• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cat Planet Cuties Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
If the show gets a B rating in spite of everything, it must be a huge glass.

I like it, not just in spite of Kio but because of him. If he wasn't a normal guy, he wouldn't be attracting gun nuts, freaks and hired killers desperate for "basic human goodness" or something like that in the first place.

Oh and aliens. I can't believe I forgot them.

I haven't done this yet but I have to give Luci Christian a mention for making a zealous overbearing spoiled foreign lonely rich girl not only likeable but also funny. And Clarine Harp as Sara, her one eyed ninja maid.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
I felt this was two relatively decent shows slammed together into a complete mess.

If you separated the "Boy gets catgirl alien harem" and "two girls with guns team up and have sexy adventures together" into two separate shows, I think both would be notably better.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
Why is ever harem lead considered dull when they are either normal or dont jump on ever girls advance? The hell, you want him to act like a hyperactive sugar fiend like Naruto, a whimsical psychopath like Alucard, a kung fu hipster like Spike. He is a normal human guy that all of sudden finds out he there are cat ear aliens, one childhood friend is some gun nut cia wannabe, and one is some crazy esper. If the character were any other way in a harem, the show usually wouldnt work it would have to be flat out hentai.

And if Kio is dull, what the hell is the entire cast of Anohana, the same slub stock characters that you find in every single melodrama and/or visual novel turned anime. Its always the same cheerful girl hiding some tragic past while the very kio like regular guy with his lackadaisical attitude slowly tries to solve the problem over the course of the series.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Why is ever harem lead considered dull when they are either normal or don't jump on ever girls advance?

Because its boring and repetitive.

Kio wasn't terrible or anything, but he also wasn't interesting. He was just there to provide someone for the girls to take off their clothes for. And thats just lame.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
The hell, you want him to act like a hyperactive sugar fiend like Naruto, a whimsical psychopath like Alucard, a kung fu hipster like Spike.

Kung fu hispster. Laughing Naruto wasn't always annoying (emo boy and pink girl beat him on that aspect). But having a character like him for hundreds of episodes is really tough. And yes, more Alucard please.

I don't mind his archetype too much, what really bothers me is how dull he was made. Boring bland lines (I don't even remember his voice, much less anything he said), added to a boring bland looking character. He's the kind of character that's just there to fade away before the viewer's eyes so that the viewer can take his place.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

I don't mind his archetype too much, what really bothers me is how dull he was made. Boring bland lines (I don't even remember his voice, much less anything he said), added to a boring bland looking character. He's the kind of character that's just there to fade away before the viewer's eyes so that the viewer can take his place.

Apparently he sounded like Neshinbara. Yeah, I didn't remember either.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote
I just want to know what's up with that lame English title...
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I just want to know what's up with that lame English title...

To be fair, "Asobi ni Iku Yo!" translates into something utterly insipid.
emohamlet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There are two ways to look at Cat Planet Cuties. You could look at it as rejuvenating a venerable genre with invigorating doses of humor and imagination. Or you could look at it as befouling a lot of lively inventions and undeniable fun with rotting clichés. It's a glass half empty/half full kind of thing.

What glass?!.

It's a parody, plain and simple.

This show works, as long as you accept it as a spoof of the harem genre. Just look at Kio. He's a stock harem male protagonist, only several times concentrated, to the point where it becomes hilarious.

spoiler[I knew this was a spoof from the moment where he takes a sip of beer and passes out!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

The guy takes a gulp of beer and he is down!.]

This is one of the most hilarious moments I have ever seen, no joke. I actually showed this scene to my non-anime friends, and they laughed their asses of, as did I.

And the dogs? Marvelous. That 1950s Hanna Barbera cartoon dog laughter is magnificent.

Awesome spoof, if you're in for the ride.

Last edited by emohamlet on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:50 am; edited 2 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote
Kio downright told spoiler[Eris to screw off when she wanted to mate. That's unforgivable. Kio, when an alien catgirl asks you to have sex with her during heat, you say 'YES!' "] We've had dull leads in our time, but Kio really has nothing going for him, and it's worse in a harem of girls this attractive who don't look like VN cookie-cutter designs.

