• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wreck-It Ralph Director Wants to Put Mario in Possible Sequel

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Has to be Mario from Donkey Kong. IIRC, that's the Mario in US arcade.

Unfortunately, Lou Albano already died to voice him. Confused
(The Wreck-It Ralph folks know their game history.)
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. I loved "Wreak-It Ralph," and I'm sure there's tons of material they could draw from to make the sequel great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Has to be Mario from Donkey Kong. IIRC, that's the Mario in US arcade.

There's also Mario Kart in arcades, which is basically what Sugar Rush is based off.

Also, although they consider it a hit, if you look at the numbers, it's hard to believe. It did pretty well domestically, but if you look at the budget to its sales, it looks like it's only slightly profitable. I'm actually curious why it has had such a limited international release. It's a major Disney movie, it should be in more countries than that! Even UK has yet to get it, if they even do. I'm wondering if it has to do with international licenses of the characters used in the movies. I hope not. Of course, many movies do take forever to make it around the world.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
If Mario is gonna be in it, I hope other iconic video game characters will get their due like Mega Man or Simon Belmont.

I hope Sinistar gets to be a villain! I love Sinistar! Very Happy
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I hated the first movie, they tried to rely on popular video game pop culture to draw people in and it still didn't make that much profit. Not to mention it was just pointless cameos in the end and not really that important to the film. Even Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue did more than Disney did.. and man, Sarah Silverman is a terrible voice actress. Her character was so annoying and grating when I can only assume they were going for cute. I wish CG movies would cast actual voice actors for roles rather than celebrities and stop modeling the characters after them. Disney has fallen so far from their glory days.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Even Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue did more than Disney did.

The rest of your opinion aside, which you are fully entitled to - you clearly have not seen that special in years. Yowza. Laughing

I would LOVE for there to be a sequel. This was a great movie IMO, one of the best Disney movies in years. If you went in expecting the game characters to be anything more than a cameo, then you would be disappointed I guess, but...why WOULD you think it was going to be more than that? This was more or less a video game version of 'Roger Rabbit', so of course it had it's own story just spiced up with real cameos, and like 'Roger Rabbit', it had plenty of good stuff in it to stand on it's own two feet as a great film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
There was also an arcade version of Super Mario Bros.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
I wish CG movies would cast actual voice actors for roles rather than celebrities and stop modeling the characters after them. Disney has fallen so far from their glory days.

You must really hate Pixar then, and any Ghibli dub.

Disney is definitely doing better again, and Disney has always been a roller coaster ride of successes and flops, like how they did terrible in the 40's and 80's (although many are still greatly enjoyed). You say they "fell far", but I recall movies like Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons, when they were in "Dreamworks competition mode" rather than trying to make something, well, GOOD. John Lasseter has been helping out their main studios recently, which is also a good thing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

John Lasseter has been helping out their main studios recently, which is also a good thing.

Not only helping out - Lasseter is now the head of all of Disney animation, including Pixar.

Wreck-It Ralph is already the 2nd highest domestic gross for the new Disney Animation Studio, behind only Tangled aka Rapunzel. For a November release, even though it came when the Presidential election was dominating the airwaves and when Hurricane Sandy devastated the populated Northeast and left many households and theaters without electricity and gas for days and weeks. So thru all that, it did admirably, even with critics, but more importantly with those who appreciate gaming history, right down to the music.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
^ A lot of good points. Domestically, it did very well, even though considering that in the domestic market alone, the movie JUST broke-even. Still, I can't forget that a lot of Disney's success is in its international audience as well, which is how many movies like Brave, started off slow, but eventually reached the top 100 highest-grossing movies as time went on. Funny, because I thought Brave was more of a Disney feature for being a fairy tale, and Wreak-it-Ralph more of a Pixar movie, for being unique with its new ideas.

Oh, and going back to that thing about it being arcade-only thus Mario has to be an arcade form, well, Bowser WAS in the movie, as was Sonic. Did Sonic even ever have an arcade release?
Jinxey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I would love a sequel, it was a really good movie. What they talked about with the sequel through is going be more based around console gaming then the actual arcade machines and also online gaming. Here is the line that talks about it. In an interview on October 25, 2012, director Rich Moore said that he and Disney have ideas about a sequel that would bring the characters up to date and explore online gaming and console gaming.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
do it and while you're at it, put in Samus and Link.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

Yeah I got to admit Pixar is pretty bad too. Dreamworks is probably the worst out of them all I just hate how we can't have a movie here without some Hollywood actor playing a 'voice' actor. I swear, they make these dang movies entirely around getting certain Hollywood actors to do the voices and just push them more than the actual movie itself. Who cares about making an original story and interesting 'animation', as long as you have Johnny Depp and that chick from Glee doing the voices. The bad part about that is how characters' appearance and personality and animation and whatnot is so heavily based on the actor that's portraying them, to the point where it feels like it might as well not be animated at all. There's a chart of Wreck it Ralph's voice actors by their characters and it's amazing how similar they look to the point of unoriginality. It's like that's the only way anyone over the age of 10 could enjoy these films is to took them by bragging how a Saturday Night Live star is voicing a character. I don't watch anime dubbed so I can't comment but if they do that with Ghibli's stuff as well that's a damn shame. Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies alone have more substance than any of these movies they shouldn't have to stooping to their level and resort of name dropping to get an audience for those films. It sounds like from posts here most of the appeal for them was the cameos and what future characters they want to see, not the actual 'story' in the film. That says quite a lot don't you think? Very sneaky of Disney.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo needs to stay adamant. I wouldn't even be able to express my disappointment at seeing Mario in anything related to Disney. It's nothing but unnerving how monopolistic and "big for their britches" Disney's become, infiltrating everything from video games to Studio Ghibli, Marvel to LucasFilms, or sports (ESPN) to news media (ABC). Basically Disney, you need to mind your own damned business -- literally.

Last edited by Tenbyakugon on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Yeah I got to admit Pixar is pretty bad too. Dreamworks is probably the worst out of them all I just hate how we can't have a movie here without some Hollywood actor playing a 'voice' actor. I swear, they make these dang movies entirely around getting certain Hollywood actors to do the voices and just push them more than the actual movie itself. Who cares about making an original story and interesting 'animation', as long as you have Johnny Depp and that chick from Glee doing the voices. The bad part about that is how characters' appearance and personality and animation and whatnot is so heavily based on the actor that's portraying them, to the point where it feels like it might as well not be animated at all. There's a chart of Wreck it Ralph's voice actors by their characters and it's amazing how similar they look to the point of unoriginality. It's like that's the only way anyone over the age of 10 could enjoy these films is to took them by bragging how a Saturday Night Live star is voicing a character. I don't watch anime dubbed so I can't comment but if they do that with Ghibli's stuff as well that's a damn shame. Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies alone have more substance than any of these movies they shouldn't have to stooping to their level and resort of name dropping to get an audience for those films.

Right, because being a big name actor automatically disqualifies you from being a good voice actor. And having the actor inspiring the character design is absolutely unheard of in anime. And of course if a movie dares to have celebrity voices that means it doesn't have a good story or animation. And I don't know about you, but I've seen Wreck-It Ralph twice already, who was named dropped beside some references to old video game characters?
I'm not disagreeing with you about horrible animated movies that are not remotely improved by people vocally mugging, but that does not make up all celebrity voice-acting.
(And I think the Johnny Depp jab was meant to be directed at Rango, which had a cute if simplistic story and gorgeous animation, so.... your point besides not linking Depp's performance?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3