• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Residency Program for Foreign Animators Launched

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
This actually sounds like a really cool idea. Getting experience working on an actual anime could probably get these people an in on working at an actual anime company (if they speak fluent Japanese, that is). Hopefully the some of the successful applicants won't just be Japanese citizens living overseas but international animators that can bring this experience back to wherever they live and use it for their own industry.
The stipulation that something you made must have been screened at an international film festival is a good way to weed out the uh.... untrained. Hopefully it'll be successful and if they run it in the future, they'll be able to expand the program past three people!
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
This is so cool. I wish I could draw but I suck at drawing cartoon/animation. I wonder if this mean we will see more non-Japanese anime director like Michael Arias who directed Tekkon Kinkreet? I would like to see maybe some of our OEL manga artists to maybe get involved with this. That would be nice. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
my only gripe, is that they only want animators, what about pre and post production, there is more to anime than just someone who draws it,

I myself am getting good at post production work, and that is by self teaching, and hands on work at home, using programs designed for that type of work,
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
my only gripe, is that they only want animators, what about pre and post production, there is more to anime than just someone who draws it,

I myself am getting good at post production work, and that is by self teaching, and hands on work at home, using programs designed for that type of work,

I don't want to make you mad, but don't flatter yourself. People who think they're very confident on doing something are not actually good. On the other hand, who aren't too sure about their skill are bring out the best work. It's a proven fact.

Pre-production is something that requires considerable amount of experience. Drawing skill is one of them. Sure, some anime directors aren't great draftsman, but they still have create and/or approve storyboard drawings that CLEARLY explains the scene. You should know that you have to create everything by hand (with papers or computers) Becoming animator is one of the ways to get into pre-production in the future.

Post production is another matter. If you're in the foreign country where you don't speak their native language, forget entering the one. How are you going to communicate with Japanese production staff everything sound related? It's not like they will throw in a professional translator for a TV show with crummy budget to help you out. Film editing too. You have to communicate with director before making cuts.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
GloriousMaximus wrote:
The stipulation that something you made must have been screened at an international film festival is a good way to weed out the uh.... untrained. Hopefully it'll be successful and if they run it in the future, they'll be able to expand the program past three people!

I agree that it's good idea. You know what? I want to see some foreign kids embarrass themselves by thinking that they could enter the industry because they can draw "THE MANGA STYLE". I know it's wrong, I have this weird feeling about it.
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
I agree it would be amusing to see kids be embarrased to learn they can't draw in the 'manga' style. But I think the prerequiste of having had your work shown at an international film festival might limit those people. But then again, I don't know how difficult it is to get works screened at film festival, but it takes some effort to convince the judges your work is good.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
This is a really cool idea, encouraging international cooperation on animation is a great step in anime. And who knows what this might spawn now, a great animator might be trained in this program. So i commend the JAPIC for setting us this program. And I'm green with envy for anyone who is chosen to participate in this residency. My only problem with it is that I can't enter to win. Sadly my animation skills are non-existent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sukochi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
whilst this is a great idea....i had to put myself through japanese school for 2 years (4hours everyday mon~fri) and then 2 years anime school, whilst living here in tokyo, to finally get a job in the anime industry (which is Background Art Designer)....so although its a nice idea and would look good on a resume(back home) its not really that great....

long hours (over 13hrs per day)
piece rate (paid per pic)
language barrier (although you may draw well, unless you speak the lingo, you can forget trying to have meetings about what your gonna be working on)

so its great, and fun for 70 days or so, but it is damn hard work and not to be sniffed at. good luck to those who are serious about it! you need to be.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:10 am Reply with quote
Not at all a bad idea, seeing as fewer people are going into the anime industry. Can't blame some for that kind of move, as working with games can earn a person more money, with possibly much less hours, while on a bigger global industry stage.

Welcoming applicants from outside japan is a positive move, that all parties involved can learn from, yes even the japanese hosts. 75 days is enough of a taster, to see whether the chosen, want to stay in Japan, or return home to work on their own material. I'll look forward to their insight once they are done.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
Speaking for someone who has a background in animation, I like this idea. Though I am hesitant to join the band wagon. Who knows how long this type of program will last. Last time I checked the economy in Japan isn't doing that hot. With added pressure of doing immigration work to keep these artists in Japan legally (not a fun task, if doing alone).

I agree with those who have worked in Japan before. You will be expected to work long, long hours and not get paid that much. Plus this something called "work for hire." You will only be working in Japan for one year (that's it). If you want to work at that company long, my guess is you will need to leave Japan and reapply (not 100%).

This is just something for you young'ns to think about if you really want to do this kind of thing. I would do a ton of research before you dive right in.

Just my ni yen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1