• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 2.0 DVD Has Retakes in the Works for Spring

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Here we go! Rolling Eyes

So what are the odds that there will more than one release of this film?
Manwards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
They can release as many versions as they want, as long as they release something. I've been waiting to see this film since the day I was born!

As for versions, it'll most likely just be two again. The first film had Evangelion 1.01 and Evangelion 1.11, the latter being two minutes longer and the only one available on Blu-ray. It IS double-dipping, but it's not the extreme milking that people make it out to be. If you're waiting on the Blu-ray release, there's only one version. I have FUNimation's DVD release of 1.01, which I'm fine with. I don't have a Blu-ray player, and I can live without the odd moment or two of missing dialogue.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Probably only one version this time, assuming they don't screw up the video again (as happened with 1.01).
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Probably only one version this time, assuming they don't screw up the video again (as happened with 1.01).

Well, there was no mention of a BD release, so it might be assumed that there will be some form of a "2.11". Then they'll make a broadcast version Razz Was the broadcast version of 1.0 ever given a different name anyway?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:
I have FUNimation's DVD release of 1.01, which I'm fine with. I don't have a Blu-ray player, and I can live without the odd moment or two of missing dialogue.

You do know that 1.11 will also be avaliable on DVD right?
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, Spring? Well, at least this means I can stop obsessively checking YesAsia to see if there's a release date for 2.0 now. I can resume the obsessive checking in...hmm, let's say, end of February. And this will further strengthen me to avoid the cam version of the movie. If I'm watching new Eva, I'm going to watch it right, dammit.
Manwards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Manwards wrote:
I have FUNimation's DVD release of 1.01, which I'm fine with. I don't have a Blu-ray player, and I can live without the odd moment or two of missing dialogue.

Yeah. Like I said, "I can live without the odd moment or two of missing dialogue". I knew the 1.11 DVD was in the works when I bought 1.01, and I won't be buying it.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Eva fans are like Star Wars fans. They gripe and stuff but end up blowing their wad on every single Eva thing Gainax throws out at you. They'll pay $25.00 for a DVD, $12.00 for a movie ticket, and then another $25.00 for the ultra improved edition. That's basically $62.00 for one movie.

$25.00 (or more if they're getting some limited edition) just to get 5 extra minutes of slightly retouched footage... Confused

Sure, there are some who try to be smart and wait, but even those who wait eventually gets their asses handed to them when the SUPER ULTRA DELUXE EVA 2.754645453635364645353 edition is released after their ultra improved edition.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Nuts to this; I'm waiting for a tetralogy boxset.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Eva fans are like Star Wars fans. They gripe and stuff but end up blowing their wad on every single Eva thing Gainax throws out at you. They'll pay $25.00 for a DVD, $12.00 for a movie ticket, and then another $25.00 for the ultra improved edition. That's basically $62.00 for one movie.

$25.00 (or more if they're getting some limited edition) just to get 5 extra minutes of slightly retouched footage... Confused

Sure, there are some who try to be smart and wait, but even those who wait eventually gets their asses handed to them when the SUPER ULTRA DELUXE EVA 2.754645453635364645353 edition is released after their ultra improved edition.

Yep. When ADV released the Directors Cut DVDs, I eagerly bought both of them, only to discover that the second DVD had only one episode that had a Directors Cut, which contained all of two minutes of new footage. They could have easily have just packaged the four episodes that actually had new footage on one DVD, but oh no, they know that Eva fans will pay, even if it's for two minutes of footage, so why not gouge them?
Of course, the Director's Cut DVDs becamse useless later on, because those episodes appeared on the Platinum DVDs.
Ah well. I've plunked a lot of money down on renting the tapes, buying the DVDs, and now collecting the figures. It's been my favourite show for about eleven years now, so I'm more than happy to shell out money for more Eva. Although I am holding out for the Blu-ray release of 1.11, as buying 1.01 on DVD really makes no sense.

Last edited by Quark on Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Manwards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

It happens with Hollywood films, too. Watchmen is the best recent example, with its multiple versions of different runtimes. It all depends on how you look at it. "Five minutes of slightly retouched footage" isn't needed to enjoy a film, and you don't need to buy it if you're happy with what you've got.

Fronzel wrote:
Nuts to this; I'm waiting for a tetralogy boxset.

That'll probably be released in 2015, at the earliest. It'd be awesome if it was, since it'd tie into the original setting of the series. (Although Rebuild wisely doesn't specify a specific year, to stop it getting dated when the year eventually passes.)
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Manwards wrote:

Here?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Manwards wrote:

Here?

Yep!
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
The blu-ray version will most likely be the definitive and best version. I'll be waiting for that just like I'm waiting for 1.0 to release on blu-ray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1