• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto

"When what you want to do is what you have to do....you'll be able to hear the voice of the world! Well then...raise your voice and let's sing out our youth together!
APPRIVOISE!
Ginga Bishounen! TAUBURN!"

One of the other shows I was looking forward to this season has started. And while it was a little confusing at parts, it was mighty entertaining. Oh yes, I am definitely following this one.

Oh and maids in bunny ears. Enjoy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
As somebody else has already pointed out, this show truly is FAAAAAAAAAABULOUS!!! in more ways than one. Tauburn....swishest mecha evar. I don't think there was a single frame in the first episode that I didn't absolutely adore. I'm definitely a fanboi for this one.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
It's been so long since I have had my FABULOUS TM mecha fix. Best show evar!
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
You know, while this was FABULOUS, it wasn't as fabulous as I was expecting. It was mainly just Takuto's stuff. The rest of it was pretty regular/interesting story stuff.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a pretty series and great quality too. Pretty traditional for the most part but it's the first episode so that's really too early to say. It'll be interesting in how the whole good guys, bad guys being in the same place will work out. I didn't look at any of the promo stuff for this series so the mecha design caught me off guard once we got the money shot of the whole mech. Didn't expect the swashbuckler motif nor the kinda captain look for the main character. But odds are I'll watch this through the end. Kinda weird no one picked this up yet. Must be going through talks right now or it's too big of a question mark.
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode and it was a pretty interesting episode. Definitely worth watching, i wouldn't say it was fabulous, but it was entertaining enough. If you want a Mecha show, this is probably the one to watch out of the ones out this season. Good quality animation and it has good potential to grow into a good show but thus far I would say it was above average.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't too impressed by the first half episode. It seemed your standard introduction. It wasn't until the protagonist sneaked into the the spoiler[secret mine base] (IT'S A PINCH!!) that the plot picked up for me, especially with the mech fight. By the way, I those are the best mecha designs. Period.
I also did like the masquerade theme for the secret society's outfits. They added to the theatricality of the show. And the opening sequence was nice and colorful to boot. It has a lot of potential to go from fabulous to FABULOUS. I'll probably stick with it.
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
Wow. I liked all the intrigue of the missing father and all that coolness plus the weird boy who swam to the freaking island was pretty cool. I honestly thought that the worst part of the episode was the mech transitions; it wasn't all that slick imo for his clothes to just magically change for the queerer and his mech looked kind of like an early 1900's british snob. Buuut...

... as with Occult Academy last season I'm not a reasonable judge, because with the exception of Code Geass I pretty much hate mech anime. However, the characters and underlying story do have me very interested, and I will admit that the mecha fighting and general animation throughout was definitely awesome. So I'll keep watching. It won't convert me to liking mech series but if it maintains then I will probably like _this_ mech series. THe characters at this point are interesting, and the lack of annoying characters is a massive boon. The episode managed to fit funny, serious and outrageous all in one. And the lead chicky is hot. I'm in I guess Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
I was going to wait until NY Anime Fest to view this, but I was bored yesterday and so....well I may still go to the premiere just to see who picks it up.

As first the series itself...it's shaping up to be my favorite of the season. Interesting characters, cool mech designs, and of course FABULOUS transformations(I handled that better than I thought I would).

A word of warning though: If anyone is looking for the series to be deep and intellectual with a near perfect storyline...leave now and never return. This series is out to do one thing: be entertaining. If the storyline picks up later on(as it obviously will), that's fine of course, but this series is clearly out to be as over the top as possible.

Whoever picks it up(Funimation), seems to have a winner on their hands.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Sounds awesome from what people have said. Maybe something in the vein of Gurren Lagann? Lot's of mecha action not so much deep plot Anime hyper. Will be watching it soon then will give my 2c.

Quote:
Ginga Bishounen!

Still Dousn't Ginga Bishounen basically mean Galaxy Pretty Boy? That is going to really make me laugh if he ends up screaming it out every time he summons his mech Anime hyper
braves

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Funny to see that Shinichiro Watanabe directed the OP. That sure came out of nowhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
And while it was a little confusing at parts,

YOu ain't kidding! Laughing

But because that was obviously intentional it made me laugh. I mean the biggest laugh I got from the show were the those ridiculously vague sentence fragments the two characters speak to each other in the very first scene at the very beginning. In ten seconds it completely set me up knowing there would be absolutely no explanations in this episode, just random fragments, not even puzzle pieces, just hints, and that's waht we got.

Plus an character designer who dressed his villains after reading a bunch of Jack Kirby's 1970's DC comics. Smile
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Lol this series is hilarious I can't believe it actually CALLED him galaxy pretty boy in the subtitles Anime hyper

I think we are in for a fun ride with this one. The fight was cool and all but not one of the best I have seen but still v good and clearly up to scratch. Hopefully that will get better as the series progresses though.
BMJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I like watching dark plot driven shows where every minor detail is relevant. Other times I like watching a show that goes to outrageous extremes to NOT take itself seriously at all.

This show is decidedly in the latter camp.

Overused though it is, FABULOUS is really the only way to describe this show in one word. From the underground-lair henchmen's salute, to the mecha designs, to the hero's uniform change, they couldn't have been more spectacular.

I suspect this show is going to end up like Occult Academy. You'll have an enjoyable ride as long as you don't try and take it seriously at all. It's distilled entertainment in it's purest form. Try and analyze your way to a deep plot and you'll only set yourself up for disappointment.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Does the main character's transformation sequance seem familiar to anyone else Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8