• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dōjinshi Created About Tokyo Youth Ordinance Amendment

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
"The current ordinance already prevents the sale and renting of "harmful publications" — materials that are "sexually stimulating, encourages cruelty, and/or may compel suicide or criminal behavior" — to people under the age of 18."

Wow, I had no idea.. So does this mean if the bill had passed earlier we wouldn't of had Death Note, Boogie Pop Phantom (I think someone tried to commit suicide in there) or even Hana Yori Dango? Or, I mean, fans under the age of 18 wouldn't of been able to watch it? Confused

I think that's too extreme a bill..
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I must buy this book. If I understand this right, there'll be an English translation/version, yes?

Can someone help me to do this?
ambot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
will be available at Comic Market 78 on December 31

The upcoming Comiket will be 79, not 78.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
"The current ordinance already prevents the sale and renting of "harmful publications" — materials that are "sexually stimulating, encourages cruelty, and/or may compel suicide or criminal behavior" — to people under the age of 18."

Wow, I had no idea.. So does this mean if the bill had passed earlier we wouldn't of had Death Note, Boogie Pop Phantom (I think someone tried to commit suicide in there) or even Hana Yori Dango? Or, I mean, fans under the age of 18 wouldn't of been able to watch it? Confused

No that's the current (in effect) one, not the new one. Read the article.

The new one adds
Quote:
"manga, anime, and other images" that "unjustifiably glorify or exaggerate" certain sexual or pseudo sexual acts. The government can also directly regulate these images if the depicted acts are also "considered to be excessively disrupting of social order" such as rape.
nicky_008

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I must buy this book. If I understand this right, there'll be an English translation/version, yes?
Yes, of course. Just wait until they release it.

I think Ken should release the doujinshi not only in C79, but also in many stores and online websites, too. This will be beneficial for everyone to understand that law and know how to do about it.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
nicky_008 wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Yes, of course. Just wait until they release it.

I think Ken should release the doujinshi not only in C79, but also in many stores and online websites, too. This will be beneficial for everyone to understand that law and know how to do about it.

Nogami's previous JP/ENG doujinshi (the "Witches of the Sphinx" ones [1][2]) have been sold online on MangaPal to make it easy for foreigners to import them.

I've emailed Kanemitsu asking whether this book will be also, but I'd assume it will be.

I might just order it from Amazon.co.jp, though. Amazon.co.jp has annoying "handling" fees, but so does MangaPal. I'll have to figure out which is ultimately cheaper.

I'd also like to plug Firstspear's semi-official Strike Witches doujinshi *, which I think are even better written than the TV anime.

* Semi-official because Takaaki Suzuki is the historical advisor for the anime series, and wrote scripts for some episodes.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Can someone help me to do this?

If you read the article carefully, you should've seen this:

Quote:
The Japanese/English book will also be available from Amazon Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Although certain liberties have been curtailed (or are presumed to be curtailed), minor solace can be taken: the bill itself has become subject matter for mangaka. Should further works be produced in the same spirit, a novel, if perhaps softly-executed, protest movement would be born.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Haha this is a great idea for a doujinshi. If the price is right I might actually buy it when it's released. I wonder if we're going to see more doujin like this in the months to come, it'd be ironic if they turn them into hentai doujin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
In the time it took me to compose this reply, Shintaro Ishihara rectally violated five newborns.

Really looking forward to this doujin. Smile Ishihara also reminds me of the baby f****** president of country X in the Maiko-chan guro hentai doujinshi.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Now that some thing to read now if it will be on some where that not on amazon japan
elleesttrois

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Who determines what's "harmful?" If some mangaka po's someone, can their work be determined to be "harmful?" If so, how can the people ensure mangaka aren't singled out for disfavor.

This will affect sales since kids can't buy it (presumably more titles will be off limits to teens), they're going to get it online, thereby bypassing the $$ part. Seriously, kids are gonna find sexy publications or pr0n of any type. They're curious. If they knocked the age limitation back to like 15 or 16, it'd make more sense.

Was this thought through? Is there a conservative takeover or scare of some type? Did something truly horrible happen? I'm just wondering as such publications have been available for years. What sparked the ricochet?

Sorry. I'm rambling. I just don't understand the seeming knee-jerk reaction. I must admit, however, I'm not very well versed in current Japanese cultural norms.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:

No that's the current (in effect) one, not the new one. Read the article.

The new one adds
Quote:
"manga, anime, and other images" that "unjustifiably glorify or exaggerate" certain sexual or pseudo sexual acts. The government can also directly regulate these images if the depicted acts are also "considered to be excessively disrupting of social order" such as rape.

I did read it. I assumed that the current one WAS the new one, but now I see what it's saying.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Yes KENZICHI it is reasonable to assume many of our favorite anime and manga series would have never been able to be possible if this bill was in effect years earlier. Titles, regardless of having mature themes in them, require them to be available to a far-reaching and broad audience in order for them to begin production, let alone be successful. It should be up to parents and the consumers themselves if the interested parties may be a bit too young for the intended audience.

Plus shows that are broadcast are already edited and censored in consideration of a young, TV watching public, so there's little reason for them to purchase the DVD versions, which are not censored. But that definitely doesn't mean they belong in the 18+ section if there isn't any explicit, sexual or specifically adult content there.

As for this doujinshi work, because the characters are female versions of the authors (who are male), this looks like they are poking fun at the obviously homophobic tendencies of Ishihara and his followers (I of course, am interested in buying it for just that reason alone).
mckg1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I might check this out! The bill is just BS in my humble opinion. I could write an essay stating the facts on whats wrong about the bill, but I am sure most, if not all of you that blog here know the issue and the BS the tokyo gov is doing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2