• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - I'm Sorry I Wasn't Here Last Week Edition

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
I know the first volume or two of the manga were published in English by Tokyopop in the MixxZine days, but the pre-2000 anime TV series that has never been licensed for the North American market that I want the most is probably Miracle Girls, which had a nice balance between light shoujo romance drama, Kimagure Orange Road-esque ESPer kid antics, comedy, and the occasional WTF? episode (i.e. the dinosaur ghost things). And the first opening song is pure Phil Spector-style "Wall of Sound".

I can think of pre-2000 shows I still want that used to be available in Region 1 but aren't anymore that I wish would be re-issued, especially Kimagure Orange Road as well as the first two seasons of Sailor Moon (which I have, but wish I could get much higher quality DVD's of), but I can't think of much else off-hand that I wish could get licensed for the first time other than Sailor Stars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tu101uk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
Yay! My question about light novels actually got published!!! XD

Actually, my query was less about "getting something to sell" and more about "getting something published" in the first place. I look around and get pretty daunted by the requirements that traditional publishers have for submitting material.

Plus, I just like the format of serialised, dialogue-heavy, illustrated work - something that most of the light novels I've encountered thus far have in common.

Still, at least I know where the market stands at the moment, which was the main reason for writing in. I agree though that no-one should have to change their works for anybody else. Don't worry, my creativity shan't be stifled by such things.

Cheers for answering that, Brian. ^_^

O-O~
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote
Tu101uk wrote:
Plus, I just like the format of serialised, dialogue-heavy, illustrated work - something that most of the light novels I've encountered thus far have in common.

I believe the rest of the world calls those "young adult" books. And they publish hundreds every year. Your library probably had a huge section of them before anyone even knew what anime was in this country.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, you've given me yet another opportunity to yell at length about the value of creativity! Specifically - who cares about how your written work will "sell"?! Get out there and write it! Write it NOW! Worry about the rest later. Or, better yet, don't worry about it at all. Being concerned about the salability of their work is the number one way that creative people of all stripes end up sabotaging themselves. Ultimately, your work will speak for itself. Not its sales numbers. Not its page count. Not anything. So write that sucker already.

I don't entirely agree in this case. I wouldn't worry too much about how your work will sell in terms of content but it's probably worth giving some thought to the format. If there literally is nobody interested in publishing US light novels, it's probably not a wise medium to choose. No matter how good your work is you simply may find yourself without a publisher.

Tu101uk wrote:
Actually, my query was less about "getting something to sell" and more about "getting something published" in the first place. I look around and get pretty daunted by the requirements that traditional publishers have for submitting material.

Hmm...I don't mean to assume but it sounds a tad like you're main interest in the light novel medium is just that you think it will be easier. Maybe I'm mistaken but if I'm not, I'd really encourage you to rethink this. You're never going to get anywhere especially in a creative field if you just look for the medium that's the least work to produce. If you're not willing to put in the effort to meet the requirements of book publishers then I suspect you're not really going to put in the effort to create any kind of decent novel. It seems like a daunting task because that's what it is and should be.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quote
Pre-2000 title?
Don't even need to ask for specifics: Hands down it would be the insanely long Legend of the Galactic Heroes franchise or Gundam ZZ. Both series were works of geniuses and I'm surprised that neither has been brought over even after so long. Despite being old, they're masterpieces and classics definitely to be treasured.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quote
I'm going to have to resist the urge to write "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" a couple hundred times in response to this weeks question. But the logistics of all make it understandable as to why it'll never make a showing outside of Japan.

I'll instead go with Turn A Gundam. The last Gundam series directed by the creator, Yoshiyuki Tomino, music by Yoko Kanno and mecha design by Syd Mead... but it's on the short list of Gundam shows Bandai refuses to localize into English. Of course, it would probably go just as unnoticed here as it did in Japan, but a guy can dream.

