• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-05-29]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Brian,do you seriously get spam like that? I wouldn't know what to do there.It's probably a phishing site. Laughing

P.S. Stick to four panel comics,man.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
YES~! Eureka SeveN is awesome Very Happy Concur! Concur!

Except that I think Liz and I are the same person ... to my fiance I am a "huge dork" (for liking anime ... but not in a bad way Smile ... and he's got his own "dorky hobbies" IMO Wink hehe
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
just to be clear, "Poop Butt" is the name of my ipod.

i am twelve years old
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Thank you for mentioning Motherlover. The best thing since D**k in a box.

Anyway...my thoughts are:
Gegege no Kitarō looks cool. I may check that out.

I wonder if they (the animators) were serious. That was funny.

You learn something new every week: I did not know you were a One Piece fan.

My first major business decision would be to pick up Sailor Moon Stars. If we had to take all of Sailor Moon we would. It would be sold in subbed and dubbed boxsets.

That would make me happy. And I'm sure many others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
I've yet to see the most recent adaptation of Gegege no Kitarou... but I really liked what I saw of Hakaba Kitarou, which is based off the same series. The art style was the same as was used in Mononoke and the Goblin Cat arc of Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales. I don't know whether Mr. Hanson would consider it to be another "ruined" version of an old manga because of that, but it made it suitably creepy for the subject matter.

And yeah, no one show is going to "save anime." The best thing that could happen for it is for streaming to really get going, for fansubbers to be responsible in their releases, and for fans to continue to support creators by purchasing anime. Which may never happen, because people are dicks.
kadian1364

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
The mere thought of Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson wreaking havoc with the Death Note mythos a la Night at the Museum will doubtless brighten many dull days in the foreseeable future. Very Happy
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
My first business decision, beyond a boring list of shows I'd license, would be to start some kind of domestic anime CD distribution label, for those of us who are still interested in having physical copies of the music we listen to.

I know it's been tried before with very limited success and would probably fail hard in the iPod age, but I didn't say that I think I'd make a particularly prudent CEO, this is just fantasy-land so "do things that make money and avoid doing things that will hemorrhage money" doesn't apply.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Thanks for this ever entertaining column! Smile

What's wrong with the name "Bugmaster"? I think it's a faithful and fitting translation of Mushishi (蟲師), and sounds about as cool as you're gonna get it. That is, unless you'd prefer something like "The Insect Meister".

Another thing that's fishy about TCD Infoline (besides the ridiculously wide scope of their work which bears no samples) is the fact that their site title reads "Untitled Document" and lacks any kind of icon. Not what one would expect from a company that does "Web Design, Flash wed Design, web design, web development, search engine optimization, web promotion, multimedia and more". And only now did I notice they have "web design" twice.

I agree that Miyazaki's stuff is in a category of its own, though I can't say it's a category particularly appealing to me.
nerei

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one mentioned Hoshi no Koe as the first anime they'll show their partners!
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Brian,do you seriously get spam like that?

From my own personal experiences, I can say that I believe Brian gets that kind of spam.

About thirteen(!) years ago, I founded an internet mailing list for an 80's cartoon and doll line (which is still going, and I still moderate, BTW). In the early years of the list's life, I was getting a number of e-mails asking me to put the show back on the air. It got so bad, I finally had to put a disclaimer in big, bold letters on the list's website, explaining that I was simply a fan and had no power to bring the show back onto television.

I also write about anime for another website (won't say where, though, because I don't want to use this forum as a place to promote a potential "competitor"), and have gotten the occasional e-mail from someone either trying to get me to write an article about a "false friend" (a production that has an anime look, but is obviously produced in America), or from someone trying to tell me they have a great idea for an anime or a manga and asking how I can help them get a start in the business.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
Brian, your cartoon disturbed me and I need to go and lie down all curled up for a while. Congratulations!

Matt actually mentioned the first two anime series I watched and purchased on DVD, His and Her Circumstances and Martian Successor Nadesico.

Last edited by UtenaAnthy on Fri May 29, 2009 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
loka

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:31 am Reply with quote
Matt wrote:
Geeks, on the other hand, may well be accustomed to marathons of Firefly, Dr. Who, or Farscape. So it's not a huge stretch to introduce TV series right off the bat. Cowboy Bebop is often a good decision. They may also be interested in stuff like Escaflowne, Crest of the Stars, or Fullmetal Alchemist, depending on their particular area...

what? Geeks are far more likely to enjoy Serial Experiments Lain, Denno Coil, or Noein. fantasy? shonen like FMA? no. although party-centric fantasy like Druaga, Lodoss War, and .hack// may interest them.
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Another thing that's fishy about TCD Infoline (besides the ridiculously wide scope of their work which bears no samples) is the fact that their site title reads "Untitled Document" and lacks any kind of icon. Not what one would expect from a company that does "Web Design, Flash wed Design, web design, web development, search engine optimization, web promotion, multimedia and more". And only now did I notice they have "web design" twice.

also from the contact page, the company is in India...

from the banner, all i see is white people....not a single Indian anywhere...

also they do "Aniamted Music video"...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
Archangel42 wrote:
Quote:
Before they know it, many people find themselves disgusted by light but secretly rooting him on. They learn to hate him, cheer for him, pity him and love him for all his genius, arrogance and twisted ambitions.

I did sympathize with Light at first. But when it started becoming less about bringing justice to the world and more about securing his place in the world as God and using and killing off innocent people around him for his own means, I was disgusted with him through the rest of the story's entirety and never once rooted for him. It amazes me that some fans say that he's not evil at all and even cheer for him, when he's no more right in his ways of 'making the world a better place' than Hitler or Stalin. I get the impression fans are mixed about him simply because he's the main protagonist the story revolves around.

But that's not to say I don't love this series, and the movies, I really do.

Miyazaki movies are obvious gateways for potential new watchers, but I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Haibane Renmei, a series I consider a true work of art. I showed it to my mom some time back, and while she especially didn't understand the ending so much, she was surprised with how good it was.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
Haha that's awesome that someone actually somewhat believed that Ben Stiller would play Light. I hear that they're also going to bring Marlon Brando back from the dead to play Light's Dad. Just goes to show you that anime fans take things way, way, too seriously.

Anyway, I was interested because one of the Answer Fans mentioned Saya no Uta. For that Answer Fan, if he sees it - is that game PG regarding sex? I want to start playing VNs, but I want to be sure that I'm importing games that are 100% legal here in Canada - meaning no hentai scenes with little girls. I tried looking it up, and it didn't mention that it was an eroge, but it didn't say it wasn't either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4