• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tenchi Muyo GXP Pic

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to John (not "Jown") Willis for scanning the pic, and in several different sizes. I, for one, really appreciate it.

But why are Tenchi, Ryouko and Ayeka in the pic? I thought this was going to be a prequel. My User ID aside, I was sorta hoping Tenchi wouldn't show up at all (since I thought he wasn't born yet in the timeframe of the series), and if Ayeka and Ryoko were going to show up, it would be in cameos. I thought the whole point of Seina Yamada (the guy) was that he was going to be the surrogate Tenchi in this series, since he looks basically identical to Tenchi, except with red cheeks and no "rat-tail"-type ponytail. I certainly do hope Kiyone, my favourite Tenchi babe, gets a cameo sometime, presumably as a small girl.

Kiriko Masaki looks like she'll be the "Kiyone" of this series, except, of course, she's related to Tenchi somehow. Kiriko can't be Tenchi's great grandmother, unless this is the original TV continuity in which we never really found out one way or the other whether or not Funaho was Yoshou's mother. Everything I've read indicates that GXP takes place in the OVA continuity, which is a pity IMHO, since I'm one of the minority of Tenchi fans who prefer the 1st TV continuity to the OVA continuity. (I find the Tenchi Universe continuity to be a bit more logical than the OVAs; Sasami is just Sasami, and Washuu is just a "mad scientist" and nothing more (as is hinted in OVA episodes 11-12). And there's Kiyone, although from Manatsu no Eve/Daughter of Darkness we know she'll show up in the OVA continuity eventually. (N.B.: Kiyone never was trapped in deep space. On the back of the Mihoshi Special LD there's a disclaimer stating essentially that everything that happens in the episode never really happened; it was all Mihoshi's imagination.)

I was also kind of hoping Nagi, the bounty hunter from Tenchi Universe, would also appear in GXP as a supporting character, to be the Boba Fett of the show. She was a great character that seems to have been completely abandonded by the creators. (About the only thing wrong with the first Tenchi Muyo in Love movie was that Nagi didn't appear at all.)

And I was hoping that, right at the beginning of the first episode of GXP, Krusty the Clown would show up and present a sworn affidavit that no characters or plot devices from Shin Tenchi Muyo/Tenchi in Tokyo would show up in GXP. Especially the stupid crystals. (Though TinT is an alright series on its own merits, just so long as you pretend that the characters have nothing to do with the real Tenchi characters to whom they bear some resemblance.)

Oh well, at least they've gone back to the "classic" character designs for the original gang.

Also, am I the only Tenchi fan that is looking forward to GXP more than the third OVA series? As much as I'd like for the 3rd OVA series to answer some basic questions about the characters brought up by the 2nd OVA series, I'm just a little concerned that they might just screw everything up worse than it was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 6:58 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to see, but the series info is on the side for each of the series. The pic on the left is talking about the new OVA and the pic on the right is for the new TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Boxie wrote:

It's hard to see, but the series info is on the side for each of the series. The pic on the left is talking about the new OVA and the pic on the right is for the new TV series.

Oh yeah, there is a little icon indicating that it's for the OVA series. I hadn't tried reading the text yet, except for the names. (I can read it, but it takes me a looooonnnnggg time, since I have to look up half of the kanji in the Nelson.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Kiriko Masaki looks like she'll be the "Kiyone" of this series, except, of course, she's related to Tenchi somehow. Kiriko can't be Tenchi's great grandmother, unless this is the original TV continuity in which we never really found out one way or the other whether or not Funaho was Yoshou's mother. Everything I've read indicates that GXP takes place in the OVA continuity, which is a pity ...
And there's Kiyone, although from Manatsu no Eve/Daughter of Darkness we know she'll show up in the OVA continuity eventually.

My understanding of the series is that Seina is Tenchi's cousin, hence the simularities in look. The only cameo that's come up is the possibility that Ryoko would be in it.

