• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z Kai Blu-Ray Part 8

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Wait, the insert songs are dubbed now? I now they dubbed the first few, but then they stopped. The dub episodes that aired on Nicktoons didn't have dubbed insert songs during the last episodes either.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
Wait, they're stopping after the Cell arc? Why not just do the Buu arc and have it all done Question
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Wishful thinking but maybe the new 2013 DBZ movie will cover the Buu arc and be a sequel to Kai.

It will have new animation but I doubt anyone would complain. Very Happy

Last edited by FrameFreeze100 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
To be fair, the Buu Saga was the worst of the bunch (despite having numerous awesome scenes), and it felt tacked on. At least the Cell Saga had the theme of Gohan assuming his father's mantle; the Buu Saga undid even that.

If Dragon Ball Z Kai was supposed to cut out the fat, then one can make a good case for cutting out entire the Buu Saga since it was fat anyway. Personally I would have liked to have seen the Buu Saga get the Kai treatment but I can live without it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
I think Kai was handled pretty well. However, the bit about the dubbed songs...they seriously did that for the Blu-Ray? Oh boy.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
elevated a step above the Japanese by Sean Schemmel's bright but manly Goku

I admit he's improved drastically, but above Masako Nozawa? He doesn't have the same sincerity.

Quote:
the dub sounds almost exactly like it did all those years ago. Which is a very good thing

Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

Also, there is no "American music" for Kai, period. Why would there be? Funimation doesn't spit in the face of the original vision of the anime they release anymore. It's best to completely forget about the American music for DBZ's dub altogether. It's not the music of the show.

The Japanese music is more operatic and fits the wuxia feel of the show.

Also, I wasn't under the impression that there were any more insert songs left in Kai after the Trunks one, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't dubbed. Unless you're talking about the OP and ED.

[/predictable response]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
I can't listen to anyone who says the Japanese version is better than the English, and turns this or any anime down just for dubs.

Goku bloody sounds like a chick, and don't pull this 'man-child' card because that is a bullsh*t excuse.

I pitty anyone who things dubs are inferior, especially since most of them can't even speak Japanese.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I pitty anyone who things dubs are inferior, especially since most of them can't even speak Japanese.

Oh, English dubs in principle aren't inferior, it's just that in practice most of them are. Dragon Ball Z avoids all of the common mistakes (scripting, awkward timing, etc.) and manages to improve some aspects (mainly the great fit the VAs have to the characters). The best English dubs, I find, tend to be well-done, typically older, action series. Spriggan, Eva, Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop, Cromartie High School (not an action series, but requires the same casting), etc.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Also, there is no "American music" for Kai, period. Why would there be? Funimation doesn't spit in the face of the original vision of the anime they release anymore. It's best to completely forget about the American music for DBZ's dub altogether. It's not the music of the show.

Ironically, the other music takes it's basic style from Akira Ifukube's kaiju soundtracks, you know, with distinct, heavy, character themes and battle music that mixes those themes. Not that this series has anything to do with monsters. Or Japanese movies.

I so prefer the other music...
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
I can't listen to anyone who says the Japanese version is better than the English, and turns this or any anime down just for dubs.

Goku bloody sounds like a chick, and don't pull this 'man-child' card because that is a bullsh*t excuse.

One of the worse things about anime is people who claim the DBZ Japanese dub is superior to the English. I dislike these people. Goku, and several other characters sound like screaming women. That is not cool.

I haven't seen many of the Cell Saga episodes of DBZ Kai, but if Cell's English dub theme was still there the music would have most likely got an A from me. It's unfortunate that the reviewer says that there are still parts that feel like fluff. It really is systematic for action shows like DBZ to drag these things on.

I think if they continued into the Buu Saga more than half of the content could have been cut out. Buu felt like a repeat of the Cell Saga only longer and with more power-ups. The fact that Buu could ALSO regenerate and split his body did not help enjoyment at all.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Well, it is a screaming woman. And I don't mind. For me, it's more imperative of the more subtle performances of Nozawa and others for a cohesive judgement rather than her Kiai screams that seem to imprint a stigmata automatically for a lot of people. I generally dislike both extremes of any anime medium titles for dub/sub bantering and consider that be the worst thing. It eliminates the need of any intelligent/respectful discussion.

