• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Yet More Heroes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymooo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Go, Splatterhouse, go. Insert my usual God of War griping here, but it's nice to see a return to a series that many people have forgotten about. Honestly, the imagery from the early Splatterhouse games was terrifying as hell, and some parts (like the Poltergeist) were very unsettling even without gore.

Sengoku Basara is always fun, but I kinda wish somebody would do the same for American history. Hell, turn the Civil War into a wild action beat-'em-up, with Robert E. Lee as a dapper gentleman brawler. Call it GARttysburg and we're all set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
Might want to fix the tags on Splatter House. Pretty sure it's way to violent to be devolped by Nintendo. Laughing

Last week I played the demo of Majin and I was surprised at how polished it felt. The only things that bothered me was the crappy design of the monster thingy and its voice. But from what I got out of the demo and it only being $40 this will be on my shelf soon.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And THEN Ieyasu redistributed land among all of the vassals who had served him during the war, thus ensuring continued loyalty and a stable power structure.

That's some dirty imagination you got there, Todd.

I'm mildly disappointed that Capcom went with the old MMX version of Zero instead the more recent MMZ or MMZX versions. Alternative costumes, maybe? Also, stop teasing and give us Frank West already, dammit!
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
Rune Factory 3's been fan-****ing-tastic people. Anyone who was on the fence for it 'seriously' needs to pick it up as fast as possible. Of course, I'm significantly biased and pretty much will love all Rune Factory games. Yue's my avatar, I've bought the MP3 for the RF3 opening off iTunes and actually 'bought' the game itself. I would probably be willing to 'pay' to meet Yoshifumi Hashimoto at this point.

Okay, enough Rune Factory rambling for now.

Also, glad to see MvC 3's got a release date. I've become more and more interested in the title after Capcom announced that in light of realizing people wanted a 'party' method of play, so news concerning the game is actually of interest to me now.

Looking forward to playing DKC Returns sometime over the upcoming holiday, hoping it's as enjoyable as everyone's saying it is.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:48 am Reply with quote
I hadn't even heard of Majin until now but it sounds interesting.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:18 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Last week I played the demo of Majin and I was surprised at how polished it felt. The only things that bothered me was the crappy design of the monster thingy and its voice. But from what I got out of the demo and it only being $40 this will be on my shelf soon.
It wasn't really the polish that got me, but just how damn charming it all was! Anybody can make a game look really nice these days (well okay, not everybody) but to make it all meaningful takes effort, and that's something I felt Majin did exceptionally. It's got the cartoon-y charm of a Zelda game mixed with the atmosphere and partnership of a Team ICO game. It's really something special.

I actually don't mind the Majin's voice. I thought it was dumb at first, but I actually think that it's enjoyably unique. Again, anybody can do a slow [relatively-]gentle giant voice, but I think the Majin's got a unique spin on the stereotype.

Honestly I think that it's a damn shame that the game's going to be overlooked; even Namco has no confidence by knocking 20 bucks off the price (I believe that Gamestop.ca was even advertising it at 69.99 a month ago, so that's 30! Plus tax!)

So yeah. This game has gone from a "can't afford to get it now, but can't wait to!" title to a must-buy out of respect for a simple job well-goddamn-done. Let's just hope that Game Republic can carry their magic on into Knight's Contract; another demo would be a great idea if Namco's gonna keep looking down on them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
Has anyone played the full Majin yet? I was very excited for it from when it was first announced, but when I downloaded and played the demo I was *really* disappointed with the ridiculously slow pacing and the tedious combat. Is the demo representative of the rest of the game, or does it get better?
dollssoulkirie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
I have to disagree with the Motonari Mori being most of the fangirls' favorite. That's absolutely Masamune, but there's tons of fans for each of the male characters, respectfully. Even the mummy wrapped Otani has tons of fans. (Hence why he ranked 9th in Capcom's official poll in Japan -- and mind you, a good majority of the fans in Japan are females.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crazychild

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I've never really understood the criticism that the DKC games get. Maybe they weren't quite as good as Mario and Sonic, but they were at least as solid and well designed as Mega Man or Castlevania. Rare really carved out their own unique style of gameplay by allowing 2 players to seamlessly switch in and out in the middle of a level, and they pushed the need for good timing to the forefront with all the barrel blasting parts. The only real flaw in the first game is that the hit detection can be a little spotty, causing you to slide off the edge of a platform after a jump.

