• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Daily Video: Manga Art Evolution

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
By the way, the sourced blog here, Ogiue Maniax, is one of the few blogs worth reading on the internet and you should all bathe yourselves in it.

Just saying.

Also, seeing latter day Yuzo Takada was weird - it made me realize I've only ever seen what is by now his older stuff.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
I'm rather surprised they didn't feature Masakazu Katsura in this video. He's had quite a dramatic and interesting progression of styles in his various manga series.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
Funny. I was just looking at the first chapter or so of Berserk the other day on the Young Animal site and noticing how much it has changed.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:42 am Reply with quote
For some of these couldn't the changes be attributed to the video adaptations, and the character designers of those? Like, after the successful TV adaptations the author decided to adhere to those character designs opposed to the original designs? Of course I'm only speculating on that, but I think it could be a possibility. Although that makes me ask the question, how much freedom do "character designers" get when designing the characters for an adaptation?

I like when I go back and check out one of the old Naruto episodes for something and I notice how drastically different the animation style is compared to the new episodes of Shippuuden.
rabrek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:07 am Reply with quote
Fruits Basket was the first title that came to mind for me. The art changed so much from v1 to v23 that it's hard to believe it's the same mangaka. (There was talk of Takaya having hand problems, and I suspect that was a significant factor.)
Whoomp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
Oooh, only one year behind Sankaku this time Razz It's an interesting video but you only posted the first part of 3, NSFW link to the rest here.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:12 am Reply with quote
This reminds of how webcomics change so drastically over time. For example, if you look at the first Least I Could Do to the latest, it's a huge jump.

Pandadice wrote:
For some of these couldn't the changes be attributed to the video adaptations, and the character designers of those? Like, after the successful TV adaptations the author decided to adhere to those character designs opposed to the original designs? Of course I'm only speculating on that, but I think it could be a possibility. Although that makes me ask the question, how much freedom do "character designers" get when designing the characters for an adaptation?

I was thinking that same thing. Seto's was the biggest one I noticed because it actually looks the original got worse so it could match the anime's style. I'm saying the anime's style is bad, I quite like it, but the original certainly looked better to me. Although, I suppose the latter does suit slapstick better since it's simpler.

Many certainly got better, though. Ah My Goddess' was certainly a change for the good along with Yugi-Oh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RisikaFox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:24 am Reply with quote
For some reason, the video didn't work for me. I just get Japanese characters scrolling by. O.o
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
Bastard!! was the first one I thought about.

I'm kind of shock it looks like some of those series seriously devolved over time though. Like the Go!! Southern Ice Hockey Club, it starts out looking like a normal manga and then gets really stylistic but it seems more like lack of effort then choice of style.

Jing, King of Bandits surprised me the most on just how different it looks. It totally starts out as meh and turns into something I'd be interested in based on the art.

Banana Fish was interesting too, I've read all of it and I never noticed how the character designs start off more Katsuhiro Otomo in style and end up more yaoi/shoujo ai-ish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
This was so much fun to watch. It also helped to introduce me to a bunch of new (from my POV, at least) series to investigate!

I wish there were more videos like this one. I love going back to vol. 1 or 2 of some of my fav long-running manga (Fruits Basket, Naruto, and Bleach of course are some heavy hitters these days, so I love seeing how the art styles for those series have changed/improved/whathaveyou. And others like D.N.Angel and Negima! are really fascinating to compare, too).

If there's any chance another of these videos will be made, I'd be immensely grateful for a heads-up. Anime catgrin

btw, the fairy-looking little kid (boy?) was from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, right? Can anyone tell me more about him/her?
sepherest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

btw, the fairy-looking little kid (boy?) was from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, right? Can anyone tell me more about him/her?

That's actually Puck the fairy from Berserk, you can see Guts being compared right next to him. The only characters they show from Jojo are the versions of Jotaro from Stardust Crusaders and Stone Ocean, and Dio from Phantom Blood and Stone Ocean.

After watching I'm surprised at how nice the art had gotten in Jing. It was nice to see some more other series that are obscure on the western side too, like Patalliro! and Mahōjin Guru Guru.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Shows that there's much more to the manga than what was told in the anime (Berserk). I'd love to read the Berserk manga to get the whole story. I think Puck is a girl, but either way I don't remember seeing her in the anime.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Flame of Recca came to my mind first. Its really wierd how you don't notcie the art shift because it happens over 33 volumes..
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
Interesting. Very Happy Some of them improved over time, and some of them looked watered down.

Can someone pls tell me the title of the 1st song inserted in this video?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1