• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost Hunt (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote

Ghost Hunt

Genres: drama, horror, mystery, psychological, supernatural
Themes: espers, exorcism, ghosts, occult, poltergeist, psychics, spirits

Plot Summary: Telling ghost stories is a favorite past time of Mai Taniyama and her friends—that is, until she meets 17-year-old Kazuya Shibuya, the man sent by Shibuya Psychic Research Center to investigate paranormal activity at a supposedly haunted school. When Mai gets caught in a dangerous situation, she is rescued by Kazuya's assistant. Saving her lands the assistant incapacitated, and Kazuya demands that Mai become his assistant, instead...
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

Yet another series I started today.

To keep it shorter than my Busou Renkin opener, I just want to say this looks like a promising series.

It sort of reminds me of a Ghostbusters type series with a bunch of spirit/ghost experts getting together and solving mysteries, but this first episode is all I've got to go from.

Needless to say, I enjoyed it a lot for its balance of comedy, drama, spookiness, and very subtle psychological tactics.

So many of the characters seem like they really know what they're doing, only to find that the comedy kind of throws you off from ever taking this show too serious. Production wise, I really like the overall presentation.

Art and animation are crisp and clean. The artwork didn't feel too grainy, and there were a lot of colors between the characters and backgrounds. Animation is about as consistent as a lot of the other recent J.C. Staff productions I've been seeing, so that's a good sign as well.

Music and sound effects are mixed between comedy and suspenseful elements. When I first heard the intro, it immediately made me think of a Tim Burton movie with Danny Elfman at the stand for conducting. One thing I've always loved about that duo is the unorthadox, yet brilliantly awkward atmospheres they tend to create, which I certainly felt for this series.

Plot/characters seemed a little slow to develop. But with only 3 episodes listed so far and no designated length just yet, I can see this as a really fun and entertaining, yet subtley episodic series in the same nature as Mushishi, but a lot more modernized and with comedy. I guess the Ghostbuster reference would still stand, as comparing this to Mushishi might drive some of you the wrong way Anime smallmouth.

Voice acting consists of a relatively new, yet experienced cast. Most notably, I'm interested in Yuuki Tai (D'Eon from Le Chevalier D'Eon) and Kaori Nazuka (Subaru and Shino from .hack). Tai does a great job playing Kazuya with a cold sense of off-beat comedy and a mysterious aura behind his profession as a ghost hunter. Nazuka, while excellent in her role as Subaru, serves a nice change of pace as the more upbeat and energetic Mai, who has a good sense of humor and knack for turning misinterpretation into even more comedy.

I like the chemistry they've introduced in so many characters for a first episode, and I'm looking forward to more. I just hope it's longer than 12/13 episodes and not left open for an additional season on a later date.

EDIT: Added the Encyc. link.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed May 16, 2012 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you about Ghost Hunt's first episode, it was pretty well done. I defnitely look forward to more episodes but I'm also curious about the episode count. That gets me thinking, too: is the manga only 9 volumes?
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I just saw it an hour ago and I have to say it was pretty good. I like the Australian dude...he seems like he's hiding something so I'm a bit curious in what he can do. I'm glad it has comedy since it will probably get really violent or get really scary later on, something like what Chrono Crusade did, though it was violent from the start. Wink
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I just finally sat down and checked this one out; I must say, I was really impressed. This looks to be one of the best series for the Fall season for sure. Death Note, Black Lagoon are probably the only two better than this one, and it's about on the same level as Chevalier (though there are a bunch more cliches in Ghost Hunt, they're handled very well in the first episode). I'm looking forward to the second episode and the whole "who's telling the truth and who's full of crap?" idea. It makes me think of Clue, and a little mystery is always a good thing Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ragg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I got around to watching it, and it seemed alright. I like the concept, characters, and basically everything, just I'm not so sure about the anime as a whole. The 1st episode doesn't put down any information on how they'll deal with the ghosts, just how they'll detect them, so I'm guessing it'll be like Ghostbusters just without the guns, less action, but more character/story development. Also, just for my taste, I think they put down too many characters in the first episode.

Introducing Mai, Naru, Mai's school friends, Kuroda, the monk, and the Miko in my opinion was enough, but then there was the second girl, Hara, who could sense ghosts, and John Brown. It's not hard to keep track of the characters, but I guess just annoying in a way.

