• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike Blu-Ray + DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
great movie, was a huge surprise. they should learn from this movie. its better to do original stories rather then trying to retell the game story, cause lets face it the story is always better done in the game to begin with.
JackCox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
A Great companion piece to the Game, explains all the backstory to the game's plot and after watching this I can see why Funimation only chose to get reprisals from Troy Baker and Sam Riegel as Rita and Raven have only a few lines of dialogue, made more sense to save time and money that way.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:07 am Reply with quote
Id rather have an epilogue movie or series set after the game, but any Vesperia is good so Ill be picking this one up.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote
Question for those who have seen this: I realize this is a prequel, but are there any spoilers in it for the video game? I'm in the middle of playing Tales of Vesperia right now, and though I've found myself with little time to play games lately, I do intend to finish it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:24 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Question for those who have seen this: I realize this is a prequel, but are there any spoilers in it for the video game?

I wouldn't think that there would be, given that it is set before. Maybe in the ending credits, but the theme song is the same as for the game, so you wouldn't miss much by skipping them. Unless the game somehow doesn't mention spoiler[ Niren or that he dies], I'd say you're likely safe. (Feel free to contradict me, people who aren't waiting for the game to arrive!)

I will say that my sister and I immediately went online and ordered the game after we finished watching the movie. Wink
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:36 am Reply with quote
After seeing its trailers, this movie did look kinda interesting. But after Dragon Age, which did nothing for me, I've been wary of game tie-in films. But now I feel like checking Vesperia out again, so thanks for your recommendation!
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
Never played the games (one of my friends loves the Tales of Abyss game) but since this is a prequel film, I'll probably enjoy it.

I actually don't mind slower paced movies or TV series so I'll buy it as soon as I can.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I wouldn't think that there would be, given that it is set before. Maybe in the ending credits, but the theme song is the same as for the game, so you wouldn't miss much by skipping them. Unless the game somehow doesn't mention spoiler[ Niren or that he dies], I'd say you're likely safe. (Feel free to contradict me, people who aren't waiting for the game to arrive!)

spoiler[I just played Vesperia less than a year ago and I don't remember anyone by that name ever being mentioned. Though that's not to say it couldn't have been mentioned offhand at some point and I just completely forgot about it.]
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:

spoiler[I just played Vesperia less than a year ago and I don't remember anyone by that name ever being mentioned. Though that's not to say it couldn't have been mentioned offhand at some point and I just completely forgot about it.]

There's a reason for this. The 360 version is incomplete. The PS3 actually mentions him and even has the twin girls as intractable characters within the story, but alas, Namco never brought the PS3 version over, so we would never know if we didn't go searching for this information....

So I think it's a misleading title to say the movie is based off the 360 game when it has nothing to do with the 360 version...

I mean, you can still understand the basic storyline of Yuri's past by watching the movie before the actual game, but nothing much else.

But good review. I'll be going to Anime Expo today and picking up my second copy. (I love tales). Plus Funi said if this movie sells well, they'll license the Symphonia OVAs.

I'll also be picking up the Japanese PS3 version if I see it. Very Happy
TronBonne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
Whew, just finished watching this, and I have nothing but praise. I feel like it does a good job of showing how spoiler[the loss of his father affects Flynn and his actions/opinions.] Made me appreciate his character a lot more!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
One plot hole that still bothers me to this day after seeing this a while back was that spoiler[Rita knew the term aer krene when speaking with the knights] whereas in the game spoiler[she heard it for the first time from Duke]. Minor oversight?
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
After seeing its trailers, this movie did look kinda interesting. But after Dragon Age, which did nothing for me, I've been wary of game tie-in films. But now I feel like checking Vesperia out again, so thanks for your recommendation!

Don't worry, this is an actual anime based on a Japanese game, which are much better Laughing DA was a Funimation pet project based on a western game.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

Don't worry, this is an actual anime based on a Japanese game, which are much better Laughing

Nothing's worse than the first Tekken anime movie (look at those rankings!). Razz

Last edited by enurtsol on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:

There's a reason for this. The 360 version is incomplete. The PS3 actually mentions him and even has the twin girls as intractable characters within the story, but alas, Namco never brought the PS3 version over, so we would never know if we didn't go searching for this information....

I wouldn't say the Xbox 360 version is incomplete just because someone got a hold of a glue gun a loli pirate and the First Strike script. If anything, the PS3-version is overcomplete and to be honest, I prefer the Xbox 360 version. Not having Flynn as a playable character made a lot of sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1