• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Adds Zero's Familiar Fantasy Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
osakaedo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this title get transferred. This license was in limbo for a while after DrMaster shut down a while ago.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
osakaedo wrote:
Glad to see this title get transferred. This license was in limbo for a while after DrMaster shut down a while ago.

Me as well, hell along with railgun, oreimo and other titles seven seas is becoming quite the little scrapper in the manga biz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
glitchhunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I'd get the LN if it were licensed, but not the manga.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Me as well, hell along with railgun, oreimo and other titles seven seas is becoming quite the little scrapper in the manga biz

Oreimo is Dark Horse. Seven Seas tried to cash in by putting out an even smuttier incest series with an even more ridiculously long title.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how good the manga is compared to the original light novels, but let's hope that seven seas follows through with the manga unlike what it did with the light novels.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Shame that light novel didn't come out, but at least, the manga version is coming out. Smile
Kohii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Seven Seas, now my second favorite publisher (after Yen Press)
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
So here comes Seven Seas licensing the (inferior) manga versions of all of those light novels they carelessly picked up and then decided to not release.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
This is already on my wish list. Can't wait for it to come out.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Why not just release the suprior light novels that you already payed for? it makes no sense to buy the manga rights and release them when you already have payed for the rights to the source material.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Why not just release the suprior light novels that you already payed for? it makes no sense to buy the manga rights and release them when you already have payed for the rights to the source material.

I some how forgot that someone actually licensed the light novel.

Since Seven Seas looks to be be able to release all the volumes, I might pick this up. Hopefully then they'll also be able to get the Chevalier manga.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Bookstores are selective about the manga they carry at is is. They definitely don't want light novels (especially ones that are 10+ or even 20+ novels long), so that rules out print.

Ebooks-only editions are not practical to do given the high production costs (x3 or more times what manga cost)...and there's the simple fact that fans have already translated their favorite series completely for free and released PDFs, epubs, and apps for ereaders of them. Without paper editions, there is nothing to gain and so, so much to lose.

We know there are readers out there that would like more light novels, but it's just not in the cards right now.

Last edited by adam_omega on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:

Bookstores are selective about the manga they carry at is is. They definitely don't want light novels (especially ones that are 10+ or even 20+ novels long), so that rules out print.

Interesting that bookstores don't want light novels...never knew that (what's wrong putting them in the young adult section with other novels that cater to that crowd?). That really sucks and until ebooks become a easier/cheaper way to distribute, I guess light novels really won't really penetrate the US market.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
adam_omega wrote:

Interesting that bookstores don't want light novels...never knew that (what's wrong putting them in the young adult section with other novels that cater to that crowd?). That really sucks and until ebooks become a easier/cheaper way to distribute, I guess light novels really won't really penetrate the US market.

Yen Press is the only one who actually got them to really work, sure FMP sold decently and twelve kingdoms. but the only ones that sell really well are spice and wolf (placed in fantasy section with american slipcovers) and haruhi really. I can understand not bookstores not wanting to sell them, but what about Onibus editions for the light novels (they are short) like viz did for madrock scramble,.... well I doubt you could go ala spice and wolf since that has mainstream apeal and FoZ is a male teen romance, which is fairly unheard of in the US mainstream.
What about a TLC and re-edit of the novels though and posting them on amazon for kindle to get some money of them. I'm sure the fans would say yes. it's happend quite a few times with VN and other properties.

P.S. thanks for answering adam. are the liscenses really that much cheaper for manga then the LN though, since isn't there a up frount liscensing cost for the novels
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
adam_omega wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me that the anime-ish looking covers would have been misplaced in the manga section, despite its contents. In fact, I recall people on forums mentioning that this was happening to Spice and Wolf when it was first released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2