• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Creator Tomino's G-Reko Entering Full-Fledged Production

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The American Average

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see more of this. I hope we won't have to wait 5 years to actually see it, also what about the Gundam Origin? Has that been rolled back for this?

Last edited by The American Average on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I had always assumed that Yoshiyuki Tomino was de facto retired from active anime production. Show you what I know.

At least it doesn't have anything to do with Byston Well.

This will probably be at least interesting. It might well not be a success, fiscally or creatively, but it should be interesting. I can imagine it being, in a sense, a bit old fashioned, which could end up strangely refreshing, although it carries pitfalls.

Drawing all of the storyboards does seem... unreasonably ambitious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
What I wanna know is if Sunrise will be handling it or not
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I've seen six or seven series directed by Tomino (mostly Gundam) and I can't see why anyone cares about him. He's not very good. Gundam is mostly of historical value for bucking the robot fantasy trend and going into real sci-fi but for merits it was surpassed almost immediately.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see my favorite anime director back at work. The question is, does he have it anymore? Based on those Zeta Gundam movies a few years back, I'm a little worried. But I'll give this a shot.

Fronzel wrote:
I've seen six or seven series directed by Tomino (mostly Gundam) and I can't see why anyone cares about him. He's not very good. Gundam is mostly of historical value for bucking the robot fantasy trend and going into real sci-fi but for merits it was surpassed almost immediately.

Tomino's an excellent director. Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam are a lot better than most modern mecha shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZEROthefirst

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
What I want to know is if this is still related to the Gundam universe? I remember the article last year that stated this was set over 1000 years into the UC timeline, but Tomino's words there kind of made it a bit confusing on how he's going about this.
Either way I can't wait for this and I hope another Gundam related story of Tomino's get's animated as well, like Gaia Gear.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's good to see my favorite anime director back at work. The question is, does he have it anymore? Based on those Zeta Gundam movies a few years back, I'm a little worried. But I'll give this a shot.

We are talking about the same guy who went from making Garzey's Wing and Brain Powered to making Turn A Gundam and Overman King Gainer and then back to making The Wings of Rean and those Zeta Gundam movies. He's had a history of being pretty unpredictable when it comes to the quality of his work for quite some time so whether this is gong to be any good or not is anyone's guess.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Really, really great news - I happened to be thinking about this the other night, and how sad it would be if it just kept getting delayed while Tomino gets older and older.

I've actually been re-watching V Gundam lately - for something he wasn't very satisfied with, it sure is damn good. The cast and the great care put into their character makes it hard to believe the production was as strained as it allegedly was.

And Xabungle and L-Gaim are finished/almost finished being fansubbed! Good times.
The American Average wrote:
Can't wait to see more of this. I hope we won't have to wait 5 years to actually see it, also what about the Gundam Origin? Has that been rolled back for this?

Naw, probably a separate thing. It seems like they announced that whole thing very early, considering last time it was mentioned they still weren't sure whether it'd be a TV show or movies or what.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
I'm almost wondering if we are gonna get a Kill'em All or a Happy Tomino
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
The American Average

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
LuckyAstei wrote:
I'm almost wondering if we are gonna get a Kill'em All or a Happy Tomino

i'd like a bit of both
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
How about the characters being happy, well-adjusted people who are then horribly maimed and killed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quote
I wonder what his thoughts on the alternate universes are.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
Yoshiyuki Tomino project that has nothing to do with Byston Well saga!Yes,this is going to be good.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:15 am Reply with quote
If we are having the level of detailed art as seen in this image, this is gonna look really good.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

Yeah, Tomino's work has been influential but it being GOOD is up for debate. I actually found Turn A Gundam to be so boring that I couldn't even get halfway through it. Then again I find Gundam on a whole to be a tepid, pretentious franchise with characters that are either dull or unlikable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2