• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Last Anime Title Released on VHS

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
This is something I've recently started to ponder since I started buying VHS tapes of older anime that were never released on DVD or were too pricey for me to get in the disc format since they were out of print. I know releases on VHS for TV shows and movies started to decrease and ended towards the middle of the 2000s. But does any older anime fan have any recollection of the final anime title ever released on VHS?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have a few of Rightstuf's old Got Anime newsletters marking pages in books, so let's see what we have.

In Rightstuf's April/May 2005 newsletter, here's what got released on VHS:

Dragonball Z Movie 10, Hello Kitty's Animation Theater, Sonic X, Yu Yu Hakusho, and YugiOh. Amazon also lists some VHS volumes of Beyblade and Duel Masters from 2005.

Also, if you scour ANN's encyclopedia, you can find releases by date. The latest VHS release I could find was Hello Kitty: Stump Village, released in October 2006.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Yep, that was the last VHS release I could find, too. There were 21 VHS releases in 2005 (according to the ANN Encylopedia but that Hello Kitty seems to be the only VHS release in all of 2006 and then absolutely nothing at all in every subsequent years.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I remember getting a letter from RightStuf saying that the LAST VHS of YYH was never to come out. Talk about depressing. Seriously? Funimation could've have put the last volume out...Hiei will forever be cut in half.

That was the first time Funimation upset me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1