• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
All About Licensing: Part I

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I never imagined drunken orgies to be a regular part of negotiations, or that 35 mm film was explosive.

I hope we get to the part where Saliva Princess gets on [mature skin]'s new anime block, Toonadoe.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I never imagined drunken orgies to be a regular part of negotiations, or that 35 mm film was explosive.

Early 35 mm print was indeed explosive (well, highly flammable).

In my experience orgies of drinking are an important part of negotiations, while drunken orgies are rare but not unheard of.

When licensees are visiting licensors, or vice-versa, there is copious amounts of drinking almost every night. Obviously not every person in the industry is a raging alcoholic, and some abstain from the practice, but I'm quite serious when I say that drinking most nights is the norm.

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
james039

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope 1Up gets the license agreement worked out, I want my TsubaHime Blu-ray set before Christmas.
discoun7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

I hope we get to the part where Saliva Princess gets on [mature skin]'s new anime block, Toonadoe.

It's all about the money! Control it and you control the world!(I can't help but think that you're making a Speed Grapher reference)
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I never imagined [...] that 35 mm film was explosive.
Not a Tarantino fan I take it?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
If only it were this simple in reality...

But good for a sanitized outline Smile.

One of the things that complicated this process beyond what Justin has talked about is that the Japanese side is rarely so monolithic these days. The production committee members always have their own opinions, so any deal needs to be internally approved with Shueeisha, or Shogakukan, or kondasha, etc...
Then there's timing with international screenings and simulcasts, not to mention competition with domestic blu-ray release schedules due to reverse importation fears.
There's a lot more parties involved in the final decision on the Japanese side, which can muck up deals that are mostly already negotiated.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Early 35 mm print was indeed explosive (well, highly flammable).

In my experience orgies of drinking are an important part of negotiations, while drunken orgies are rare but not unheard of.

*Sigh* Drunken Orgies... Makes me sad I missed the debauched excess of Japan in the 80's boom years. If only I had a time machine (and a few billion dollars)... Although, from what I hear a few billion dollars is more than enough to live like a god amongst mortals in Asia (or anywhere for that matter).

In all seriousness, if anime from that time period (or nostalgic anime reflecting that time) is anything to go by, 80's Japan was awesome!
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
If only it were this simple in reality...

But good for a sanitized outline Smile.

One of the things that complicated this process beyond what Justin has talked about is that the Japanese side is rarely so monolithic these days. The production committee members always have their own opinions, so any deal needs to be internally approved with Shueeisha, or Shogakukan, or kondasha, etc...
Then there's timing with international screenings and simulcasts, not to mention competition with domestic blu-ray release schedules due to reverse importation fears.
There's a lot more parties involved in the final decision on the Japanese side, which can muck up deals that are mostly already negotiated.
I imagine that will be covered in the next two articles. This is mostly just leading to the point where discussion is even beginning.

Great article as usual Justin.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Quite an informative read. It has answered some questions for me.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Pretty interesting article.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
"Saliva Princess", huh?

I immediately thought of Mysterious Girlfriend X.
gwern

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
"Saliva Princess", huh?

I immediately thought of Mysterious Girlfriend X.

Yes, I think it's safe to assume that our intrepid columnist is watching (or at least has heard of) a certain currently airing anime.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
varmint:
Quote:
Not a Tarantino fan I take it?

That idea's actually from a Hitchcock movie.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
When licensees are visiting licensors, or vice-versa, there is copious amounts of drinking almost every night. Obviously not every person in the industry is a raging alcoholic, and some abstain from the practice, but I'm quite serious when I say that drinking most nights is the norm.

Wow..suddenly a lot of ADV's business decisions make way more sense. Laughing
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
tempest wrote:

Wow..suddenly a lot of ADV's business decisions make way more sense. Laughing

This was an interesting article, but dam chicken that joke is LOL. I really hope their not getting people drunk to gain trust.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6