Other than that, I love all of the incorporated sci-fi elements and references. The Tekkaman Blade one was totally rocking.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:35 am Reply with quote
This series has gotten a pretty welcoming reception from a pretty diverse swath of ANN critics, but I'm still not buying it. This show looks like it has some cool stuff, but it comes off like a show that was, "good in spite of." In this case, the, "in spite of," portion seems to include some of my least favorite things.

Maybe I'll give a free version of try some time. I watched the English version of the first episode a few months ago and was ambivalent.

I wonder what a better title for this would have been. Bombshells from the Sky actually seemed a little better than the Japanese one or what we got.

Somebody should try making a harem show with an openly asexual lead whose sexual identity the gaggle of women around him gradually come to expect and understand. Then again, that would be a harem show with a message, which would be a little weird. They'd probably make the show about the girls fixing him or just turn them all into promiscuous lesbians anyway.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
This series has gotten a pretty welcoming reception from a pretty diverse swath of ANN critics, but I'm still not buying it. This show looks like it has some cool stuff, but it comes off like a show that was, "good in spite of." In this case, the, "in spite of," portion seems to include some of my least favorite things.

Its laaaaaaaaaame.

Its not even bad. Its just...lame. Nothing here is new, other than the cat-girl aliens (which aren't even new, just have some unusual aspects, ie: They go into heat. Something more kemono girls should do, honestly).

Otherwise, you've seen this show before, better and worse.

Its entirely possible to be quite entertained by it, but whatever you imagined when you first heard of it is almost certainly correct.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:41 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Unlike Fencedude I though the show was enjoyable. From what I know of your tastes there SA you will probably enjoy the action but dislike the harem or nudity aspects (which unlike the review I did not feel like they were tacked on then again looking at my tastes this should be no surprise).

I enjoyed the show myself. I found it easy to watch, easy to marathon and just an all around found show. The OVA alone was great to watch. I did not have an issue with the nudity as I did not feel it was tacked or nor was the harem aspects which I felt were fine themselves. I do wish Kio was more aggressive with the girls though I do like Kio as a cast member and it is not because I sorta look like them.

EDIT:

About the English title, I do not think it is that bad of a title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
I got used to the title after hearing it said in the eyecatch every episode by cute girls, oh well.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend the series to those who don't like fanservice, even though I think it has a lot going for it outside that area because the production values are really good and the action scenes can be fairly good too on occasion. It's also legitimately funny without being fanservice at several points (the example of Kio passing out mentioned above definitely being one).

I don't think Kio is as bad as some leads in some ways, but in others he's among the worst. He's "useless" but does actually does help later on. He's completely oblivious in the worst way of harem leads, and he rejects advances that anyone in real life would probably take advantage of. That's pretty much to be expected though, since without that a harem wouldn't really stay a harem or would move from fanservice to hentai.

As for the English dub, I think they did a good job with the "space man" song. I'm always happy to have Funimation do these shows as I know they will always at least give an attempt at dubbing the in-show songs and such. I appreciate it when it's done well and they usually do a good job.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
Aout the retitle: It's part of the eye catch, as each character says the title. So you either have your actors speak differing qualities of bad Japanese or you come up with something to match the lip flaps.

Quote:

Its not even bad. Its just...lame. Nothing here is new, other than the cat-girl aliens (which aren't even new, just have some unusual aspects, ie: They go into heat. Something more kemono girls should do, honestly).

The Cult of the Kitty's Paw isn't new? I can't be the only one thinking "Yeah, I would expect something like this actually appearing in Japan, even without cat eared aliens."

Minibots armed with antimaterial toy hammers. Cute, even after destroying their enemy.

Actual matter converting technology that goes beyond "Earl Grey, Hot." Like using it for something useful.

Holodeck tech {copyright?} actually used the way we all thought it would be used and then used in a completely surprising way...

The most viable reason why true human androids just aren't that feasible {Also from Red Dwarf, not that it matters}.

Actual evil aliens who are a bit more on the ball than most invading aliens. OK, I didn't care for the line "Muttrey, throw me a bone!" but there was effective use of technology, tactics and timing prior to that.

Alll La-ammme, huh? Too bad for you but I had fun with it. Maybe it matters how much of a sci-fi geek you are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2