• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Solanin's Asano to Launch Umibe no Onna no Ko Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Very exciting to have more manga by Asano, I loved Solanin very much. I wonder if this new series will be a bit longer (I think it would be nice to see her (?) try something with a few more volumes).
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
(I think it would be nice to see her (?) try something with a few more volumes).

*ahem* Him.

This is great news indeed. Solanin is one of my all-time favorites, and I'm very much looking forward to reading What a wonderful world! when both volumes are released in October.

Hopefully more Inio Asano works will be picked up in the future so I don't have to resort to scanlation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
revilenigma

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
I really hope Asanos other works get published
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
This is great news indeed. Solanin is one of my all-time favorites, and I'm very much looking forward to reading What a wonderful world! when both volumes are released in October.

Hopefully more Inio Asano works will be picked up in the future so I don't have to resort to scanlation.

Shocked I had no idea more of Asano's works were licensed! Slash to the fail on my part, there. Embarassed I wholeheartedly agree with you. It could only be a positive to see more of his works brought over. And indeed I too would love to enjoy a longer series.
revilenigma

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
hopefully one day we'll see Nijigahara Holograph get published. It's one of my all time favorites.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
revilenigma wrote:
hopefully one day we'll see Nijigahara Holograph get published. It's one of my all time favorites.

To be frank, I've started feeling disappointed in Asano after reading Nijigahara Holograph. His works have given me a feeling of 為賦新詞強說愁 i.e. "in order to create new works, pretending to be stressed and suffering." The entire story of Nijigahara Holograph was intentionally filled, in an unnatural and forceful way, with negative emotions, and almost nothing else. Furthermore, it was so predictable that even after reading the first 8 pages, I had guessed correctly that spoiler[the old man, the young man, and the boy are all the same person, together in an anachronistic manner.] Rolling Eyes

By the way, if you can read Chinese ci in that link, you'd know Asano's behavior is very typical among young artists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
revilenigma

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
it was so predictable that even after reading the first 8 pages, I had guessed correctly that spoiler[the old man, the young man, and the boy are all the same person, together in an anachronistic manner.] Rolling Eyes

That isn't really a spoiler, the story is about how the lives of different people living in the same town and how they have changed over the years. We all know the kid is the main character as a child (they look exactly alike and have the same name)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
revilenigma wrote:
the story is about how the lives of different people living in the same town and how they have changed over the years.

In a way strictly abiding the second law of thermodynamics, that is. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Very exciting to have more manga by Asano, I loved Solanin very much. I wonder if this new series will be a bit longer (I think it would be nice to see her (?) try something with a few more volumes).

I don't see this running long, given the type of story and magazine (Manga Erotics F runs one or two volume worths of material from an artist at a time for series, like with Hiroaki Samura, Mohiro Kitoh, Jiro Matsumoto, et cetera). Besides, Asano already has an on-going manga, Goodnight Punpun.

dormcat wrote:
The entire story of Nijigahara Holograph was intentionally filled, in an unnatural and forceful way, with negative emotions, and almost nothing else.

More than your favorite moe titles? Razz

But seriously, I don't see how it's too great of a focus on negative emotions, or why that should be a negative if that's the case. It's akin to those that criticize The Wire as being "too negative" when it's clearly working within a portrait of people who obviously are in societal positions where a larger system works against them as much as they themselves do; it's a similar situation with Nijigahara Holograph. These consequences come about after specific incidents of family abuse, and burying those and other childhood traumas until they boil up later in life; it's akin to Sansho the Bailiff which is overwhelmingly in its depiction of one aspect of human nature, yet also shows the underappreciated triumphs, as well.

I also find it a bit odd to criticize one plot point, considering how dense and sprawling the entire book is.

Asano can be too introspective in his works -- prone to a metaphorical entropy, as you note -- but Solanin and Nijigahara Holograph succeed because they're more honest expressions of the worries of young adults, as well as tempering with the usual formula in comics, instead of philosophical posturing (which he occasionally falls down to in What a Wonderful World and Goodnight Punpun).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
More than your favorite moe titles? Razz

Huh? Which one you're talking about?

HellKorn wrote:
Solanin and Nijigahara Holograph succeed because they're more honest expressions of the worries of young adults

I agree with you 100%, and I can even bring up another example of one of the most popular anime series in history. Wink While Asano does a even better job describing worries and fears of the youth than Anno/GAINAX did (and way, way more realistic), I honestly don't have any personal experience similar to those stories, thus instead of being resonated like many have, I rather feel like a cold-blooded bystander. Rolling Eyes
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Huh? Which one you're talking about?

I was more or less being facetious, though I do find it an interesting critique as, say, certain Kyoto Animation productions disrupt the comedy for tragedy, or how an otherwise great title like Saikano really wants to let readers where to cry. It's neither here nor there.

Quote:
I agree with you 100%, and I can even bring up another example of one of the most popular anime series in history. Wink

True enough on all accounts; however, to be fair to both Asano and Anno, one was mentally ill during a story while the other was not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1