the creators of Death Note on the front cover Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop It isn't like it at all but it's really good.

Now gotta get the 2nd one.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WolfLoner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Is anyone getting the impression that there's a lot more turnover than usual?

No Rolling Eyes and what turnover is that?

I am looking here for 2010 total manga sells in total, you know how the manga publishers blame the lack of sells on the manga Scanlations group well i am looking for the actually numbers, which may prove them wrong.

And of course manga publishers actions on the manga scanlations groups will hurt them.

Anyone here going to take any bets?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Um... dare I even ask this...? Why are 2 of these 10 titles not even manga? As in, they were originally written in English by English speakers, have nothing to do with Japan, and in one case is based on an English-written series? What are the standards for inclusion in this list?
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
HatsumiShinogu wrote:
As for Bakuman, I got the first volume but I cannot say I am all that interested in getting the next volumes.
Bakuman really does get better and better as the story progresses. Then again, they get more in depth about Manga. Basically, more things happen that has things with Manga, Anime hyper.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Um... dare I even ask this...? Why are 2 of these 10 titles not even manga? As in, they were originally written in English by English speakers, have nothing to do with Japan, and in one case is based on an English-written series? What are the standards for inclusion in this list?
Could it be that they are licensed by a company that also license/release Manga in North America?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2