• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Dark Tidings

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
There is a mistake when you refer to the Darkstalkers cartoon as happening after Darkstalkers 3 when it came out 2 years before it. The anime OVA came out at the same time as Darkstalkers 3 though.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Just mentioning the Ducktales remake is enough to put the song in my head.

Again. Yup. It will never leave.

Hopefully we finally get a new Darkstalkers after all this. The series deserves better than a quick if passable OVA and one of the worst cartoons of the 90's. Especially for what was a salvaged Universal Monsters game that could have been a trainwreck. Wait, does that mean Morrigan was originally Elvira?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
DuckTales Remastered: This is quite possibly the single greatest move Crapbomb has ever made following its constant years of blunder after blunder. Getting the cartoon cast back together is the real clincher, though I'm worried if Flintheart is actually going to speak since his actor has long since passed on. Who in the world could they get to do the voice now?

Promise of a new Mega Man game? Probably another cheap iPhone port with no innovation behind it. Get back to giving Mega Man X another game already.

Croixleur: Seriously Todd, you're saying it's slightly better than spending five dollars on Taco Bell food? Now that's just sad. It can't be that lackluster.

Darkstalkers Resurrection: Lilith and Bishamon have quickly become my favorite characters. I love those two. :D

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon: And what a poor attempt to characterize Luigi that was. The Mario anime movie was god awful. Luigi being a greedy shopkeeper made no sense, but hey, the whole thing made no sense in any case. Whoever wrote the story for that abomination must have been really drunk; that, or they virtually had no idea who Mario and Luigi were. And what was up with the dog turning into a prince bit?

I think people are looking forward to the new M&L game more since Mario RPGs seem to be attracting a lot more attention in the last few years (and I know there are those people who want to forget Sticker Star ever existed).
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to play DuckTales come summer! And really needa gat around to downloading Darkstalkers.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Bleah for the new Etrian Odyssey. I really like being able to construct my own characters.

OTOH, Dungeons and Dragons and DuckTales sounds like a fun game.

Beatdigga wrote:
Just mentioning the Ducktales remake is enough to put the song in my head.

Again. Yup. It will never leave.

You are not alone in that...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Apparently DuckTales Remastered has background art by the animators of the TV show. Which feels like it should be impressive, but as Todd points out the results (at least judging from the trailers) seem disappointingly bland.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Apparently DuckTales Remastered has background art by the animators of the TV show. Which feels like it should be impressive, but as Todd points out the results (at least judging from the trailers) seem disappointingly bland.

Has there ever been a 3D remastering that hasn't looked inferior by comparison? TMNT Reshelled, Double Dragon Neon, Bionic Comando Rearmed... I prefer the sprite-based versions. They just don't look as good in "2.5D"
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
The Dungeons and Dragons brawlers were the ones that really got away from me. I went through a LOT of brawlers in my day from Final Fight to...... well, that one based on that Shadow movie with Alec Baldwin. Ugh. Never got to Dungeons and Dragons, though.

I don't know about a new Strider, though. Strider has varied between simultaneously fighting a t-rex and a mechanical guerrilla awesome to Strider Returns, but it never could top the first level from the arcade. It probably has in game design, but the first level is hang-gliding into futuristic Commie Moscow that's in cahoots with aliens. You fight cybernetic guards with bayonets and mini-castoffs from Doctor Zhivago leading up to a mini-boss with Ivan Drago (Though it's pretty darn easy), and finally, after a run in without an elevator that seems only designed to carry a robot wielding a gatling gun, you confront the Russian politburo, which then turns into a giant dragon wielding a hammer and sickle. If I ever had a van, a mural of the first level of Strider would be painted on it.
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:50 am Reply with quote
Caterpillar, actually. Or maybe it's a caterpillar dragon. Either way, hell yes!

When it comes to remakes, though, I've never been all that fond of the NESifications of my old arcade favorites. Judging by what they did with Rygar, Bionic Commando/Top Secret and... uh...

Wait, I'm sure there has to be more of them; NES versions that changed around a whole lot. Right?