I can respect that I'm on the minority of Kai and Carl has done good reviews for the sets even though I often find myself disagreeing with his opinion that the filler being cut out as a good thing. Some of the better moments come from of it. I've always disliked the padding of canon material for the show (which I guess in itself can be considered filler. 2-5 minutes stare downs, internal dialogue, etc.,). Early original material from Toei during the Saiyan arc was pretty amusing to watch, IMO. Kai keeps some of that inevitable padding seeing as how it's cut from footage of an already existing show. So ultimately Kai doesn't really fix the problems I had with the show in the first place, rather it makes it seem somewhat more evident.

spoiler[Speaking of which, I wonder what ANN will think of Nozawa's performance as the title character in the upcoming Asura film. You can hear all the "bad" about her a lot (not necessarily through the actual reviews), but she mostly comes from an era of anime that's largely lost on today's audience due to most of the titles not making it to North American shores. Galaxy Express 999 is the only other aside from Dragon Ball to make it. And that's a pretty niche title.]
taco123

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
elevated a step above the Japanese by Sean Schemmel's bright but manly Goku

I admit he's improved drastically, but above Masako Nozawa? He doesn't have the same sincerity.

I have listened to Japanese dub one time through and the voices (god bless the voice actors who have passed and in no way do I use their performances on DBZ as a reflection of their other good works of capabilities) were absolutely terrible for the role they were given. I'm not sure what the director was thinking picking those people to voice the characters. Of course, I'm not in a position to critique the voices when I can't understand what they are saying, however, I feel I'm on the correct track. One of my Japanese friends (a fluent) despises the Japanese voices and would pick the FUNi voices any day. I will give you that he was born and raised in the U.S., but his criticism is entirely valid and shared by many.
penguintruth wrote:

FUNimation has repeatedly made good choices with DBZ. One of them was the soundtrack. DBZ's original soundtrack in the first few seasons were incredibly repetitive (later seasons were corrected). Bruce Faulconer made over 300 tracks for DBZ to completely succeed the original and he did an awesome job. I am not sure I've ever heard anyone say they preferred the original Japanese soundtrack over FUNi's. I respect your opinion though, I'll never share it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:

But maybe they were going for the Mike Tyson angle by keeping her. Tyson was still popular at the time of DBZ.

And anybody remember all the complaints about the first Ranma English voice sounding like a woman? Laughing
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
taco123 wrote:
One of my Japanese friends (a fluent) despises the Japanese voices and would pick the FUNi voices any day. I will give you that he was born and raised in the U.S., but

I chuckled.

Your friend is American. When people say 'Japanese' they mean nationality, and being raised in on the culture. No matter what race or ethnicity someone is, if he was born and grew up in the states, he'll have an American viewset. Culture is the big factor when it comes to these, not ethnicity. Even so, one 'friend' isn't a valid sample size for a poll.

And I must disagree on the Faulkner music. It was terrible and very reflective of what a dark times the 90s were. Inserting rap/rock into everything to be 'cool' regardless of source material; PokeRap, DigiRap, DBZRap, Monster Rancher Rap.. yeesh, the 90s can be sucked into a black hole for all I care. Dragonball was never meant to be that. Funi basically took Dragonball and made it something it wasn't. But obviously because of nostalgia, people are going to say it's 'better' or 'good'.

Just imagine if they did that with One Piece these days. Give Luffy a voice like Armstrong from FMA's dub rather than his feminine Japanese voice, then replace the lighthearted and colorful music with grunge rock and rap. It'd be about the same thing. Kids growing up would love it, sure, and probably defend it on the internet a decade later, but established One Piece fans would go berserk.
merr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting pretty tired of Carl's constant complaining about dub songs. I thought we got over the dub/sub thing back in the 90's. If you don't like dubbing (whether it's of spoken words or singing), you're more than welcome not to watch. But don't bash the entire practice. It just sounds juvenile.

Maybe Carl just thinks that Funi's efforts at song dubbing this time fell short. Fine. But if that's how he feels, he should say that instead of making one-off comments that suggest song dubbing is never acceptable for some arbitrary reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3