• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tezuka's Jungle Emperor to Return in Summer TV Special

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope it'll be a good adaptation, I feel really strongly for this story and characters, it's one of my favourites among Tezuka's works and not only them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
80th anniversary.....wow.I'm cool with an Jungle Emperor special.It is the 80th anniversary after all.I would rather see a revival of Dororo or Black Jack though.Heh,no pun intended,Jungle Emperor is really tame.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I would rather see a revival of Dororo or Black Jack though.

Black Jack just had a TV series that finished in 2006.

anime#6412
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
vapwaazu wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I would rather see a revival of Dororo or Black Jack though.

Black Jack just had a TV series that finished in 2006.

anime#6412

Thank you good sir.I've glanced at it before but it didn't click until you pointed it out.Damn,how did I let 21 slip?

Domo!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
This should be interesting, eighty years is quite a long period. I wonder how the project will turn out?
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
After reading the latest news I bet this will be a masterpiece! ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Hang on, didn't Taniguchi wash his hand of anime after Geass, or was that just directing specifically?
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I would love LOVE to see what an Amano-designed Tezuka character would look like. Anime smile
Afax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I doubt this will wash the stain of Geass off Taniguchi's hands, but I hope he can redeem his name to me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
They're really rolling the dice by putting Taniguchi in charge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
JohnathanEnder wrote:
I would love LOVE to see what an Amano-designed Tezuka character would look like. Anime smile
ditto. I'm a fan of both Osamu Tezuka (as a storywriter AND an artist) and Yoshitaka Amano. this seems like it's going to be quite a treat.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
First, we don't even know if Taniguchi is directing or just assuming some other creative or supporting role in the production. And even if he were, that's hardly going to determine everything about how the final product ends up looking like.

Second, regardless of what other people might say, I think he's a pretty good director -albeit not a great one- but it doesn't mean Taniguchi can make miracles if the script or the budget, for example, aren't that great. A work is only as good as the sum of its parts.

Third, unless something else has come up, I don't believe Taniguchi has publicly said he was going to "retire" from anime after Geass. It's either an extrapolation from a certain old interview or an assumption. But in reality, he's still been working in the industry so this shouldn't be a surprise.

penguintruth wrote:
They're really rolling the dice by putting Taniguchi in charge.

Afax wrote:
I doubt this will wash the stain of Geass off Taniguchi's hands, but I hope he can redeem his name to me.

Considering that Taniguchi's directing was IMHO just fine in Geass, as opposed to the actual script and other external circumstances related to the production most people interested should already know about if they cared enough to do so...I don't think he needs to "wash" any stains. Not anymore than, say, anyone else who has ever worked in any number of series, not all of them having equal quality.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
Taniguchi is easily the most over rated Director in anime right now, while part of the problem with R2 was the scripts which where full of unintentional hilarious dialogue, as Director its his job to have Okouchi keep the good ideas while discarding the bad ideas.

For example, the fact that the only competent good guy is Lelouch himself creates a problem with the ending, when it becomes clear that the Black Knights didn't really accomplish anything and Lelouch did everything for them.

I mean with the American Revolution the rebels became leaders of the country, the same with the Boshin Revolution as Choshu dominated Japanese politics for more than 40 years. Instead only one of the Black Knights gets a job as leader, and that person is completely incompetent.

Having seen Scryed his work isn't that good their either, its possible that Planetes is a complete work of genius making me put Taniguchi in a new light but considering the work I have seen I doubt it.

Now looking back the problem may well be that Taniguchi is just horrible at working with large casts such as Scryed, and Code Geass, as both works suffers from "What;s the point of 3/4th of the cast" and with something less ambitious it will work out better.

I will just say that if Taniguchi is anything greater than cofee boy I am not expecting much.

but I can't wait for the new Leo to look like a flat chested woman..
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Taniguchi is easily the most over rated Director in anime right now, while part of the problem with R2 was the scripts which where full of unintentional hilarious dialogue, as Director its his job to have Okouchi keep the good ideas while discarding the bad ideas.

The script isn't just about the dialogue but also includes the events and how to pace them. Directors can influence that, to a certain extent, but the main responsibility lies with the writers and you shouldn't overlook other issues with the production as a whole.

I would argue he's quickly becoming the most overbashed, at least online, considering how often people seem to run for the hills whenever his name is mentioned just because they didn't like Code Geass R2.

Not because he's great...I've already said he isn't. Only because people on the internet want to dump each and every problem or disappointment in Geass on his shoulders alone while not even doing cursory research about the circumstances surrounding the production or giving him a minuscule particle of credit for anything he's ever done doesn't mean I'm going to jump on that bandwagon. Especially because I have seen quite a few of his shows, not just one or two.

I mean, if I were to follow the example others are setting, I should bash Mamoru Oshii because of how crappy Dallos and a couple of his live action movies are and not recognize he's also worked in superior projects. Or I should go bash Noboru Ishiguro because of how Tytania seems to crawl along and has repetitive events. Or perhaps Ryosuke Takahashi deserves some slaps because Gasaraki wasn't all that good...oh wait, Taniguchi was assisant director there so, of course, he must be the one to blame. Great logic.

Sorry, this isn't a discussion topic meant to debate Geass, much less bringing in spoilers, so I will not fall into that trap. If you want to talk about them, take it elsewhere on the forums. Don't know about anyone else, but at least I am not going to respond to any of that here.

Quote:
Having seen Scryed his work isn't that good their either, its possible that Planetes is a complete work of genius making me put Taniguchi in a new light but considering the work I have seen I doubt it.

From where I sit, Scryed was meant to be just another shounen fighting show, nothing more than that, and it accomplished this purpose well enough to make me watch the whole thing. I don't usually expect genius from the genre that brought us something like Dragon Ball Z or Naruto.

I actually think, however, that Infinite Ryvius and, say, even Gun x Sword are better shows. Not coincidentially, both of those have better scripts than either Scryed or Geass R2, so it's not just a matter of Planetes.

Quote:
Now looking back the problem may well be that Taniguchi is just horrible at working with large casts such as Scryed, and Code Geass, as both works suffers from "What;s the point of 3/4th of the cast" and with something less ambitious it will work out better.

Considering that Planetes, Infinite Ryvius and Gun x Sword had fairly large casts, I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun on that one like you're doing. Once again, I think you're unilaterally blaming the director for things that have more to do with the writer or other aspects of the production.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
Taniguchi directed Planetes too? Well, that anime is a masterpiece.

I can't wait for this special more then ever, knowing this (and I liked both CG seasons, too Razz ).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2