• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Most Impractical Fighting Regalia

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
That poll has me torn between Shana and Taiga...

With the list, I have to agree with Erza. I wonder if that's supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek about how RPGs are similar? (Like how in Dragon Quest IX, my character has higher defence when only wearing panties as opposed to trousers).
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Mahou shoujo, represent!

Kinomoto Sakura... she doesn't get a flashy instant transformation into her costume, she has to call "time out" and climb into her stalker-with-a-crush friend's van and change clothes by hand... or just leave home in costume to begin with.

Vita... Her front-line teammates get sword and armor and super werewolf powers. She gets...goth-loli frills and a german-speaking combat croquet set?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but she makes up for it by being a total badass and never giving up no matter what she has been impaled with
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Did the manga ever mention a smell with Sasori? I always assumed with Sasori's skills and interest in chemicals that he took more of a taxidermist route with his puppets versus them being just rotting corpses.

But either way, as the Naruto universe has showed us time and time again, no matter what your problem, somewhere out there there is a jutsu for that.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I was always of the opinion that the Nereids were wearing swimsuits, because of all the water, I guess? Never could quite figure out why they were thong swimsuits, that seemed a little impractical, but whatever.

Daphne had one of those weird anime things going on where people wear ridiculous costumes and nobody questions it or thinks it is out of the ordinary. There's a bunch of girls running about with their asscheeks flapping in the breeze, and nobody has any reaction at all. I swear the Anime News Nina did a parody of this concept. I'd go and find it, but the archives only list dates with no titles or explanation, so I won't bother (seriously, ANN, what the hell).

Oh, and speaking of Impractical Fighting Outfits that no one seems to question at all--Strike Witches. Seriouslys, who would be okay with going into combat in just their panties? What if you hit a bug while flying at highspeed? Shouldn't you have some kind of protection?

//I'd be okay with Strike Witches if the men ran around in their underthings as well. Equal opportunity, goddamnit! Anything else is blatantly sexist. Well, at least the story is good...wait, no, that sucked too.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, which one do I dislike the least? 2 first ones were just abominable. Don't know Idolmaster and Maria. Louise is rather dumb, Nagi ineffective, and Shana, well, repetitive. That leaves me with Taiga.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Nagi is probably the only tsundere character of Rie Kugimiya I actually like and also the first one I heard her as so I went with her. My favorite Rie Kugimiya role is actually Gintama's Kagura.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, no mention of Yoko from TTGL. She wanders around in a desert in such a skimpy outfit, if the show even appreciated physics she'd be (sun-)burnt to a crisp and have her skin peeled off by the sand. Also snipers lie down on their stomachs to shoot, so she'd have sand in the most unfortunate places . . .
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if Kekko Kamen being 95% naked is practical or impractical. On the one hand, she has no armor to protect her or soften blows. Then again, she's light as a feather and has nothing that can potentially be snagged. Being naked and as stacked as she is can also be a distraction. I'm not sure where I should lean on that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm not sure if Kekko Kamen being 95% naked is practical or impractical. On the one hand, she has no armor to protect her or soften blows. Then again, she's light as a feather and has nothing that can potentially be snagged. Being naked and as stacked as she is can also be a distraction. I'm not sure where I should lean on that one.

I dunno. Jumping around a lot while also having large mammories without any kind of support can't be a really comfortable combination...
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Well the Rie poll wasn;t too hard for me. Nagi and what I've heard of her Shana are her only tsundere roles I've heard that I actually liked as opposed to secretly hoping the character would die horribly, and between the two I've heard more of Nagi.

Erza winning the outfit thing isn't too surprising I guess. Her armor is usually sensible but there are some...questionable ones in there and even the most powerful ones don't do much sometimes...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue always felt like the designs would have suited a hentai anime better, and I do believe the character designs were drawn up by a dude who draws that stuff, so it figures. The look of the characters in their facial features, body types, and especially their clothing are very much in line with what I'd expect out of something hardcore.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
It was tough to choose which of her tsunderes I like the most. It really came down to choosing between Nagi, Taiga, and Toko. I did like Toko a lot, but she didn't get a lot of screen time compared to the others, so it more came down to Nagi or Taiga. I gave my vote to Taiga, but it really could have gone either way.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear lord, Daphne in the Brilliant Blue...

...those aren't thongs those girls are wearing, they're oversized Maxi-Pads!
MopZ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but think that Ezra gets her magicked armors from some kind of enchanted armor fashion boutique or through some mail order catalog. They sure are striking to look at.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3