• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 6 Most Indispensible Team Pets

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Where's number 1? It goes from 6-2.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Transportation is great, but let's face it: how can you beat a ninja dog?

Two ninja cats.

Anyway, from Magical Madoka, I nominate ... Madoka. Just think about it.

Luna from Sailor Moon who not only can out Jiminy Cricket Jiminy Cricket but she's also the brains of the operation.

Also, there's that thing from Clamp, looks like a Pokemon went through ten week chocolate shake diet? Shows up in Magical Knights Rayearth and Tsubasa? Really the only good thing about those shows.

Speaking about Poke... No, no.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
Not sure why Mughi didn't make the list, other than the author not having seen Dirty Pair. I can't even count the number of times the Lovely Angels have needed Mughi to bail them out of trouble. But I guess this is more of a cute team pet list.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Pikachu isn't on the list. But not surprised Boota made number 1.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I was gonna ask why chopper wasn't on the list, but then again, he's not a pet... despite what the marines think.

If I were to put a reccomendation though I would have said Umagon, albet he isn't really a pet, he sort of acts like it, and is just as useful *when his spells come in of course*
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Glad Kirara made the list. I'm surprised I didn't see any of the creatures from Letter Bee on here, but another good list.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Pikachu for #1
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
so, I'd have to quibble about Ryu-oh-ki being just transportation, and also about her owner.
Ryoko owns/mothers her, and as such she is one of the most feared pirate ships in the Universe... capable of destroying planet sized battleships and taking on 1st and second gen Juraian Royal ships with ease... That she loves Tenchi to the point of sacrificing herself for him, makes her very strong. The fact that the sacrifice leads to having a sister named Fuku...

well, now you have 2 amazingly cute and insanely powerful weapons cruising around and causing havoc in an adorable way. Just don't make 'em mad.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Plue instead of Happy? I call bull. Confused

And the lack of Pikachu is completely unforgivable.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I voted Science fiction... but one of my favorite things about anime is how blended it often is between Science Fiction and fantasy. The hardest part is the definition, I suppose. For this purpose I am defining SF as having traits that are readily explainable by science, and fantasy as having traits that aren't explainable, but are somehow powerful beyond human.

More traditionally, Fantasy tends to be low or no technology, and quests or problems are solved without it. Here's where magic is often involved. For me, the blending of the two is often what draws me, even if I tend to like the perspective of technology in the main.

Full Metal Panic, would be a good hard SF example, that at it's base has a 'black technology' that is more easily understood as magic, even though they never say it that way. The most powerful part of the technology is that which captures the latent power of the human spirit, and makes that power manifest.

On the other hand, Bounen no Xam'd is really the other way, where the technology is a backdrop for magical elements that power the story along. The overlap of that magic overlay of technology is never explained, and doesn't need to be. It's still a quest more powerful than the human imagination, and requires the human spirit to complete.

RahXephon, the same, though somewhat explainable by science, IF you knew the science of higher dimensions. It requires transcending technology. Eva only looks like science, until you get deeper in, and then it's apparent that it isn't a science at a human level.

Tenchi/GXP/ElHazard/Dual/Isekai no Sekishi Monogatari is another entire universe where what we understand as magic on our level is more science on higher levels, and the blending of the two makes for a pretty varied story... sometimes pretty much all hard SF like GXP and Dual, and sometimes not, like Tenchi Muyo and Sekishi, but all threaded through each other.

This is not to say that I don't enjoy a Moribito, or Claymore, or Samurai7. I like all the mix, as much as I like all the Macross... even though it's tech is based on what might be called magic [Macross Zero]

D'ya want to call Last Exile and Fam just sci-fi? To me it's so much richer.

There is that whole thing about any sufficiently advance technology being no different from magic, yeah? I like 'em both.
Lambdacat

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Okay, but where are Luna from SM and Mokona?
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I had to do a double take on Plue, not because he's on the list, but because I saw the name 'Lucy Heartfilia' and 'Fairy Tail'. I haven't seen the show, so I had no idea that Plue was in it. I only know him from Rave Master.

If I recall, isn't Fairy Tail from the same author as Rave Master? If Plue is in both, are they in anyway canon to each other?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
I voted Science fiction... but one of my favorite things about anime is how blended it often is between Science Fiction and fantasy. The hardest part is the definition, I suppose. For this purpose I am defining SF as having traits that are readily explainable by science, and fantasy as having traits that aren't explainable, but are somehow powerful beyond human.

More traditionally, Fantasy tends to be low or no technology, and quests or problems are solved without it. Here's where magic is often involved. For me, the blending of the two is often what draws me, even if I tend to like the perspective of technology in the main.

Finkies vs. Speckies! Don't be a wuss - pick a side! Laughing

And some of the best pets are in Heaven's Lost Property.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Pikachu isn't a pet. And even if he was, he isn't as 100% instrumental to the plot of the series he's in, unlike Chamo, who did make the list.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I had to do a double take on Plue, not because he's on the list, but because I saw the name 'Lucy Heartfilia' and 'Fairy Tail'. I haven't seen the show, so I had no idea that Plue was in it. I only know him from Rave Master.

If I recall, isn't Fairy Tail from the same author as Rave Master? If Plue is in both, are they in anyway canon to each other?

Probably not, but if you go by the timelines for which both series take place Fairy Tail would be set in the future of Rave Master's universe. How that makes sense if their actually connected I'll never know...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3