As for Kiyone, she made an appearance in the Manga which was based off the OVA series. There's always a possiblity they will bring her in, although it would disrupt some of the relationships established by the OVA. (I happen to like Kiyone BTW, so I wouldn't mind her showing up).

Quote:

I was also kind of hoping Nagi, the bounty hunter from Tenchi Universe, would also appear in GXP as a supporting character, to be the Boba Fett of the show. She was a great character that seems to have been completely abandonded by the creators. (About the only thing wrong with the first Tenchi Muyo in Love movie was that Nagi didn't appear at all.)

Gack, I hope not. This was a useless character in my opinion. She served no real purpose in the TV series and only deflected some of the potential strife between Ayeka and Ryoko.

Quote:

And I was hoping that, right at the beginning of the first episode of GXP, Krusty the Clown would show up and present a sworn affidavit that no characters or plot devices from Shin Tenchi Muyo/Tenchi in Tokyo would show up in GXP. Especially the stupid crystals. (Though TinT is an alright series on its own merits, just so long as you pretend that the characters have nothing to do with the real Tenchi characters to whom they bear some resemblance.)

This I would have to second. Tenchi in Tokyo is better left ignored and should not even be salvaged for story ideas.

Quote:

Oh well, at least they've gone back to the "classic" character designs for the original gang.

Also, am I the only Tenchi fan that is looking forward to GXP more than the third OVA series? As much as I'd like for the 3rd OVA series to answer some basic questions about the characters brought up by the 2nd OVA series, I'm just a little concerned that they might just screw everything up worse than it was.

Probably. I'm looking forward to GXP just for the idea of a new cast of characters presented in a familiar universe. I was a bit concerned when I first heard about it, thinking it would be another rewrite of the original storyline.

It's the 3rd OVA I'm really looking forward to. I prefer the OVA continuity, because there was more interpersonal connections amongst the characters, and a much larger backstory to delve into.

The TV continuity tried to simplify things breaking up a lot of the connections between the characters. And don't get me started on Tenchi in Tokyo which just royally screwed things up.

I just hope with the popularity of this series thanks to Cartoon Network we'll see this series dubbed a lot faster than the standard timeframe. I also hope that the OVA isn't being designed with the mindframe of being shown on American Television. Let them cut it up and make their references to tea, but leave it true to the original OVA!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dudesup

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I lost the respect I had for tenchi creators when I bought one of the Dual! dvds. So, if they dont broadcast it on toonami Im not seeing it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Boxie wrote:

As for Kiyone, she made an appearance in the Manga which was based off the OVA series.

Uhhh... as far as I can remember, the only times Kiyone has shown up in the manga were for the Pretty Sammy story arc (and it's the alternate reality Kiyone) and for the manga adaption of Tenchi Muyo in Love, which was based in the continuity of the TV series (even though the rest of the manga is OVA continuity based). From what I hear, she's a major character in the Naoko Hasegawa novels. And she (and Nagi) were in the short-lived (and infamous, for the Hentai-ish way the characters were drawn) American Tenchi Muyo comic book series, though that was also based on the TV continuity. But Kiyone was in MnE/DoD, which was based in the OVA continuity (and which hinted that she might eventually become interested in Nobuyuki).

Boxie, about Nagi wrote:

Gack, I hope not. This was a useless character in my opinion. She served no real purpose in the TV series and only deflected some of the potential strife between Ayeka and Ryoko.

Well, i liked Nagi on her own merits (definite unexplored yuri potential there), but she also gave Ryoko something to do besides just going after Tenchi all of the time. And I like all Bounty Hunters, from Bobba Fett to Spike Siegel to Dale Gribble ("I have a hat.").

Boxie wrote:

Tenchi in Tokyo is better left ignored and should not even be salvaged for story ideas.

Oh wait, scratch my earlier comment, I did like the idea, strongly hinted at in the TinT episode where Tenchi's class stumbles across the ruins in western Tokyo (was it Okutama-machi?), that Jurai seeded life on Earth (and, perhaps on other planets, which would explain why Kiyone appears to be an ordinary human). It was a good idea wasted on TinT.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Good golly. You people shore know yer Tenchi, sho'nuff.

