×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece #56 Manga Gets Record 2.85-Million Print Run




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sokpupet



Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 133
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised. One Piece has been on a high note since Luffy knocked Charlos the %$&# out. And the chapters in 56 are some of the best where the fecal matter hits the rotating metal object.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Brack



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 281
Location: UK
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah, you only have to look at Google Trends results to see that since this current arc started, One Piece sky rocketed it's popularity in Japan from where it was at the start of the year. And when you were the most popular series to begin with, that's saying something.

What I've heard from someone over there is that word of mouth about what's going on at present is attracting back readers who may have lapsed over the past 10 years, along with the hype for the 10th movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Daimao Raki



Joined: 03 Jul 2008
Posts: 593
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Good news for Dragonball's successor. I want OP's popularity to rise in the US as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 1571
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
Yeah, you only have to look at Google Trends results to see that since this current arc started, One Piece sky rocketed it's popularity in Japan from where it was at the start of the year. And when you were the most popular series to begin with, that's saying something.

What I've heard from someone over there is that word of mouth about what's going on at present is attracting back readers who may have lapsed over the past 10 years, along with the hype for the 10th movie.


The most recent arc almost feels like a culmination of much of the past 10 years of stories, bringing back various fan favorite characters (some of which I never thought we'd see again) tying up various loose ends, and generally kicking huge amounts of butt.

Really, One Piece has been firing on all cylinders ever since the shock chapter wherespoiler[ the entire crew was separated. Considering what a huge theme the crew working together as a family has been, that's probably the one thing fans never thought Oda would do (aside from killing them all off) and it really seems to have given the series a shot in the arm.]

It's probably no coincidence that this was the year it finally surpassed Dragon Ball in sales, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bleachigo66



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 246
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote
Good for One Piece!


spoiler[I wish it was BLEACH though]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eivion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 569
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quote
Had no idea One Piece shot up in popularity even more this year. Cool news. Also nice to to have an idea of where we are length wise in the story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yorozuya



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 332
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:23 am Reply with quote
Another 13 years of OP... That means I'll still be reading this into my late 20s...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
vashthekaizoku



Joined: 30 May 2009
Posts: 261
Location: The House of Rat
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
My whole purpose for going to my local con this year is to buy the One Piece catch-up manga at the $5 manga table!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sena_h_dei



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 32
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:
Another 13 years of OP... That means I'll still be reading this into my late 20s...


That's still young. I'll be in my early 40's!

And still loving every minute, I'm sure. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Taker128



Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Posts: 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
The new that the story is about half way and that Oda planned op to originally a 5-year manga and the ending is already set were not really news.

All those reaveal in last year's interviews and SBS.

But op is now firing in all cylinder and undoubtly hitting hit second popularity high [since volume 24-27 when it beat first-print record THREE TIMES.] when it is already at top for over 10 years now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Egan Loo



Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 1329
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Taker128 wrote:
The new that the story is about half way and that Oda planned op to originally a 5-year manga and the ending is already set were not really news.

All those reaveal in last year's interviews and SBS.


That's why those pieces of information were posted as "confirmed" information in an update to a daily brief, and not in a standalone news article.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
britannicamoore



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Posts: 2618
Location: Out.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Brack wrote:
Yeah, you only have to look at Google Trends results to see that since this current arc started, One Piece sky rocketed it's popularity in Japan from where it was at the start of the year. And when you were the most popular series to begin with, that's saying something.

What I've heard from someone over there is that word of mouth about what's going on at present is attracting back readers who may have lapsed over the past 10 years, along with the hype for the 10th movie.


The most recent arc almost feels like a culmination of much of the past 10 years of stories, bringing back various fan favorite characters (some of which I never thought we'd see again) tying up various loose ends, and generally kicking huge amounts of butt.

Really, One Piece has been firing on all cylinders ever since the shock chapter wherespoiler[ the entire crew was separated. Considering what a huge theme the crew working together as a family has been, that's probably the one thing fans never thought Oda would do (aside from killing them all off) and it really seems to have given the series a shot in the arm.]


Yeah I have to say that was a big shock for me too. I never expected it and after that (since I normally watch OP subbed) I had to find the manga ASAP. I haven't read much sense spoiler[Ace was on the chopping block and Luffy and everyone rushed in to save him--there were some big shockers in that for me too.]

I hope for many more years of One Piece to come! Oda is one of the few shonen manga artists that seems most original to me with his ideas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group