I know there were dissenting views of it at the time, but I think some of the criticism today comes from people who don't know or maybe just forgot just how terrible the average platforming game was at the time. Mario and Sonic were the cream of the crop. A crop consisting of licensed cartoon characters or corporate mascots (or worse, a lame original character aspiring to be one), where you were just dropped into a huge level of bland repetitive floating platforms with no idea where you supposed to go (typically up and to the right), armed with a crappy throwing weapon and a jump so floaty that the whole screen would move with you, and you'd fall all the way back down to the bottom and have to make your way up all over again. Even Disney's licensed games weren't nearly as good as in the NES days.

Donkey Kong Country wasn't average. Cool Spot was average. Izzy's Quest for the Olympic Rings was average. DKC was ****ing gold. I'd say it's a testament to their quality that DKC is the only revered platforming franchise I can think of, besides Sonic, that originated in the 16-bit era, and they came out relatively late to boot.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They're standard shooters, but there are worse ways for genre fans to spend six dollars. I only hope the English dialogue from Aero Fighters 3 is in there, so players can appreciate Spanky the Dolphin.

Ecco? Is that you I see?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
3rd Birthday: Maid costume? Oh come on, seriously? Aya doesn't even get Japanese culture. Won't this come across as incredibly stupid to her?

MvC3: I'm a little disappointed that Lucas Gilbertson won't be doing Zero's voice this time. Not that Bosch is bad, it's just he's an odd fit for the badass of the X universe. You should see the anti-She-Hulk whining on the message boards. Why does everyone hate her so much anyway? She's not a Mary Sue or something, is she? Btw Todd, no, your wish for US-1 is flatly denied Razz

MML3: Well we have our new heroine. So now the question remains as to how much relevance she'll have. I really need to play Legends 2 at some point. I'm behind on this series.

Phantom Brave: Awwww, new playable characters? The Wii version only has Another Marona as its extra (and the bonus allies after the main story are only for true fans of Nippon Ichi). Hopefully they let us have this one too. Phantom Brave is an awesome game. Where else do you get to severely damage enemies with pumpkins and lithographs? I'm nowhere near done with the Wii version.

DK Returns: Well, considering we've seen a Mario remake of just about everything, it's time the big gorilla gets his time to shine. And surprisingly not by Rare for once. I think this game will get high marks for the year much like Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Majin: The article in Game Informer mentioned the voices for both heroes too. Are they really that terrible? It also mentioned the gameplay getting stale due to the "enemies regenerate once you leave a room and come back" principle; it also does a poor job of pointing you in the right direction and has some backtracking to do. Perhaps if I watch someone play the game, I can have a better idea.

Splatterhouse: Ha, I can remember that debacle about the cross boss back in the original game. As for this game, well, if you love gross out fests, enjoy.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the myth about dolphins being gentle and wise needs to crushed with the cold hammer of reality.

Also, while the focus here is Japanese games, I do want to bring up the recently announced Yars' Revenge remake, which has terms like "Miyazaki-inspired landscapes" and "Panzer Dragoon-style gameplay" being thrown around. Personally, I always liked the original and I do admire Howard Scott Warshaw. I'm cautiously looking forward to more details.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This leaves an unannounced delegate from the regular Mega Man line, and I think we can call guess who that'll be.

So Cutman? Awesome! Looking forward to the announcement.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Looks like that rumor MVC3 lineup might be real. Please let Taskmaster be in this. He could be a more bad ass Rogue.
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Capcom has posted an update, that the correct name for their new Mega Man Legends character is Sephira, not Aero.

Source: http://www.capcom-unity.com/devroom/blog/2010/11/16/meet_the_new_mega_man_legends_3_heroine,_sephira
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2