• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2012 - Aniplex of America

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GordanHam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Oreimo was never released on blu-ray. It was just a limited edition dvd set.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Wait, the Garden of Sinners DVD set will also be LE? Now I'm starting to get annoyed, I want to watch the show legally before I buy (especially considering Aniplex's prices) but it's turning out to be rather tricky here (since I think the only place it was streaming was on PlayStation Network which I don't have).
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Wait, the Garden of Sinners DVD set will also be LE? Now I'm starting to get annoyed, I want to watch the show legally before I buy (especially considering Aniplex's prices) but it's turning out to be rather tricky here (since I think the only place it was streaming was on PlayStation Network which I don't have).
I think the key word was DVD box set. The previous one was a BD (upscaled) set while this is just DVD.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
BD (upscaled)

Huh, really? That's interesting, I didn't know that - anywhere with more info on it?

edit: Although really, I know it's a given to some extent, so I suppose a better question would be "By how much?".

Last edited by Kicksville on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Schaef Dogg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
(since I think the only place it was streaming was on PlayStation Network which I don't have).

And they have removed it from there as well.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Aniplex of America also had a couple of special announcements to make. They will be releasing Mikunopolis in Los Angeles, the Hatsune Miku concert that took place during last year's Anime Expo.

Wow, that was an unexpected and welcome surprise. Domestic concert releases for our fandom are few and far between; the Final Fantasy DVD/CD Distant Worlds: Coming Home is the last one I can think of. Hope this does well… I'll certainly be getting it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
Shame. I'd have gone for the Mikunopolis concert DVD had it not been sales region blocked. Ah well. Rolling Eyes
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also shown were trailers for The Garden of Sinners movie series, which will be available in a limited edition DVD boxset this fall

Given that the manner in which these films were initially released was excoriated by many interested consumers, one doubts that continuing the practice will win popular favour or discourage certain other means of viewing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
Also shown were trailers for The Garden of Sinners movie series, which will be available in a limited edition DVD boxset this fall

Given that the manner in which these films were initially released was excoriated by many interested consumers, one doubts that continuing the practice will win popular favour or discourage certain other means of viewing.

Many consumers who did not, and continue to refuse to, understand why it was released that way.

But please, continue your victimhood complex.
N.R.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
Explain to me why Aniplex of America needs to release Mikunopolis in Los Angeles? It was released on Blu-ray by Sega, came at a budget price, can be viewed on any U.S. Blu-ray player and has English. So why is Aniplex releasing it again?
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Shame. I'd have gone for the Mikunopolis concert DVD had it not been sales region blocked. Ah well. Rolling Eyes

Why don't you import the Japanese version instead since its already region 2 and there is no sales region block.

N.R. wrote:
Explain to me why Aniplex of America needs to release Mikunopolis in Los Angeles? It was released on Blu-ray by Sega, came at a budget price, can be viewed on any U.S. Blu-ray player and has English. So why is Aniplex releasing it again?

It was not released at a budget price unless you think a MSRP of 7350 yen is budget priced. Also not everyone is comfortable importing and DVDs are still region coded (assuming AoA relaleases it on DVD).

I do have to say this release works well for the teenage vocaloid crowd - much easier for them to buy a domestic release or ask the parents to buy it as a gift.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping GofS will be priced under $100US, I won't be holding my breath but will keep my fingers crossed.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Boggles the mind that people are complaining that things are going to be domestically released. I guess they don't want the domestic crowd to get their grubby hands on it.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Also not everyone is comfortable importing and DVDs are still region coded (assuming AoA relaleases it on DVD).

Mohawk52 is in England, which would a) be an import from US release also and b) is the same DVD region as Japan. (altho a different BD region)
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
superdry wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Also not everyone is comfortable importing and DVDs are still region coded (assuming AoA relaleases it on DVD).

Mohawk52 is in England, which would a) be an import from US release also and b) is the same DVD region as Japan. (altho a different BD region)

You're misquoting me there since that quote was in response to N.R. and not Mohawk52.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2