• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Porco Rosso BD Slated for July 17 in Japan with English Subtitles, Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roseversailles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

Well, U.S. Disney will probably release this late next year, but ALL RIGHT! These JP editions tend to have great Special Features anyway, including the neat cases. One of my favorite Miyazakis, and if memory serves, that just leaves SPIRITED AWAY and MONONOKE left.

Cool

BRING IT, JAPAN.

*edit* Apparently, we've still got Ocean Waves, Pom Poko, and The Cat Returns to go. Hopefully we will still see some sign of the Big Two sometime next year!

Last edited by roseversailles on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The release will include subtitles in Japanese, English, and French, and will include audio tracks in Japanese, English, French, German, Finnish, Korean, Mandarin, and Cantonese.

Bloody oath that's impressive. As well it should be, given the price, but still . . .

Wow. Just . . . wow.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Quote:
The release will include subtitles in Japanese, English, and French, and will include audio tracks in Japanese, English, French, German, Finnish, Korean, Mandarin, and Cantonese.

Bloody oath that's impressive. As well it should be, given the price, but still . . .

Wow. Just . . . wow.

The JP releases tend to have multiple subs and dubs, while the cheaper HK editions have the same features, sans extra subs and dubs. *Usually* Then, we get the UK release, and US follows. There's quite a few great Ghibli Blu-Ray Edition comparison sites out there! I'm such a nerd, I frequent them for fun Anime smile

I've only bought one HK edition, but never a JP. I just may have to import for Porco.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Yet still no Spirited Away on BD even though its their most successful film
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
It's great to hear that Porco Rosso is the next Ghibli film to hit BD. I'm looking forward to importing it, and hearing those awesome aircraft engines in lossless audio. ^^;
Setsura1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Happy, but still wondering when Princess Mononoke is getting a BD release!
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
My shelf (?) is ready.

Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
My shelf (?) is ready.

are those all the ghibli blu rays out to date? Waw, Im impressed. Its the Japanese versions too, which go for like 70$ each. Though I still don't get 1 thing, do the Japanese blu rays come with English dub too?
roseversailles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
My shelf (?) is ready.

are those all the ghibli blu rays out to date? Waw, Im impressed. Its the Japanese versions too, which go for like 70$ each. Though I still don't get 1 thing, do the Japanese blu rays come with English dub too?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=198117

This URL is a friend to any Ghibli-enthusiast. It states what the language options (audio and sub) are for each release, as well as consensus on video, sound, packaging, and extras quality. They do this for every major release (HK, JP, US, UK) with pictures. An invaluable resource that has helped me many a time pick the right edition. If you have any questions about the content of a release (or whether it has dubtitles, which has the best picture, etc.) look here.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Ohh, I want to get this someday! I love Porco Rosso so much and this release looks lovely!
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
This URL is a friend to any Ghibli-enthusiast. It states what the language options (audio and sub) are for each release, as well as consensus on video, sound, packaging, and extras quality. They do this for every major release (HK, JP, US, UK) with pictures. An invaluable resource that has helped me many a time pick the right edition. If you have any questions about the content of a release (or whether it has dubtitles, which has the best picture, etc.) look here.

Thanks! Its quite neat how they sum up the features and extras for each ghibli film in one place~
partially

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
So I take it that only Porco is being released, disappointing. Sad

Not about the film itself, lovely film. But just means that getting the entire Ghibli catalogue is going to be even slower now, usually they do a couple at a time.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
roseversailles wrote:

Thanks! Its quite neat how they sum up the features and extras for each ghibli film in one place~

Very glad to help Smile I've made many decisions off of their comparisons, so I'm quite glad I stumbled across it! If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have known about Kiki being on Blu! Anime smile
MatFH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Studio Ghibli definitely takes a while in all things. I was always looking forward to the Princess Mononoke Bluray, but I think one day I might even just lose interest for some unpredictable reason.
But I wonder if Miyazaki's current movie is really going well, that silence since its annoncement is on the edge of being normal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1