As for GXP: I'm utterly swearing myself off of all AIC alternate-universe dealies after the sheer mediocrity of The Wanderers and the unbridled terribleness of Tenchi in Tokyo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 12:42 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

Uh, yeah, someone choosing the User I.D. "Tenchi" would usually indicate some degree of familiarity with at least one of the Tenchi series. Unless I'm a Tenchi poseur.

LordByronius wrote:

As for GXP: I'm utterly swearing myself off of all AIC alternate-universe dealies after the sheer mediocrity of The Wanderers and the unbridled terribleness of Tenchi in Tokyo.

I'll tell you why I have confidence that GXP will be a huge improvement over Tenchi in Tokyo. Back when AIC did the Wanderers: El Hazard (1996 I think) and then Tenchi in Tokyo (1997), the North American fanbase for AIC's stuff was growing (Pioneer had already been selling Tenchi Muyo in North America since 1993), but still was only a tiny drop in the bucket compared to the domestic Japanese market. Now that Tenchi Muyo is about as popular as a non-little-kiddy anime can realistically hope to be in North America, since it is shown on television (at least in the States; we're still waiting for it to appear on YTV or Teletoon up here in Canada, but I digress), DVD sales of Tenchi Muyo in North America probably make up a significant percentage of total sales (presumably not the majority, but a significant share nevertheless). So they'd be doing GXP (and the 3rd OVA series) with the North American market at least partly in their minds, and, as such, they'd tweak some things to appeal to the North American market. And, since they do get feedback from North Americans (I've sent them two or three e-mails myself), I'd imagine they'd be fully aware that the OVA version of Tenchi Muyo is the most popular with us. (I like the first TV series better than the OVA series for various reasons (except for animation, which is admittedly more limited than the OVAs), but I'm fully aware I'm the minority as far as North Amercan fans are concerned.) So, I'd be very surprised if GXP isn't based in the OVA continuity (who's to say Nagi can't appear in the OVA continuity?), which it is, from everything I've read about it thus far, and shouldn't even be considered an "alternate reality" storyline. "Side story" would be a more accurate description for GXP.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:16 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

Jeez, the only Tenchi I looking forward to is the next OVA series. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ShockWave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 10:36 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'm not enthralled with the idea of a prequal. I most want to see more of the goddess back story, especially Washu's past. That's what most interests me what with her becoming mortal (or maybe just a non goddess) and giving up her first child and all.

And for the record, I will admit that I enjoyed Shin Tenchi. Not the changes in the backstory but rather the characters dealing with Tenchi falling in love with completely different girl. And the premise that Tenchi protects the world by having its greatest enemies live with him amuses me to no end.
mike3560

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 11:35 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's me, but since GXP features the Galaxy Police you'd figure Mihoshi should show up in there somewhere. Not really a Mihoshi fan but it makes sense.

And I'm going to agree with others in that Kiyone is underused. Yeah, she's only Abbott to Mihoshi's Costello, but it was interesting to see a "normal" character and how she related to everything around here. They could have developed her character a lot more I thought.

And this maybe slightly off topic, but I could never figure out if Kiyone really had a thing for Tenchi or not. Any facts/proof/circumstansial evidence either way?

I'm guessing not, since the only romantic comment I can remember her making is from Shin Tenchi Muyo. Kiyone was trying to figure out what happened between Ryoko and Tenchi that made Ryoko want to leave the earth, and Kiyone said (Paraphrased) "Hhmm, maybe I'll take a shot at Tenchi then" or something like that.
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 3:41 pm Reply with quote
mike3560 wrote:

And this maybe slightly off topic, but I could never figure out if Kiyone really had a thing for Tenchi or not. Any facts/proof/circumstansial evidence either way?

I'm guessing not, since the only romantic comment I can remember her making is from Shin Tenchi Muyo. Kiyone was trying to figure out what happened between Ryoko and Tenchi that made Ryoko want to leave the earth, and Kiyone said (Paraphrased) "Hhmm, maybe I'll take a shot at Tenchi then" or something like that.

