• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Alive - The Final Evolution TV Anime Formally Dropped

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, can't believe it's been two years since the announcement--doesn't feel like that long at all. The idea of seeing this animated never really captured me anyway; I'll be fine with the manga.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Quick! Everyone look surprised!
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
awman that sucks. I was anticipating this as a new Gonzo title Sad
Seljuk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Figured as much.

But it still would have been a nice surprise to hear that it had been saved.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Seljuk wrote:
Figured as much.

Not to trivialize the entire matter, but this reminds me of Mother Three. Or rather all the efforts from the fans and unofficial translators for the game. Myself included, tons of fans called, emailed and did everything they could (even sent letters as well) to Nintendo in hopes that if enough people showed interest, the game would be licensed.

Although the unofficial translators would have given up any work had Nintendo licensed the game, luckily the game was translated. I personally must have called Nintendo every day for about four months before I eventually stopped.

The reason Alive was dropped is probably similar to why Nintendo didn't pick up Mother Three. Money, flat and simple. But, this goes beyond just being an issue of money. There would have been a risk involved if the show and game didn't sell and that could cost both companies ton of cash and such.

But like Mother Three, there is always the chance this show might be animated some day. In M3 sense, the game might be licensed.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Seljuk wrote:
Figured as much.

Not to trivialize the entire matter, but this reminds me of Mother Three. Or rather all the efforts from the fans and unofficial translators for the game. Myself included, tons of fans called, emailed and did everything they could (even sent letters as well) to Nintendo in hopes that if enough people showed interest, the game would be licensed.

Although the unofficial translators would have given up any work had Nintendo licensed the game, luckily the game was translated. I personally must have called Nintendo every day for about four months before I eventually stopped.

The reason Alive was dropped is probably similar to why Nintendo didn't pick up Mother Three. Money, flat and simple. But, this goes beyond just being an issue of money. There would have been a risk involved if the show and game didn't sell and that could cost both companies ton of cash and such.

But like Mother Three, there is always the chance this show might be animated some day. In M3 sense, the game might be licensed.

I know this is off topic and I hate to burst your bubble - especially since I'm a huge Earthbound fan who played the fan translation of M3 - but seriously what are the chances of an old Gameboy Advance game being licensed at this point. It's pretty much unimaginable unless the game is ported / remade for the DS or Nintendo's next handheld.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
I know this is off topic and I hate to burst your bubble - especially since I'm a huge Earthbound fan who played the fan translation of M3 - but seriously what are the chances of an old Gameboy Advance game being licensed at this point. It's pretty much unimaginable unless the game is ported / remade for the DS or Nintendo's next handheld.

Wiiware and Virtual Console exist?
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:

Wiiware and Virtual Console exist?

What are the chances of it coming to NA or Europe?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
Like it was expected to go on with the studio being GONZO. Rolling Eyes

Hopefully Madhouse or BONES will pick this up now. Mardock Scramble is being released by another studio also.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
awman that sucks. I was anticipating this as a new Gonzo title Sad

Same here. It's truly a shame imo, but so long as Del Rey keeps churnin' out the manga volumes, I'll live.

I'm sad that I don't see Alive in my local bookstores anymore. It needs more exposure to really find a stable audience.
NDenizen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:04 am Reply with quote
Not really a surprise - though the fact they announced its discontinuation is at least helpful. Usually most series sink into nothing.

Strange though, considering this was an AIC collaboration - there's nothing stopping them from picking up the project themselves (except of course the fact they seem to have joined the long line of studios who are only interested in harem and more wish fulfillment crap).

Alive is a great manga, and one of my current favourites, so it would be a shame to not see it get the recognition it deserves. At least this announcement indicates the chance another studio might show some interest and pick it up themselves.
ApricotDanish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
Can't say I didn't see it coming, but I was really looking forward to a chance that it would be revived.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I just hope Del Rey can get on bringing the manga back. It's been too long!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1