• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Excel Saga, Noir, Bubblegum Crisis 2040

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I always wanted to see Noir but thought the price was to high.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I look forward to see more licensing rescues. Very Happy
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:

Trust me you live a better life because of it. I bought that whole series back when it was first coming out expecting it to get good and it never did.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Unlike it's spinoff Puni Puni Poemy, ADV's releases of Excel Saga is very hard to find around here so this is very good news and i'll be looking forward to the new set. Very Happy

Last edited by NJ_ on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ADV Films licenses: Noir and Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040. All three titles will be released in North America in 2011.

That is a promising start. Now all that remains to be licensed is the original Bubblegum Crisis, an inexpensive copy of which I'm having difficulty locating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
It does have its faults, but it is a good series. If you like the "girls with guns" genre then you may want to check Noir out. Out of the four Beetrain "girls with guns" shows(Noir, Madlax, El Cazador and Phantom) many including myself believe Noir is the best.

Last edited by The Count on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear I can own Excel Saga for a good price.

I already have Noir, and I'm a Bubblegum Crisis fan so I'd never own 2040.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Noir is my favorite series of all time. I already own two complete sets of DVDs, the playing cards, a wall scroll, the lunchbox and all the music CDs, so I will certainly buy this release.

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, I will not buy again, by itself. I'll wait for someone to rescue the entire franchise; original series, Bubblegum Crash, and all that wonderful music. (I would pay much for a CD of that music.)

Yes, keep the good old stuff alive for future generations!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming Excel Saga won't have the AD-Vidnotes, so I'll just end up tracking down the IM-Perfect collection (like have been for a few months, actually). Hopefully a rerelease will drop the prices I've seen to reasonable ones.

Excel Saga is strange one for me, though. I watched the first half a long time ago and didn't find it all that great, but I believe it's because I was still an anime rookie and Nabeshin's style was too much for me. I remember hating Nerima Daikon Brothers when I first saw it, but once I became more seasoned I ended up liking it a good bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Once again more series I won't be buying from Funimation. I picked all three of these up for less than $50 each at Best Buy some time ago.

The last Noir thin pack they put out was beautiful. Plus, it had all the special features including the sock puppet theater, which the Funi set probably will not. ("Someone forked Hillary!") It's good to see such a fantastic series remaining in print, but the ADV sets are still pretty easy to come across and will likely be clearance priced soon.

I usually prefer that titles stay with the companies that originally localized them, especially in this case since ADV basically just became Section 23 and Sentai. It never quite seems right when someone else is benefiting from the work that ADV, CPM, Geneon, etc put into a title. It's always good to see some good series staying in print, but there's something about it that just makes me a bit sad.

Of course, it's probably better that Sentai keeps spending money on new titles, as well as producing more dubs and blurays, than spending money on older licenses that have already been released.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Noir is one of my favorites but I already have two sets and probably won't want to triple dip for it. Excel Saga and Bubblegum Crisis are on my acquisition list though so this is good news.
GMSenpai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
ADV Films licenses: Noir and Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040. All three titles will be released in North America in 2011.

That is a promising start. Now all that remains to be licensed is the original Bubblegum Crisis, an inexpensive copy of which I'm having difficulty locating.

The original Bubblegum Crisis is on Hulu for free. Granted its the dub and not on DVD, but the price is right.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Pretty cool acquisitions on Funi's part.
My brother and I have seen several clips from Excel Saga from different AMVs (particularly AMV Hell 3-5), and both of us have had the "WTF?" reaction to it. I think he may have more of the urge to check it out over me, however, so this news may be of more interest to him when he comes home. Anime hyper
Yumeko-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
As a HUGE BGC fan, I must reply.

AnimEigo still has the rights to the original Crisis and Crash (and AD Police Files). The remastered boxset is available on their site for $34.95 with free shipping inside the US.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, we all already knew that Excel Saga was rescued. Good to see Noir getting rescued to, though--I'll probably pick it up. I've never seen it, but the only two opinions I've ever heard from it is that "It's amazing." or that "It sucks ass." I'll take a gamble.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5