• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's with the phrase "punk" in anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilynn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
Nowhere else do I see the phrase "punk" used as often as in Anime as a normal expression of discontent with some person, regardless of who would be the real "punk" in relation to the other and if it's the punk saying to the "nice kid"... Why is that, do you think? Is this a common expression in Japan or a fashion in Anime or do translators just like to resort to that expression regularly? Or do you punks not notice?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote
Probably a cultural thing related to the Japanese language. English as a language, you see, has a lot more obscenities, nasty insults, and other disrespectable adjectives or phrases to call someone which get used with more variety in domestic media. This being the case when you'd translate a Japanese insult (accurately) you're limited to less words or you choose something in the English language that would be similarly insulting but not quite accurate. We're just meaner in our criticism basically. Twisted Evil
Clarste

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
This would be a translation issue rather than an anime issue. Unless we're talking about the musical genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1