Kiyone shows only that bit towards Tenchi in Shin Tenchi Muyo. Other than that, she's just Mihoshi's partner, unfortunately confined to Earth. Some people felt she had a thing for Tenchi's Dad from some old OVA notes that made it out. Initially the name for Tenchi's mom was going to be Kiyone, but was changed to Achika for the first movie. 2 completely different characters.
Vicious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi, I really doubt that any anime co. put's much consideration into what the north american market thinks.(Unless it starts out as a joint US/Japan creation) Like in the US, we export more shows and movies then anyone, yet I doubt any of our shows creators think 'I wonder what the Japanese will think about this' or 'What can we do with this show to tap into the germen market?'

Frankly they don't care what the American market thinks, which I guess is a good thing sinse the general US opinion of what make's good anime is DBZ and Pokemon.

I will agree that it GXP will be vastly better then Tenchi in Tokyo...but that's just because it's impossible for it not to be :P

How did Tenchi in Tokyo/Shin Tenchi do in Japan anyway? I doubt it's just American's who liked the OAV series best and TiT(*juvenile giggle*) worst.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 5:33 pm Reply with quote
mike3560 wrote:

Maybe it's me, but since GXP features the Galaxy Police you'd figure Mihoshi should show up in there somewhere. Not really a Mihoshi fan but it makes sense.

Ah, here's a good site (except for the fricking midi version of the Tenchi Universe OP that loops constantly with no buttons to turn it off) with a little information in English about the characters. http://www.angelfire.com/anime3/animeinformer/tenchigxp.html
I knew Mihoshi's mother (Mitoto Kuramitsu; not shown on the scanned pages) was going to be in this, but I assumed as a Galaxy Police officer. Instead, if what's on this site is accurate, she's the cleaning lady, but she will still be one of the main characters! Also, Amane Kaunakku (the blonde one) is apparently a friend of Mihoshi's (though she's a much better shot). I thought Mihoshi would show up as a little girl, but if her friend is a GP officer, I presume GXP must take place in the present. But if it does take place in the present, why can't they have Kiyone and Mihoshi in supporting roles for at least an episode or two? (Well, maybe they will appear, for all I know.)

Also, I should point out that Kiriko Masaki, the dark-haired GP Personnel Officer (whose role on the show, and this is pure speculation on my part, may be as a cross between Kiyone (sober) and Ayeka (in love with Seina and jealous of Amane's advances)) has no relation to Tenchi, at least according to the site I cited earlier).

The site also says that Seina Yamada, the Tenchi clone, is accepted into the GP because they mistake him for a member of the Masaki family (Tenchi's family, not Kiriko's), so either Boxie has erroneous information about Seina being Tenchi's cousin, or this guy is wrong.

And, the space pirate named Ryoko in GXP has no connection to the space pirate Ryoko we know and love. I guess it's just a common name amongst space pirates. Or maybe she idolizes the real Ryoko and changed her name.

mike3560 wrote:

Although I, for one, would love for the producers to throw us a curveball and have Tenchi ultimatly marry Kiyone instead of Ryoko or Ayeka, I think Kiyone's more interested in her career than romance at this point in her life. And, as Manatsu no Eve/Daughter of Darkness indicated with tiny subtle hints that she might eventually fall for Nobuyuki (Tenchi's father), I'd wager she's only interested in guys that are a bit more mature than Tenchi. (Nobuyuki's mature?) I give very little credence to the theory that Kiyone and Mihoshi are secretly an item though. She really does have a lot of affection for Mihoshi, even if she's not wont to show it, but it's just the affection of friendship. Any further speculation otherwise should be relgated to the realm of yuri fanfiction. I'll try to forget the alternate reality version of Kiyone from the Pretty Sammy OVAs when she fell in love with the 12 year old Tenchi clone. She's not SHOTACON. It was just a sight gag. Let us never speak of that again.
dudesup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 7:16 pm Reply with quote
i hope its good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1