• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: A Certain Magical Index & Scientific Railgun Crossover Game's 1st Promo Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverSleep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
How is this a "crossover" if they are at the same universe, same planet, at the same timeline and the plots were already somewhat intertwined from the beginning?

Anyways, looking forward to this, Railgun visual novel game for PSP was pretty funny, I don't see why this one won't be as good since the ASCII Media Works are doing it again.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
NeverSleep wrote:
How is this a "crossover" if they are at the same universe, same planet, at the same timeline and the plots were already intertwined from the beginning?

My thoughts exactly.

Unlike you however I can pass on this, since If I wanted a side story like plot and whatnot, I'd want to get it from a movie or OVA, not a game where all we do is talk. If someone can explain to me the appeal of these games incase I'm missing something please tell be because the whole concept of talking your way through a game without something (action scenes, platforming, SOMETHING) just seems a tad boring to me.
NeverSleep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Unlike you however I can pass on this, since If I wanted a side story like plot and whatnot, I'd want to get it from a movie or OVA, not a game where all we do is talk. If someone can explain to me the appeal of these games incase I'm missing something please tell be because the whole concept of talking your way through a game without something (action scenes, platforming, SOMETHING) just seems a tad boring to me.

The Railgun game had some choice making leading to joke/bad endings, the order you make the decisions (you can make some of them in different orders) decided some of these. It also had 6 sequences filled with QTE, nothing really hard, but just a bit of gameplay.

But overall, think of it as reading a book, but voiced and with images to look at, you just have to get involved with the plot as you would get with a book.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
@thatguy The type of game is often termed a Visual Novel. It is basically in the same idea of entertainment as movies, except it often has more depth to the characters. So overall it's just a light novel with Anime visuals, voiced and slightly animated. And when a plot is written by Kazuma... well, it tends to be significant, even if it's a 'side story'.

As a big fan of VN's and Index... this is already bought.

Oh and again on the 'side story' idea, it seems that this game somehow ties in with the movie, soooo.... not exactly side plot is it?
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
NeverSleep wrote:
How is this a "crossover" if they are at the same universe, same planet, at the same timeline and the plots were already somewhat intertwined from the beginning?

Namco Bandai Games has been billing it as a crossover game, the same way that Marvel bills its annual in-universe crossover events or the Whedonverse has crossover events from time to time.

GiriOni wrote:

Oh and again on the 'side story' idea, it seems that this game somehow ties in with the movie, soooo.... not exactly side plot is it?

That's right, it serves as a prologue to the film.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
GiriOni wrote:

That's right, it serves as a prologue to the film.

Well in that case I might consider it........ after I learn japanese....which'll probably take two years or something....
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I have to laugh at the first comment. It took the words right out of my mouth. But I'm wondering why it took them so long to get around this when the franchise was hot?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1