• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sound of Bounce on Free Throw

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
This one could have been titled "Music to Dunk To" or "Paino of Blood"

By the Way are you going to review anymore GANTZ Bamboo?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:06 am Reply with quote
It's the bearded dude. I know it.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:09 am Reply with quote
I know what Bamboo looks like, hell I have had her give me the evil eye.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:25 am Reply with quote
Some detail on Hoop Days.

1. The whole series is about "teamwork" as they pound it through your head over and over again. Guys sitting around talking about their feelings to each other and how teamwork will win.
2. Every shot/pass/rebound/block will be falsely exaggerated to generate excitement. Probably isn't the most realistic portray of bball, but hey most people in Japan don't care. Players have time to stand around to talk and congradulate each other after a basket instead of getting back on defense. Oh yeah, must watch the japanese sub, it's funny as hell hearing "nice shoota" everytime they score a basket (and that's like every time).
3. Good animation to start with, but the overall animation is pretty bad. A lot of stiffness with cheap panning tricks and recycle footlage, which are reuse over and over again.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:06 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

3. Good animation to start with, but the overall animation is pretty bad. A lot of stiffness with cheap panning tricks and recycle footlage, which are reuse over and over again.

Nuts. I was hoping it would stay that way. I was really impressed with how carefully they rendered all the spinning balls and hoop shots. =/ I guess the novelty wears off after the 20th time.

As for your other points, I agree with you. I actually loved Hoop Days the minute I watched it, but given its American audience and the way it's presented, it still comes off as pretty lame. As hokey as it feels though, I can't help but be excited for the upcoming volumes.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:32 am Reply with quote
Dear Boys sound kinda Gay?. LOL that's a good one. While there are female "love interest" in the series, I see dear boys more as a yaoi-like baskteball anime. The guys do more posing on the bball court than playing the actual game. And while they're not playing bball, they're dress up in the latest trendy clothes. Wink

From what I head, the production budject got really bad during the last few episode, therefore one of the episode had really horrible animation. Such as still face-shot with flapping lips and guilding movement that didn't make any sense. Also the characters didn't even look like they in the previous episode. But thanksfull it was only 1 episode and the animation got better by the last episode.

Nice review on hoop day though, it gets addicting the more you watch it, so it's not all that bad. If they bring over the manga, I'm definitely getting it since the anime leave an openning ending.

Look for me at AX (or Disneyland)

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:55 am Reply with quote
So no titles that needed to be trashed this week, huh? That's unusual. Smile

I've been meaning to check out Dear Boys (Hoop Days, whatever you want to call it) for some time now. I'll probably check it out for a rental at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ericb35

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:10 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

1. The whole series is ....

...are reuse over and over again.

I couldn't agree any more. Slam Dunk, though dated, is a far more superior basketball anime than Dear Boys (Hoop Days). It does have it share of "quirks" (games dragging on, flashbacks, etc), I would take Slam Dunk any day. It's kinda cheesy for me to say this, but I could feel that there's more love and attention put into SD than into Dear Boys. I feel the story is more realistic, the characters are more likeable, and the basketball is more sound in Slam Dunk. So I guess I'm sticking with the classic.
Strategos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:26 am Reply with quote
Can't really disagree with any of the reviews, except I adore FMP? to death so that is a definate buy for me.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:09 am Reply with quote
Hehehe, glad you liked Elfen Lied. Twisted Evil

Have fun watching the later volumes; it gets more "interesting".
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
FMP-F covers all the stories from the FMP manga that didn't relate directly to the core plot shown in the FMP anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
frubam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
Strategos wrote:
...except I adore FMP? to death so that is a definite buy for me.

I liked it too, it was definitely funny, but i still feel that the hijinks that occur in the show feels a bit forced. When it came to comedy, i feel that the original FMP did better than FMPf? in that department.

Scrapped Princess was ok. I actually found the 1st vol to be more enjoyable than the 2nd. The 2nd vol just went too fast for me. Maybe it was because there weren't any "real" fights in vol 2. I believe i was more intrigued by seeing Chris on his little mission(though I much prefer it if he were fighting).

As for Hoop Days, yeah, the animation is crappy and flat looking for the most part. Slam Dunk, is probably better, but i like Hoop Days about the same. Its something about sports in anime that's just so fun to watch.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:24 am Reply with quote
the true plot of Scrapped Princess hasn't even revealed it's self yet. i went into this series with low expectations and it's actually pretty good. a lot of people will be surprised by the plot twist that's coming.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Elfen Lied and Scrapped Princess on the Buy Shelf.

Keep watching these series and you won't be dissappointed.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
So no titles that needed to be trashed this week, huh? That's unusual. Smile

DearS hasn't been released yet. *ba dum ching*

W00t for Scrapped moving up. Yay!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3