• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NEC Biglobe Launches Free Bilingual Manga-Boshi Web Mag

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
Images displayed as regular jpegs (and with a compression level that doesn't leave massive macroblocking artefacts everywhere), no pointless javascript or silly flash nonsense? And without region locking? Wonderful! Image resolution could be a bit higher, some tidier editing, and any font other than Comic Sans wouldn't go amiss, but this is off to a far better start than any other online manga site I've seen.
Glimon_91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
Plus, ITS LEGAL Very Happy
Anyone knows any other service that works like this already? Free legal manga online? I just know that Crunchy is working on something but there may be another portal I missed...
mai21

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Viz's English Ikki site also has manga free and legal online, I think some of their other websites do too.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Very cool, I'll be sure to check out all the stories later.

mai21 wrote:
Viz's English Ikki site also has manga free and legal online, I think some of their other websites do too.

But on most of those sites the manga is read on an application which is kinda messy. This site is more along the lines that scanlators use, each page is on it's own webpage and I personally find that style a lot easier to navigate.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
This site can use a basic design and .jpg images because it's publishing amateur/student/independent work that isn't intended to make money. This seems like it's meant to give the students experience with creating work for the public to view and to let them get their names out there. I think it's a great idea and I like how it's carried out (aside from Comic Sans...) but I don't think this method of presentation would work for a publisher of most professional, licensed works.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
This site can use a basic design and .jpg images because it's publishing amateur/student/independent work that isn't intended to make money. [...] but I don't think this method of presentation would work for a publisher of most professional, licensed works.
Which is pretty crazy when you think about it. When sites you're expected to pay for are worse to use than free sites, no wonder people don't want to pay for them!
It's not even as if using some horrible flash player or lacing a page with javascript is going to stop piracy in any way: all it will do is direct people elsewhere once they get fed up with the horrible interface. All it takes to 'break' any DRM is a single person who gets fed up and knows how to use a flash decompiler, a html sniffer, or simply printscreen and photoshop.

There doesn't appear to be a 'contact us' form or email address that I can find (either on the MangaBoshi section or the Creator's Planet parent page) to send feedback to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1