Anyway, outside of that, the D&D pack interests me. It's especially nice to get both games in one package, but I guess that's only logical -- get rights for one game, the other automatically follows. I wonder if I may hope for Knights 'n Round too, perhaps coupled with King of Dragons or something, even if the two games aren't necessarily related by blood.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Has there ever been a 3D remastering that hasn't looked inferior by comparison? TMNT Reshelled, Double Dragon Neon, Bionic Comando Rearmed... I prefer the sprite-based versions. They just don't look as good in "2.5D"

You think today's gamers give a you-know-what about pixels and sprites? Even if you prefer sprites (which I also do), it's not going to cut it in today's market anymore.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
"It's a cute little side attraction for the Mario series, and Luigi's fans can take solace that he's getting a better deal than Princess Peach."
Um, no, it's not. It's a fully fledged adventure game that plays entirely different to any Mario game, be it 3D or 2D. Just because it has a Mario character in it doesn't make it a 'Mario side attraction', just as the Mario games weren't considered 'Donkey Kong' side attractions...
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Had no idea there was a new Etrian Odyssey game coming out. The fact that it has actual characters instead of creating your own actually interest me. Hopefully means the plot is a little stronger as well.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
There are two, three things about videogame collecting I don't really understand.

One is an obsessive compulsion to collect hardware that is really, really ugly just because it's a limited edition item. For instance, as much as I like the Sega Saturn -- my all-time favorite system --, the HiSaturn and Skeleton Saturn variants are easily the ugliest production versions of the system. Likewise, the original Fat PS2 and the XBox weren't particularly attractive systems, either, but far more common and therefore not-so-collectible.

Another hardware obsession is collecting gear that doesn't support more than 1-2 games and generally has next to no real use. Specifically, I refer to the rare (re: expensive) broadband adapters for the Dreamcast and GameCube. Even my Namco PS2 FlightStick supports more games than those paperweights!

Lastly, why oh why do people waste good money on lousy game ports just because they're "limited"?

Examples of overpriced, lousy game ports that are collectible because of low-print runs or the fact that you had to import them into the US --
Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (XBox, PS2) => far inferior to the Dreamcast port (the DC hardware is essentially identical to the arcade machine) and the later XBL/PSN editions

Marvel Vs SF, X-Men Vs SF, X-Men:COTA (PS1) => way inferior to the Saturn ports; I couldn't believe how stupid system fanboys are when it comes to ports... You could not crucify a Sony fanboy back in the day to get them to look at the Saturn Capcom ports most of the time and convince them they were wasting money on the PS1 ports; fanboyism is the highest form of pig-headed stupidity; the PS1 X-Men: COTA port was released two years after the Saturn port and was still slower than the previous console release

Capcom D & D Collection (Saturn) => one of the worst Capcom CPS-2 efforts on the Saturn; only Marvel Super Heroes was worse; this port was developed before the 4MB RAM cart was available and released with no support for said RAM cart when it was released after the first 1-2 Capcom fighters that used the 4MB RAM cart; it's plagued by slowdown issues

98% of the anime-based videogames ever developed =>
as imports, what makes these even less understandable for the collectibility factor and generally not-marketed-for-the-North American-market anime tie-in is the lack of English outside of menu screens; even then, some of the Asian-exclusive anime games are very lacking in ANY onscreen English support... That's why I generally stick to fighting games or platformers for import and steer away from text-heavy game genres and other games that have foreign language-biased menu option screens;
they're based on TV/manga/movie licenses; same old deal = developers think they have a pass to print money and don't have to actually make a good game; anime licenses tend to be even worse than general movie/TV licenses percentage-wise... You can literally count the number of good games based on X-anime property with the fingers of one hand; even most high-profile American sci-fi properties have better percentages for good games versus bad...
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Did this week's column even mention video game collecting?

I seem to have missed where the platform for Duck Tales HD was mentioned.

And Drakengard 3 looks in the overlap zone between sexy and creepy.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Another hardware obsession is collecting gear that doesn't support more than 1-2 games and generally has next to no real use. Specifically, I refer to the rare (re: expensive) broadband adapters for the Dreamcast and GameCube. Even my Namco PS2 FlightStick supports more games than those paperweights!

For the Dreamcast, I imagine a lot of the people who want the broadband adapter are running Linux or NetBSD. Pretty useless for gaming these days.

I got the Twin Stick for my Dreamcast because I wanted to play Virtual On at home. Fortunately I managed to win it at an eBay auction for less than $30. Of course EMS shipping from Japan cost $50, but even then it was way cheaper than the buy-it-now listings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2