• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Short and Bittersweet

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manafairy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:47 am Reply with quote
I was pretty disappointed with last week's column but seeing GetBackers at the very top of this week's brought back some of my dwindling faith. It's great to see someone else enoying GB even nearly as much as I am Very Happy

Well since I started commenting anyways, I might as well continue. I must say, I certainly agree with the review of DNAngel 3. While I did enjoy the third volume, I really felt it could have been much better. As well, I found the first two volumes to be far more interesting. Although I was quite happy to see the lack of an "extra" story. I really, REALLY hate those Anime hyper

I still haven't gotten around to reading Rave Master 10 yet but being I thuroughly enjoyed the last few volumes I intend to soon. With how intense the last arc was, it's not surprising to hear this one lightens up and becomes kind of filler-esque. Oh well, at the very least, Seig Heart is supposed to make an appearance Anime catgrin

Oops, sorry, I didn't intend for my post to end up this long. Actually, the only reason I posted was to compliment you on your GB praise, but I guess I kind of went of on a tangent. Nice work Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:53 am Reply with quote
Yay! Renewed faith in RTO!

I'm glad you enjoyed the GetBackers review. I was really pleased that they kinda kicked the quality up because it a good series.

Again, thanks for the feedback!
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Hey, what happened to the edit? I noticed I told you about is still there.

Oh, and RTO is freakin awesome!
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh...oops. *lol* I just fixed that. :p

As far as "RTO being freakin' awesome..." I'm glad you like it. ^_^
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Good RTO this week! I'm thinking of giving Get Backers a second chance (I liked the first book, but the next one kind of bored me). Too bad I just spent all my money on Mirror of the Soul... but it was worth it of course Very Happy
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, give GetBackers a second go. After the first 3 volumes I'd be pretty hesitant of sticking with it. I'm a fan of the show, though, so I told myself to trudge through the slow spots.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:46 am Reply with quote
I don't think you take requests, but it would be really nice if you could include Berserk vol.4 in a future RTO. I think alot of people read the first one because of all the hype surrounding the series and were turned off because it was little more than a gore feast. The first three volumes are like this, and when I first read them I wasn't impressed. But the fourth one starts the big flashback and really grows into the epic masterpiece that everyone talks about online. A review in RTO might help alot of people who dismissed it come around (Its intended for older males, but I can really see some girls maybe likeing it as well because of incredible characters and a bit of homoeroticy).
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...let me think about Berserk. I've mentioned before that I try to do volumes as close to the beginning or end of a series as possible, but when a week is slow (like this one) I do include higher volumes. Thanks for the suggestion!
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I just picked up Legend of CH today, and even though I'm going to catch alot of flack for saying this, I was disapointed and underwhelmed. It was well written, but the storys had little supstance to them. Too much time was spent establishing characters in the first story, and the main conflict was rushed. Fairly good art, but not their best either. Its an amusing read, and better than some other one volume mangas I've read, but still disapointing.
I think its pretty hard for many manga artists to write a great one volume manga because most of them today use decompressed storytelling, which is difficult to do a very short story with. Ironically, the one volume work that I would consider a true masterpiece is Domu: A Child's Dream, by Katsuhiro Otomo, the man who in many ways popularised this storytelling technique. The paceing and characters really are perfect and the ideas about evil's relationship to innocence are very deep.
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Oh, and RTO is freakin awesome!
Yes! So true! Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:56 am Reply with quote
Hey Liann, any way to set up a list of of all the manga that has been review on Right Turn only (with links to that RTO) , kind of like the review section. Seperate them into the "must buy" and "borrow it" can help many preview all the must buy. Sometimes I would want to look up a title that might of been review on RTO such as King of Hell and that would mean going through all of the Right Turn only just to find it. Also I think it would be a great log for the title u review so far.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Hey Liann, any way to set up a list of of all the manga that has been review on Right Turn only (with links to that RTO) , kind of like the review section. Seperate them into the "must buy" and "borrow it" can help many preview all the must buy. Sometimes I would want to look up a title that might of been review on RTO such as King of Hell and that would mean going through all of the Right Turn only just to find it. Also I think it would be a great log for the title u review so far.

I completely agree! You cannot guess how many times I've gone through anime and then had to dig through the Shelf Lifes to see if Bamboo had reviewed it in her column. It'd be helpful for both RTO and SL. That's a great idea. I'll have to ask the powers that be if it would be possible. Thanks!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:01 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

I completely agree! You cannot guess how many times I've gone through anime and then had to dig through the Shelf Lifes to see if Bamboo had reviewed it in her column. It'd be helpful for both RTO and SL. That's a great idea. I'll have to ask the powers that be if it would be possible. Thanks!

Actually, if you go to the encyclopedia for anime or manga and go to the title you want, there's a list at the bottom that says "related releases." There, you'll have all the DVDs/manga that are in our release database. If you click on it, it'll take you to that release page for the DVD/manga. At the bottom, there will be links that say, "This volume was reviewed in blah blah blah."

Example:
Ghost in the Shell: SAC Special Edition vol. 1
You'll notice the line that says:
Quote:
This volume was reviewed in the Shelf Life column of August 23, 2004

with a link to that particular column.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:12 am Reply with quote
Well, after reading it again (the first time I was a bit tired and actually forgot that I never finished it Embarassed I've got a horrible attention span thats actually gotten worse as I get older, I usually can't watch a movie in one sitting Shocked ) I got more out of Legend of CH, and I take back some of my critisisms of it. I can now say its one of the best one shots I've read, tied in second with Benkei in New York. I guess I look stupid for changeing my opinion so quickly Confused .
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:19 am Reply with quote
Oooh...see, I hardly ever go to the release page. I usually just hang out in that first encyc page for a particular entry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1