• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Contact lenses...anime style?!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
My friend showed me an article out of a magazine from a relative about Japan making contect lenses (primarily for girls) that made the wearer look like he/she had anime style eyes. They make the eye look completely brown with a light spot in one corner. Has anyone heard anything more about this? Now at future cons maybe we can see people using these along with Garnier Fructis Style Manga Head gel...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
=/ I've always wanted red contacts for cosplay, but it's way too much of a hassle to get cosmetic contacts with the contact lens prescription I have. Unfair. Anime cry I'd ask my doctor to get them for me, but I'm scared of what the price would turn out to be.

Anyway, as for the anime contacts you were talking about, here's what a quick search turned up.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.05/play.html?pg=4
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that's the one. Thanks. I was discussing this with my friend during gym. (while swinging my golfclub around like a sword...)
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
=/ I've always wanted red contacts for cosplay, but it's way too much of a hassle to get cosmetic contacts with the contact lens prescription I have. Unfair. Anime cry I'd ask my doctor to get them for me, but I'm scared of what the price would turn out to be.

Hee hee... what I've done (I wouldn't recommend it, though; I'm not sure it's 100% safe...) is dyed my contact lenses overnight in cleaning solution mixed with red food coloring (disposable contacts, of course... when they're almost ready to be thrown away anyway). It looked great when I cosplayed as Yukino, but the dye began to fade after a couple of hours and my irises turned purple. (Natural eye color=blue). Razz That was... hmm... almost two years ago, and my eyeballs haven't popped out yet. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

Hee hee... what I've done (I wouldn't recommend it, though; I'm not sure it's 100% safe...) is dyed my contact lenses overnight in cleaning solution mixed with red food coloring (disposable contacts, of course... when they're almost ready to be thrown away anyway). It looked great when I cosplayed as Yukino, but the dye began to fade after a couple of hours and my irises turned purple. (Natural eye color=blue). Razz That was... hmm... almost two years ago, and my eyeballs haven't popped out yet. Wink

Woah... and it didn't like, scorch your eyes or anything? Man, if it works, it's pretty ingenius, but boy that's sketchy. Though I guess that probably wouldn't work for me, since my eyes are black to begin with. (Well, dark, dark, dark, dark, dark brown, but unless a light is being shone at the right angle, they're black. ;p)

But I'm surprised your eyes didn't burn like sin. I mean, it hurts enough when I accidentally get lotion in my eyes. I can't imagine getting vegetable dyes in there as well.

Have you heard about those really gross JewelEye extraocular implants where people can get shiny things implanted under the top layer of their eye whites? Totally sick.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Woah... and it didn't like, scorch your eyes or anything? Man, if it works, it's pretty ingenius, but boy that's sketchy.

Perhaps because it's diluted in the solution, and the amount of wet dye touching the eye is minimal. But yes, if you were to do something like just squirt some food coloring in your eye, it would most assuredly burn like hell.

SakechanBD wrote:
Have you heard about those really gross JewelEye extraocular implants where people can get shiny things implanted under the top layer of their eye whites?

That's just... I'm not sure if there is a word for it...
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Have you heard about those really gross JewelEye extraocular implants where people can get shiny things implanted under the top layer of their eye whites? Totally sick.

Wow... I'm almost at a loss for words. That is pretty gross. I guess it doesn't surprise me though - this is the age where beautification is somehow reliant on the one's willingness to deface their own body. Tattoos, brandings, piercings, etc., it's been going on for awhile now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Shocked ...blargh, those shiny implants are close to the grossest things I've ever seen. The anime contact lenses look a lot safer. They could have at least shown a less disturbing picture.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:24 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Shocked My eye began to ache a little when I saw the picture on that website. That's really the most disturbed/fascinated I've been ever since I first saw those under-the-skin-metal-ball implants. Something about a bumpy forearm just unsettles me.

My eyes didn't sting at all; like Kazuki-san hypothesized, I suspect the fact that the ratio of solution to red food coloring was pretty substantial had something to do with it. I still feel kinda dumb for actually doing it, though. ^^; Who knows what could have happened? And my eyesight is pretty important to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:53 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Who knows what could have happened?

This:

Laughing
hawkscorpion

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The best treatment for Radioactive Cesium or Thalium poisoning is administration of an industrial dye known as "prussian blue" which was used to color everything from cloths to cosmetics.

It causes all your bodily fluids to turn bright blue. Including your tears and sweat until you manage to sweat it out of your system. (It takes the thalium with it through your sweat glands)

Wierd huh?
mitora

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
hawkscorpion wrote:
The best treatment for Radioactive Cesium or Thalium poisoning is administration of an industrial dye known as "prussian blue" which was used to color everything from cloths to cosmetics.

It causes all your bodily fluids to turn bright blue. Including your tears and sweat until you manage to sweat it out of your system. (It takes the thalium with it through your sweat glands)

Wierd huh?

Wow... Shocked

Cloe wrote:
Hee hee... what I've done (I wouldn't recommend it, though; I'm not sure it's 100% safe...) is dyed my contact lenses overnight in cleaning solution mixed with red food coloring (disposable contacts, of course... when they're almost ready to be thrown away anyway). It looked great when I cosplayed as Yukino, but the dye began to fade after a couple of hours and my irises turned purple. (Natural eye color=blue). That was... hmm... almost two years ago, and my eyeballs haven't popped out yet.

Are your irises still purple?If so then you have achieved anime eyes for real. WinkI wear contacts and it would scare the crap out of me to try that. Shocked

SakechanBD wrote:
Anyway, as for the anime contacts you were talking about, here's what a quick search turned up.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.05/play.html?pg=4

Is it just me or does that close up pic of that girls eye(I think it that was with the contact) look just like Spike Spiegels eyes from Cowboy Bebop? :wink:If so then I would kill for these contacts!!
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
After seeing that JewelEye thing all I can say is Shocked ...

I am interested in buying colored lenses, so that I can cosplay as Saito (Rurouni Kenshin version) with the yellow or blue eyes. I still can't decide since his iris colors are different in many pics and scenes of him. Any advice as to any place where I can get great ones for low prices... please help this noob cosplayer...!!! Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
mitora wrote:
Are your irises still purple?If so then you have achieved anime eyes for real. WinkI wear contacts and it would scare the crap out of me to try that. Shocked

Ha ha, no, they're still the same shade of blue they're always been. That's a fun concept though... iris dye! To be honest, I began wearing my contacts a little less frequently after that, for fear of causing damage to my eyes. They're completely unharmed, however.
taconinja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Tee hee.. how could someone get lotion in their eyes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2