• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Delays Chobits & DBZ Boxes, One Piece Disc

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this is due to whichever supplier was screwing up their DVD releases?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
Aw bummer, I was considering pre-ordering Chobits. Oh well, I guess this gives me some more time to save up for it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Man... It was SOOO close to my birthday!

And 2 months? To quote a genius, "what a drag..."
GordanHam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
No!!!!!!
Not One Piece!!!!!
Even if that set is filler it is actually like the good narative wise!!!!!!
This is such a bummber. I could totally undertand delaying till March. But till April totally blows and will screw up the rest of the schedule.

I guess no Foxy till summer and no Water Seven until very, very, very late summer if we are lucky.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Well, if this really is because they're kicking that reproduction company that's been screwing up their DVDs lately to the curb and they need to reschedule the titles to allow someone else to do the job right, then I'll happily take the delay.

Of course, that still remains pure speculation on my part, and there's no telling for sure why the titles are being delayed without any word from Funimation themselves.
decepticons2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
Will there be anything better on the chobits bluray or if i have the DVD don't bother? I understand it will be higher resolution but considering it will still be the same art from the original I can't see much improvement.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Will there be anything better on the chobits bluray or if i have the DVD don't bother? I understand it will be higher resolution but considering it will still be the same art from the original I can't see much improvement.

I notice with the older titles it doesn't really make much of a difference whether you get them on DVD or BluRay. The only exception would be if, for some strange reason, the BluRay was remastered and the DVD was not.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
I hope Funimation is not going the way of Bandai and ADV.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:33 am Reply with quote
Who wants DBZ now that DBZKai is out?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote
Obviously none of you guys pay attention to the Retail Forum. I make that guess based on the idea that none of you have seen the February and March Solicitations and how FREAKING HUGE they were (they were a lot bigger, but there have been other delays). The reason these are delayed are most likely because Funimation made their schedule way too front heavy, meaning they needed to spread some stuff out to the second quarter, not because of their manufacturer. If anything, they're doing buyers a favor by not loading up the first three months of the year, because you can now spread out the money you spend.

Also, Egan, both sets for Rosario + Vampire, which were originally slated for March 29, have been pushed to May 17. Source. I didn't know delays were news, but I'll start sending that stuff in when I know about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
captainbanana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:11 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-Ray and FLCL Blu-Ray aren't on this list. Somewhat sad about Chobits though (depending on whether or not the transfer is a disaster).

To whoever asked about whether or not Blu-Ray is worthwhile: It depends on the show (how it was animated) and the remastering process. If it was done digitally before HDTV took over in Japan (anything in the 96-97 to 05-06 range) it's not going to look much better (if at all) because a remaster generally isn't possible (only an upscale). If it is a show done on film before those dates (Yu Yu Hakusho, Zeta Gundam, etc), the jump to Blu-Ray is worthwhile, as long as the remastering process is done properly (The Cowboy Bebop Movie on Blu-Ray is a great example). If the DVD release of a show was awful though (FLCL was pretty darn bad) it may be worth it to get a show on Blu-Ray, even if it was animated digitally, assuming that the upscale process hasn't completely ruined it.

Last edited by captainbanana on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:12 am Reply with quote
Link
Quote:
FUNimation announced that the Rosario + Vampire DVD Complete Series L.E. and the Rosario + Vampire: Capu2 DVD Complete Series will both now be released on May 17, 2011.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
This may work in my favour. Because I plan to purchase one or two items in February and March, the comparative lateness of the Chobits release shall prevent my acquisitions from occurring within too narrow a period of time, and will thereby not take such a sudden toll on my finances.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:

People such as myself. Who actually watched the original Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z long before they were remastered and were on television.

I've watched Dragon Ball Z Kai and the show is excellent. Exceptional voice actors, nice energetic song and well worth watching in Blu Ray. However, because parts of the show were removed (no filler and slightly less talking) I just feel like it didn't have the same excitement the original DBZ did.

Honestly though, the remastered Dragon Ball Z sets (which I've been watching from quite some time now) are actually well worth waiting for and are similar to DBZ I watched several years ago. But only cleaner looking and with slightly better audio.

Given that it has been several years since I last seen Chobits and given the age of the series, if I was a fan of the show, I'd go for the Blu Ray set. I personally have noticed that some (not all) older series tend to look significantly better in Blu Ray as opposed to normal dvd quality.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

People such as myself. Who actually watched the original Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z long before they were remastered and were on television.

I've watched Dragon Ball Z Kai and the show is excellent. Exceptional voice actors, nice energetic song and well worth watching in Blu Ray. However, because parts of the show were removed (no filler and slightly less talking) I just feel like it didn't have the same excitement the original DBZ did.

Honestly though, the remastered Dragon Ball Z sets (which I've been watching from quite some time now) are actually well worth waiting for and are similar to DBZ I watched several years ago. But only cleaner looking and with slightly better audio.

Given that it has been several years since I last seen Chobits and given the age of the series, if I was a fan of the show, I'd go for the Blu Ray set. I personally have noticed that some (not all) older series tend to look significantly better in Blu Ray as opposed to normal dvd quality.

I'd say that's one major advantage the Dragon Box Sets have, they're remastered wide-screen videos. Kai won't be in wide-screen format and that kinda sucks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3