Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - But is it Art?


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 5058
Location: Fresno, TX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
That video... just... wow Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Twilightmaster



Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 96

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
That video from what looked like the 90's makes me sad. partly because it's nostalgic, partly because they remind me of my parents and how they talk about the internet... u.u
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greed1914



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 1808

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
Twilightmaster wrote:
That video from what looked like the 90's makes me sad. partly because it's nostalgic, partly because they remind me of my parents and how they talk about the internet... u.u


What makes me sad is the combination of knowing that I was alive when the internet looked like that and computers could get by with that kind of hardware, and knowing that there are kids that would consider that stuff stone age. I hate feeling old at 23. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sydra



Joined: 29 Jan 2004
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Twilightmaster wrote:
That video from what looked like the 90's makes me sad. partly because it's nostalgic, partly because they remind me of my parents and how they talk about the internet... u.u


What makes me sad is the combination of knowing that I was alive when the internet looked like that and computers could get by with that kind of hardware, and knowing that there are kids that would consider that stuff stone age. I hate feeling old at 23. Confused


Yeah. I remember my dad having a computer that only had two colors, two (orange and black). Terrible. I'm 26 by the way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
InnocentSorrow59



Joined: 12 Aug 2010
Posts: 156
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
Sydra wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Twilightmaster wrote:
That video from what looked like the 90's makes me sad. partly because it's nostalgic, partly because they remind me of my parents and how they talk about the internet... u.u


What makes me sad is the combination of knowing that I was alive when the internet looked like that and computers could get by with that kind of hardware, and knowing that there are kids that would consider that stuff stone age. I hate feeling old at 23. Confused


Yeah. I remember my dad having a computer that only had two colors, two (orange and black). Terrible. I'm 26 by the way.


I-I feel so young all of a sudden/

Is it just me or did his answers seem more...aggressive this week? I don't really care much (Aggressive Answerman owns all?) but it kinda felt that way...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 13113

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
I thought Usopp's supposed to be Jewish, but I could be wrong.
Anyway, lemme respond to that video with this. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
sokpupet



Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 102

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah! on the awesome piece of One Piece fan art. I keep hoping that the artist responsible will do another with Brook, or wait until the mythical 10th member finally joins.

I had it as my computer wallpaper when I worked at Amazon.com a few years ago, but I was asked to take it down because they'd gotten complaint(s) about it. Philistines!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
NamaeX



Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 65
Location: The Internet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
Usopp is perhaps the most interesting take on the hero archetype in that they are a supporting character instead of the main protagonist. If you think about it, he's the one that advances the story. If he did not spoiler[fire their cannon at the island they would not have had Zoro's friend, Johnny board their ship, who would lead them to the seafaring restaurant Baratie, where their next crew member was. If it weren't for Usopp's handy weapon modifying skills, Nami wouldn't have been able to defeat Miss Double-Finger in Alabasta, without Usopp, the Going Merry would have sunk long before because he was the one repairing the ship before they got Franky, and because of Usopp's sniping skills, they were able to help rescue Robin when the bridge was out and they needed the key to her cuffs immediately.].

Usopp has gone from a simple boy who told unreal stories of his adventures to his love interest and now he's living unreal stories of his adventures of which he may one day share when he returns home. He develops into a fine young man who, at the start was a weak coward to a very versatile and resourceful crew member of the straw-hat pirates, a "Great warrior of the sea" as he wishes to one day become.


Last edited by NamaeX on Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CCSYueh



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Posts: 2707
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Would you consider Usopp to be a non-PC character like Mr. Popo from Dragon Ball?

I always thought he was Spanish or Italian or maybe Greek. Wow. I never imagined someone would see him as politically incorrect. Sanji's girl-crazy seems more questionable but I love his fighting style.
If one watches the show, Usopp is the one who embodies the human spirit. He sees Luffy & Zoro as super-human & himself as outclassed, yet he still, after feeling overwhelmed, rises to whatever crisis he faces & overcomes it. He's like that bit of the speech The Wizard of Oz directs at the Cowardly Lion--Usopp is usually terrified, but he holds up his end of a fight despite that fear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Greed1914



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 1808

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:


Is it just me or did his answers seem more...aggressive this week? I don't really care much (Aggressive Answerman owns all?) but it kinda felt that way...


I liked it. To the point answers are my favorite.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teh*darkness



Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Posts: 901

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:42 am Reply with quote
Alright, had a random bit of past info come to mind while reading the answer that mentioned the Japanese fear of reverse importation. If there's this huge Japanese consumer underbelly for cheap anime through importation, then why do they have research data saying that lowering the prices on their releases does not result in an increase in sales? The lack of cheap prices because it doesn't create more sales put next to the fear of increased import sales due to cheap prices... does not compute. Try harder, Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Kyogissun



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 676

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:27 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I so do not look forward to the answers for next week's Answerfan. Why? Because I know there will be someone who wishes to write a diatribe about how fanservice is going to be the downfall of the industry.

It's not that I don't want to see it trashed, I don't care either way, I just don't look forward to the idea of someone getting on a pedestal and preaching about how they think that it's the end of the world cause we're getting like, 3-4 extra fanservice heavy shows this year.

Greed1914 wrote:
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:


Is it just me or did his answers seem more...aggressive this week? I don't really care much (Aggressive Answerman owns all?) but it kinda felt that way...


I liked it. To the point answers are my favorite.


I liked them too. Not to say Brian beats around the bush, I just think that it's nice to see... well, 'lively' answers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Penguin_Factory



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 709
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you could become any female anime character who would it be?


I would be Kino from Kino's Journey, as long as I also got the talking motorbike.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lord Geo



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 1174

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
I can almost guaratee that absolutely nobody even knew that the female anime character shown is from the anime Monkey Turn... Shame, too, as Monkey Turn is an excellent anime but was never fully fansubbed (and what was fansubbed is impossible to find now).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prime_pm



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Posts: 1517
Location: Under Your Bed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Quote:
If you could become any female anime character who would it be?


I would be Kino from Kino's Journey, as long as I also got the talking motorbike.


Doubled!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group