• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, August 15-21

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
And Yen Press claimed via proxy that the stomping out of scanlations helped their bottom line. All I see are mostly VIZ titles!!
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
And Yen Press claimed via proxy that the stomping out of scanlations helped their bottom line. All I see are mostly VIZ titles!!

This is a top ten list. Even if Yen's bottom line increased in sales, they still wouldn't make this list.
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, amazing that Kuroshitsuji volume 2 is still hanging in there. *__* How many weeks has it been on the chart?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
12 weeks.

Fujoshi/Fangirls are really proving their worth in the manga market.
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
12 weeks.

Wait until Hetalia volume 1 comes out. Very Happy
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

This is a top ten list. Even if Yen's bottom line increased in sales, they still wouldn't make this list.

Not to mention there have been weeks where Yen dominated the list.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
12 weeks.

We have to. We get next to nil in the anime market which is testosterone/moe/fanservice heavy.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
12 weeks.

We have to. We get next to nil in the anime market which is testosterone/moe/fanservice heavy.

Seconded.

I'm actually kinda surprised Black Butler's hung in there for so long. And also what someone else said; once Hetalia hits the shelves, then you'll see our power.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more. I mean, sure, every once in awhile we can a series aimed towards girls, but that doesn't necessarily equal a good series.

I want a series that at least has equal opportunity fanservice. If it can offer a solid plot, enjoyable characters and great animation quality, I would literally jump for joy.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
12 weeks.

Their are plenty of series aimed at girls with hot guys like Code Geas, and Gundam 00
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
12 weeks.

Their are plenty of series aimed at girls with hot guys like Code Geas, and Gundam 00

Oh wow. Mecha shows. Excuse me as I squeal in excitement. It's going to happen... any minute now... Umm... yeah. Those are totally targeting girls, because, you know, they have pretty boy character designs. Rolling Eyes

I watched one of those. Mecha shows? No thank you. Code Geass didn't do anything for me other than have me go ".... that one looks like Syaoran, and that one looks like Kamui" as any true CLAMP fan would think. Meanwhile one of my most favorite recent series, Skip Beat! and the newer Maid-sama, continue to go unlicensed and very likely never will.

Maybe I should have reworded what I was getting at earlier. There's nothing out there in the North American anime market that JUST targets girls, aka shoujo anime. Perhaps we're just not a big enough market, but this is the lowest point I've ever seen North America get in catering to my crowd since I became an anime fan in the mid to late 1990s. It's like shoujo is dead. I grew up buying Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Utena, Kare Kano, Cardcaptor Sakura, Escalfowne, Fushigi Yugi, Ayashi no Ceres, Marmalade Boy, etc, and that's just naming a few. Call me a sentimental fool, but I miss those days.

My anime purchases over the last five years can easily be counted on one hand: Gakuen Alice, Princess Tutu, Paradise Kiss, Kino's Journey, Emma. If theres a series that recently came out that fits with this group I'm all ears... no? Nothing other than Nana? Maybe Kodocha. I forget if that was the last 5 years.

Ah well, I'll just save up my money for that Utena re-release that'll be coming out soon. As long as someone re-licenses Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura, the whole rest of the industry can die at this point for all I care if Vampire Knight is the best it can offer me right now.

Keep the shoujo manga coming though. That's where 75% of my spending money goes now.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

And you don't think Viz hasn't seen their titles helped by Onemanga & others no longer putting Bleach & other stuff up?

At TRSI Yen has about 400 volumes up for purchase.
Viz has about 2800 volumes offered.

I believe I've noticed Yen releases a lot of the titles I like at the end of the month so we might be between releases on their bigger titles. The next Black Butler, Pandora Hearts, & Soul Eater are due out on Halloween.
TRSI just shipped my Shaman King 30 & Hoshin Engi 20 (street 9/7) & Bleach 32 (street 9/1). I imagine with a larger number of titles, Viz finds it necessary to release more books any given week.
Yen has some excellent titles & there have been weeks when they have an amazing presence on the Bestseller list, but I believe they're a month or so out from their big titles' last releasesI know I received the last 1001 Nights a week or so ago, but I don't believe that it was a huge seller for them. I'm just glad with all the titles I've had dropped at least this one finally made it to the end (started with Ice Kunion) (VIZ! TRSI just notified me the Reborn I ordered were cancelled. I'm hoping maybe switching to a double-volume format to finish, but I fear it's just gone like Bastard)
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Ah well, I'll just save up my money for that Utena re-release that'll be coming out soon. As long as someone re-licenses Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura, the whole rest of the industry can die at this point for all I care if Vampire Knight is the best it can offer me right now.

Keep the shoujo manga coming though. That's where 75% of my spending money goes now.

If a company re-licensed Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura and gave them the quality of dub we're hearing these days, I may just die of happiness. Or cry.

I hadn't really sat down and looked at it statistically, but I suppose you're right. Pure shoujo fluff is an endangered species in today's moe-moe and fanserive, otaku-pandering anime, but I still gotta hold out hope for this to go back around. Trends in media are repetitive, after all.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
12 weeks.

Oh wow. Mecha shows. Excuse me as I squeal in excitement. It's going to happen... any minute now... Umm... yeah. Those are totally targeting girls, because, you know, they have pretty boy character designs. Rolling Eyes

You do know that most people in Japan who watched Code Geass, and Gundam 00 where girls right? It wasn't even close either.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:57 am Reply with quote
Code Geass and Gundam 00 were a couple of a number of shows that tried to target both genders. Giant mech war for guys, bishonen and romantic soap opera for girls.

Now of this list all I got was Bakuman. Though I am curious about Black Butler to see what a number of female friends have been raving about. Plus the art looks nice.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Patterson's graphic novel / manga is selling so well with such a big name in publishing. Though I think that any non-import shouldn't be on here, even if it did dominate the competition. Still, it's produced for the US first and should be compared with like books, not reprints of Japanese material. The whole publishing structure is different. The actual manga is a secondary market for the book featured while for stuff like Maximum Ride America is the primary audience.

And holy hell... I have every single one of those graphic novel paperbacks. Then again over half the list is Scott Pilgrim.

And I'm slightly bothered that Watchmen and Killing Joke are still on there. They've both excellent books and I've had both since much earlier editions from at least ten plus years ago, Yet there are plenty of other books for people to discover. Geez. All because of movie buzz from a year or two years ago. Makes me wonder how long Scott Pilgrim's gonna be up there. Plus Walking Dead still strong with that getting a TV show soon.

Actually, that also makes me wonder how well the upcoming manga High School of the Dead will do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2