And if you want to look at shows that are no longer available, I'd go with either Utena or Now and Then, Here and There. They even have remasters, and look better than before.
liko-2000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:11 am Reply with quote
I don't post much on the forums, but I wanted to say thanks for answering that two-part question. I'm into animation from all countries and I like learning about the techniques and processes that go into making a production. Plus, you made a reference to the Thief and the Cobbler, one of my favorite animated films. Very Happy

Now if I could only find the edition of Answerman with the recommended reading on animation. I think a professional in the field sent in a letter with the title of the books.

*goes to search the archives*[/i]
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote
Which pre-2000 anime am I upset isn't available outside Japan?

Probably a tie between the Kaze to Ki no Uta OVA and the Ai no Kusabi OVAs.

Both surpass fandom's expectations of BL anime and both would do the genre good.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:00 am Reply with quote
LOL. While I've definitely been watching anime since before 2000 and have watched plenty of pre-2000 anime, I don't think that I've ever watched any pre-2000 anime which wasn't dubbed. I doubt that I could even name any which haven't been released in the US without specifically searching for them. It's only been in the past couple of years that I've watched anything that wasn't officially released in the US.

So, this could be an interesting question to see answered, but I'm definitely not going to have anything any answer to give on it, and I'm not likely to recognize a single series on the list (though I suppose that I could be surprised).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:46 am Reply with quote
50K - 100k? I saw on one of Greg Ayres' fansub panels that the average anime would cost somewhere between 150k and 200k. Here's the video (he talks about it at around 4:40). I know the video is 2 years old, but has the production cost really been cut that much?

Kalessin, I have that same problem. I've seen lots of 90's and 80's anime, but they were all via DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tu101uk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I believe the rest of the world calls those "young adult" books. And they publish hundreds every year. Your library probably had a huge section of them before anyone even knew what anime was in this country.

Oh, yeah, I know that. XD I am a bit of a literary nut meself. I remember reading loads of young adult novels when I was younger (not so much Western ones nowadays, I must say). My tastes have changed since, but I still have fond memories of going to school or to the library with a couple of these in my bag.

Quote:
Hmm...I don't mean to assume but it sounds a tad like you're main interest in the light novel medium is just that you think it will be easier. Maybe I'm mistaken but if I'm not, I'd really encourage you to rethink this. You're never going to get anywhere especially in a creative field if you just look for the medium that's the least work to produce. If you're not willing to put in the effort to meet the requirements of book publishers then I suspect you're not really going to put in the effort to create any kind of decent novel. It seems like a daunting task because that's what it is and should be.

Yeah, I can imagine it sounds just like that... ^_^;;;

In no way do I think it'll be easier - I know most if not all writers go through hell and high water to get things published. I reckon it's more of a matter of style - my story ideas and writing style probably fits better with the light/young adult novel format.

I just meant that being an unpublished aspiring writer is tough and will continue to be so should I continue to pursue this career, that's all.

Of course, I would love to attempt writing longer novels - they will be challenging, but probably more satisfying when complete. ^_^

Just gotta work at it methinks. ^_^

O-O~
ryoga79

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:54 am Reply with quote
Slam Dunk if discount the atrocious release that got cancelled, otherwise Macross 7. Not the best series ever but a fun series with some great music.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:

And if you want to look at shows that are no longer available, I'd go with either Utena or Now and Then, Here and There. They even have remasters, and look better than before.

Um, NTHT was just re-released by ADV a month or so ago as a thinkpak. http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/ambcwqXrZ2IXX07fGR/browse/item/83536/4/0/0
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quote
Yay, my answer was posted, which I was shocked to see posted since it was pretty much on the fly for that one. I am upset that Victory Gundam has not been released outside of Japan. I know it's been broadcast outside of Japan would I would be happy to see it get a R1 release although I know it's likely that will never happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
labantnet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
Hands Down, Saint Seiya. Only half of the series was dubbed and the only subs avalable are HK. If this was avalable in English, Subbed or dubbed I would totaly buy it the day it comes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5