• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pendants with Shonen Jump Images Recalled by Importer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Why the hell is lead getting in the toys? Is this some Communist plot to ruin the U.S.?
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Maybe China is just a lead rich country.

and chances are the younger people who bought these items won't be on this site reading this article and won't know that there necklaces could contains lead. >A>;;

Is this/was this on regular news channels?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Why the hell is lead getting in the toys? Is this some Communist plot to ruin the U.S.?

Yet another very typical fear-mongering Sinophobic response (IIRC this is not your first time). With the exception of GunPla, which of your anime collectibles (PVC figures, metal necklaces and pins, etc.) is not made in China?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote

Given that it's unbridled capitalism that has resulted in much of manufacturing being moved over to China, I think not. If the free market says we want cheap crap, quality be damned, what's a little lead, melamine, or who knows what else? Consumers will simply choose to buy non-toxic products if they don't want them. I mean they couldn't be so stupid as to think prices could go down, down, down without cutting a few corners, could they?
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
Wow, I haven't bought any of those, but I have a collection of anime and video game themed pendants hung ornamentally on my Wardrobe...
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
I guess I should be glad I never decided to suck on my death note pendant! lol
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Yet another very typical fear-mongering Sinophobic response (IIRC this is not your first time). With the exception of GunPla, which of your anime collectibles (PVC figures, metal necklaces and pins, etc.) is not made in China?

It's not a matter of Sinophobia, it's a matter of Communism. Any country can be Communist, as history has proven. (Cuba, Soviet-era Russia, Laos, Vietnam, and North Korea, anyone?)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

It's not a matter of Sinophobia, it's a matter of Communism. Any country can be Communist, as history has proven. (Cuba, Soviet-era Russia, Laos, Vietnam, and North Korea, anyone?)

A fear of Communism is even less understandable, with it being largely irrelevant for nearly two decades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
Any country can be Communist, as history has proven.

I fail to see the relevance.

-t
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Because obviously, a toy company was trying to destroy the U.S. by killing a few hundred anime fans.

This got me wondering: Are there actually a lot of products out there that contain lead? If they're bound to get caught, then wouldn't they suffer more losses than gains by making lead products and then recalling them?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:25 am Reply with quote
On an important note, other toys which were recalled which you don't want kids to have.
TC-man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote
If I am right the lead is added to make those toys look shiny.

Also, it's not that the Chinese want to add lead in toys, they just follow orders, and yes, from American companies (think MATTEL etc.).

Here's a video about this matter:
http://www.webcastr.com/videos/news/mattel-apologizes-to-china.html
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
This must be a serious problem for kids and otaku who prefer to wear their pendants on their insides.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Lead in stuff again! You know the last time this happened the Chinese government killed the people running factories. (I saw a report on it on fox news) It's just said when you have people killed over kids toys like this. Sad

Think about it, theres more people in China who are going to be killed over this F*ck up then people even hurt by lead lined toys.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:

Given that it's unbridled capitalism that has resulted in much of manufacturing being moved over to China, I think not. If the free market says we want cheap crap, quality be damned, what's a little lead, melamine, or who knows what else? Consumers will simply choose to buy non-toxic products if they don't want them. I mean they couldn't be so stupid as to think prices could go down, down, down without cutting a few corners, could they?

not sure why you comment on a subject you seem to know very little about both intellectually and on a personal level. nothing is perfect, there will always be scams and defective products under any society. and because the government has taken on the role of trying to warn people of product safety always after-the-fact, they actually crowd out the private sector in this particular area who can do a much better job of warning customers because of the profit motive. i have engineering degree from a top university with government grant which i wouldn't have taken if i knew how government interference raises tuition, and i also do a lot of stock trading, i've read extensively on politics and economics i understand well the merits of the free market. let's just not get into depth on something you know very little about, unless you're sincerely interested in which case you should have actually spent time to learn instead of spewing nonsense before doing so.

but why do you think newly researched cancer drugs are extremely expensive but they become cheaper overtime? why do you think lasik eye surgery cost has been reduced in half since it was first invented? it's the same motive seeking behavior as the few examples of defective products from china that is behind the innovation of drugs, less the companies that would make a profit from warning people about bad products if the government haven't crowded them out of business with their own sub-par brand of service. you seem to have this discontinued, dreamy image of reality while in fact, the world has very specific ways in how it operates. unfortunately unrealistic whines won't make things better magically ie. you wanting incompetent people in government to tax me to do jobs beyond their capability.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2