I'd probably put a real opinion on it after another episode or two.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Great! I'm glad I at least got you all to check it out Very Happy.

I really liked the first episode, but what's bugging me is I don't know if this is going to be more of a comedy, a mystery, or a mixture of both that could go either way.

Mystery titles seem a little less prominent these days, so I'm quite curious to see this work out (no, I've yet to see HiguNakuni, or wherever the heck the red is). I'd like to think the concept of ghosts and the supernatural have always been an intriguing aspect to people, but most anime depictions I've experienced lately all have shinigami and the like.

The parapsychological theme in GH feels a little more Western, hence my Ghostbusters reference (and of course without the proton packs and stuff). Either way, though, be it more comedy, mystery, or that mixture I mentioned, I'm sure I'll enjoy this series as the rest of it comes out.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this the first time, but after looking through the Encyc. entry, I just remembered that the music is done by Toshio Masuda, who I respect very, very greatly for his work on the Mushishi score.

If he should carry even the slightest hint of those melodies or instrument quality, we'll be in for quite a treat should the series decide to take a few serious turns for the actual ghost hunting.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
So episode 2 finally came out, and I have to say the story is progressing close to what I imagined:

spoiler[ I was confident that at least a few of those summoned exorcists would turn out to be either a fake or just not good enough at their jobs, but to have all of them mess up? And the one who looks the least foolish is the brash and loud girl that no one really trusts or likes in the first place? Perhaps that building really is being haunted by some poltergeist.

The fun part here is trying to connect the dots and making some kind of sense out of the clues we see. I was actually kind of expecting a more predictable or noticeable screen element/visual cue to make things more clean cut. But thankfully, the audience is left just as confused as Naru upon his feeling of failure in trying to figure out just what the cause of these distrubances are.]

It's a nice little mystery thus far and I'm curious to see how things turn out for this case and if they go beyond the scope of just the school.

Not that staying strictly around campus would be bad, so long as they establish something that keeps you entertained.
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I also felt that this is turning out to be a nice little mystery which is a good thing for me since I love my mysteries. I love the fact that the exorcists all had huge egos, well the Australian didn't which makes me think he has something up his sleeve sence he didn't seem to surprised about what was happening he just kinda went with the flow. I also like the whole rivalry between the Shinto pristess and the monk they act like a married couple. I feel bad for Naru though since he has alot of confidence in his technological approach and to have spoiler[it underminded really brought his confidence level down. ] and at the end of the episode it seems the one with the spoiler[really powerful spirtual power is about to be revealed.] I can't wait the next episode I just love anime like this. Very Happy
Seyl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing the second episode to see what approach they took explaining what's happening as compared to how they set it up in the manga (which is being released by Del Rey). From what you've described they're doing a good job, which is great. Now to finish at work....
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Having watched the first three episodes I'm still not clear on exactly what happened when spoiler[the shoe lockers fell on the main girl (mai?) at the end of the second epiosde]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4: spoiler[wow that was kinda creepy...chucky anyone. Laughing But yeah I really like this series it reminds me of ghost stories alot. I have been wondering but why do they freak out with ghosts but are calm even though they have psychics that can move things around. Confused ]
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Episode 4: spoiler[wow that was kinda creepy...chucky anyone. Laughing But yeah I really like this series it reminds me of ghost stories alot. I have been wondering but why do they freak out with ghosts but are calm even though they have psychics that can move things around. Confused ]

Dur.... spoiler[you can see psychics... you can't see ghosts. Obviously whether or not something can be seen is the sole determining factor on how scary or dangerous it is Rolling Eyes ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
omar235 wrote:

Dur.... spoiler[you can see psychics... you can't see ghosts. Obviously whether or not something can be seen is the sole determining factor on how scary or dangerous it is Rolling Eyes ]

Maybe it's just me but if someone made a table float by thinking it , made other objects move, lock me in rooms, or try to crush me with a book case I would be scared sh*tless...after I got over how cool it was for them to be able to do that of course. Very Happy I mean there equally freaky to me but ghosts are usally more territorial and just hang around a certain area while psychics could go around and kill people like in Elfen Lied except psychics powers probably won't be seen as long arms streching out.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
[/sarcasm]
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
[/sarcasm]

Oh, I see...sorry about that it's so hard to tell on the internet. Embarassed

Edit: wrong emoticon.

Last edited by omar235 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4