• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Annie Awards Winners Announced

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad I know I'm kinda biased, but if anyone picks music from "Duck Dodgers" to win over the music in Wolf's Rain has got to have an *exteremly* bad taste in music. Even my 95 year old great-grandmother thinks the music from Wolf's Rain is a lot better then American made soundtracks these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bell02

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
^ I highly agree on the music comment! Who else was running against it because that defies all logic?
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Bell02 wrote:
^ I highly agree on the music comment! Who else was running against it because that defies all logic?

Music in an Animated Television Production

Steve D'Angelo & Terry Tompkins - "Peep"
Jeff Danna & Steve Sullivan - "Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends"
Yoko Kanno - "Wolf's Rain"
Robert J. Kral - "Duck Dodgers"

Here's the whole list of winners:

http://annieawards.com/32ndannieawardwinners.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I too find it hard to believe that Yoko Kanno didn't win. Well, let's hope that her work will receive more recognition in the future.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I admit I'm biased for Yoko Kanno's work as well since I haven't heard Mr. Kral's score for Duck Dodgers, but I'm sure there are more than enough fans of Ms. Kanno than there are for Mr. Kral as it is, so it's not like she needs an award to or something to be acknowledged.

In any case, congratulations to Mr. Kral. You have to remember these nominees also worked their butts off through the night for something they wanted to do, much like Ms. Kanno probably did for Wolf's Rain.

Oh well, better luck next time, I suppose.
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
MAN!!!!!!!!!!! I thank all those who worked hard to produce G.I.T.S., but its a crime that no animes have yet to win any af the awrds, I think that the judges should get off their high horse and award animes what they have earned so long ago. If u agree then let your voices be heard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tondog38

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I'm not surprised that anime didn't win at all this year. I mean, The Incredibles was far better than any anime I saw last year.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Mexicanime86 wrote:
MAN!!!!!!!!!!! I thank all those who worked hard to produce G.I.T.S., but its a crime that no animes have yet to win any af the awrds, I think that the judges should get off their high horse and award animes what they have earned so long ago. If u agree then let your voices be heard.

You need to learn some things about animation before you can truely have an educated opinion in this matter. The reason anime doesn't win an award of this sort is because, since these awards are soley for animated works, the judges are playing much closer attention to the quality of the animation than regular award committes (ie Golden Globes, etc.) would. American animated film is, simply put, MUCH higher quality than anime, not including Studio Ghibli. American animation is funded better, thus why they can acheive higher quality. While anime character designs generally look gorgeous, when they 'move' at 2-4 frames per second, the beauty falls short.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, that puts things into context, I guess. So it's more of the technical achievement than the overall effect?
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:
Well, that puts things into context, I guess. So it's more of the technical achievement than the overall effect?

In a sense, yes and no. Animation works to make the viewer think that what they're seeing is really occuring, to draw the viewer in. Better artistic/tehnical achievement does a better job of drawing the viewer in, thus making the overall effect much better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rukusho

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:

Better artistic/tehnical achievement does a better job of drawing the viewer in, thus making the overall effect much better.

Yeah, that is very true. Its just intresting because the way GitS2 does catch attention. When I first saw it I was like, "Is it just me, or is this very different?" But I guess it just didn't fit the taste of the judges this year (still a I'm in shock that this didn't catch the judges attention as a totaly different change in animation). Oh well, maybe we'll get an anime next year.

Oh yea, your comment about animation earlier...seems some what true. What you said about anime being lower quality becasue it doesnt have a big enough budget is true in some cases (look at the first two Digimon OVAs).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Robert Kraw has his own legion of worshipful fans; anyway, if they hired him to follow in the footsteps of the great Carl Stallings, he must be doing something right. Yoko Kanno is an exceptional talent, but Team Otaku worships her beyond her (considerable) merits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Sure, I'm a fan of Kanno, but usually I'll admit when I'm being biased on something. I've seen a couple Duck Dodgers episodes, and I'm sorry, the music is no where near the level of Kanno's work on Wolf's Rain. Kanno's works are special because they're a degree of quality way higher than what you're used to hearing in an animation. You watch an episode that she's done the music to, and you know you're listening to something special that heck, could be the best thing about the whole show.

I also don't believe for a minute that Kanno didn't "need" the recognition/award. I think it's about time she's been recognised by someone other than die hard anime fans here in the US. I haven't kept up with past Annie awards, but has she ever won one? If she has, I'll happily shut up.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't familiar with Mr. Kral's music, so I downloaded a few relevant MP3s, just to check it out. If I played you those MP3s and told you they were by Yoko Kanno, you would believe me, because they're easily as pretty and lush at that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
cyberphin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
Awards like the oscars and the annies are really losing any sort of meaning outside of the niche of the communities that award them. The Annies seem to be limited to Animation community in america and so really they exclude alot of outside animation because they would pale in comparison.
Think of it this way, when was the last time you bought a movie because it won an oscar let alone an annie. I don't even go see stuff that's nominated anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3