• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai Entertainment Responds to ANNCast Comments

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's a positive response. I sincerely couldn't read more into what that man said after he started talking about "anime fading away", as it's clearly not.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Well, that's a positive response. I sincerely couldn't read more into what that man said after he started talking about "anime fading away", as it's clearly not.

I know, more than likely, we will have another anime boom. The market tends to go up and down over the years, which is how everything goes.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was the impression that I got. Bandai isn't closing, but if things don't work out, they would be sub-only. Anime isn't exactly fading away, but it isn't getting bigger either. But I didn't really think Bandai was going to close, at least not anytime soon. Now if only I knew what was going on with Media Blasters, I hear they're on ice.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
As long as the hentai (and pseudo hentai) is selling for Media Blasters, they'll be fine. That's what the podcast before the most recent one was saying anyway Wink
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
lol, you know you have impact, when the president of Bandai entertainment goes out of his way to respond to something said on your podcast.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
There is always the matter of what counts as good, since it's always relative. I do hope that what they say is true and that they aren't doing so bad, but it also is unusual for businesses to admit that they might not continue. Larger companies operate as going concerns, where they assume that they will keep going, and most won't admit that they might not be a going concern until they near the end. Lenders and customers tend to be wary of companies that say they are in trouble.

However, I think Bandai is probably right when they say that they're anime will continue, but not necessarily the dubs.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
So, basically Bandai is looking to reduce the negative impact of Eric Sherman's statements, and I'm guessing that the truth is either one of two things:

1. What Eric Sherman said is spot on, and they're about to be toast if things don't improve, but they don't want to say that because it could lead people to behave in a manner which will guarantee that they're toast.

2. What he said is more or less true, but not quite as bad. They're not going out of business if Haruhi and the unnamed show do poorly, but they won't be in a good enough position to risk dubs for a while - and if things don't improve, never. So, they won't die, but dubs from them will.

Number 2 is probably closer to the truth, but there's no way of knowing. Bandai has shown an obvious reluctance to dub anything of late unless it's pretty much guaranteed to do well enough to turn a profit with a dub. They can't possibly be in a good financial situation right now given their lack of dubs and lack of releases in general. So, I find it hard to believe that 2009 was a "very good year" unless it was simply a case of them making decent money in comparison to what they spent. They can't have been making tons. They didn't release enough. Best case, I would think that what they released did reasonably well, but with so little of it, they can only have made so much money.

However, regardless of how well they may or may not be doing, I definitely hope that they pull out of it and continue to dub series. I'd hate to see another anime company go, and as many problems as they'd had, Bandai has released some great shows. So, hopefully they do well enough this year to actually be going strong rather than looking like they're on their last legs.
_V_

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
You got pwned, Bandai.

Oh who are you fooling? You had *one* new release this Christmas season! Code Geass R2! There weren't even re-releases! And NOW what?

Truth be told, you have a parent Japanese company, its out of your hands, and similar to how Geneon USA got shut down, I wouldn't be surprised on any given day now to wake up and turn on ANN and see an announcement that you're shutting down.

Try to go out with some dignity.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they really aren't in trouble. To me it seems they've been slowing down alot and making a few questionable moves. If they stopped making such douchey moves (kurokami blu rays, hayate price, expecting people to actually buy Endless Eight, 4 Code Geass R2 releases instead of 3), they might not seem so iffy.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Well it's good news that they don't plan on closing down. But if they stop doing dubs I am going to find that very upsetting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
You got pwned, Bandai.

Oh who are you fooling? You had *one* new release this Christmas season! Code Geass R2! There weren't even re-releases! And NOW what?

Truth be told, you have a parent Japanese company, its out of your hands, and similar to how Geneon USA got shut down, I wouldn't be surprised on any given day now to wake up and turn on ANN and see an announcement that you're shutting down.

Try to go out with some dignity.

Is there a reason why you seem to be so hostile toward them? It's extremely unusual for any company to just come out and say, "we're screwed if this doesn't work." That's just how it works.

In all likelihood, Bandai is telling the truth when they say that they'll still be going for a while, but not necessarily in the same manner as they have.
sdhd

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Maybe ANNCast should do another interview and ask Eric Sherman to clarify what he meant in regards to Bandai Entertainment aspect of dubbing or subbing business?

I thought it was strange that he believes in fansub and fansubbers doing good will to the anime industry while he is against ripped R1 dvds on the internet. Aren't they both essentially harming the anime industry at the end of the day by costing the companies to lose dvds sales.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Ahem! wrote:
Geneon continues to strongly pursue...
Geneon is also active in placing anime series on TV...
The next segment of the panel introduced several of the anime that Geneon has acquired earlier in the year....
And while no firm date was given for Guardian of the Sacred Spirit either, one of the panelists mentioned that it will hit store shelves “a lot sooner than you may think....
Finally, the panelists moved on to announce Geneon's final new acquisitions....

Notice the date. And the similarities in speech.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
Maybe ANNCast should do another interview and ask Eric Sherman to clarify what he meant in regards to Bandai Entertainment aspect of dubbing or subbing business?

I thought it was strange that he believes in fansub and fansubbers doing good will to the anime industry while he is against ripped R1 dvds on the internet. Aren't they both essentially harming the anime industry at the end of the day by costing the companies to lose dvds sales.

I think the big distinction comes from many fansubs being for shows that aren't available yet, whereas an R1 rip is obviously available for purchase. Don't know, I'm just taking a stab at it.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Well, that was the impression that I got. Bandai isn't closing, but if things don't work out, they would be sub-only. ...

if Bandai is not doing dubs, then they may as well be shut down from BangZoom's perspective. That would still leave Media Blasters to throw them some work ("Welcome to your audition for the part, first try an 'ooh' ... good ..."), but maybe not from Funimation or Sentai/Section23.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8