• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Files New 'Star Ocean' Trademark

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I smell a new social game...
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

either that or yet another franchise reboot attempt.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
How dare they taunt Anime cry

Last HOpe was terrible on 360 though.....having to switch discs non-stop while doing the post-game content was irritating. I was so glad when the International version came out for PS3 on bluray.
ani12

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
PLEASE be an an actual game, Square. If it's another mobile game, I swear I'm going to scream... DX
.Eckilsax.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Last Hope was a [expletive] lazy trainwreck that froze repeatedly in several dungeons on PS3 AND Xbox 360. What a crock of shit that was. If they do attempt a reboot let's hope it's better than that abortion.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Last HOpe was terrible on 360 though.....having to switch discs non-stop while doing the post-game content was irritating. I was so glad when the International version came out for PS3 on bluray.
So? Being on PS3 would'nt make the game magically better. The game is awful either way. It's hard to enjoy the combat when your level design, graphics/art, story, and characters are so shitty. Pretty much everything about 4 was a terrible time anytime you weren't whacking things.

RoF stands as the only worthwhile jrpg Tri Ace thing crapped out this gen. Even then the story was pretty much nonsensical ,but it didn't have abundant and terrible cutscenes.

Hopefully, Tri Ace can get it's act together next gen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

This. So stupid browser and social crap.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

So? Being on PS3 would'nt make the game magically better. The game is awful either way. It's hard to enjoy the combat when your level design, graphics/art, story, and characters are so shitty. Pretty much everything about 4 was a terrible time anytime you weren't whacking things.

RoF stands as the only worthwhile jrpg Tri Ace thing crapped out this gen. Even then the story was pretty much nonsensical ,but it didn't have abundant and terrible cutscenes.

Hopefully, Tri Ace can get it's act together next gen.

Well I think that person was just talking about that Star Ocean IV is better on PS3 because well you have only 1 Blu-ray disc vs. having like 3 DVDs, plus other features like Japanese audio option, multiple subtitle options, etc. not the gameplay.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
Wow, considering all the hate for it, I guess I should be happy I never got around to playing the fourth one as I loved 2 and 3.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
I hope for a major console installment although that will unlikely happen.

PS3 & X360 don't have too many good JRPGs. Thus even though SO4 was full of cliches and corny speech, I still enjoyed it a lot more than those Compile Heart's games,for example.

After all SO4 still had its plot rather than pointless dialogues dragged on and on while trying to be funny but ended up so annoying instead,like those in CH's games.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
I wonder what it could be. Star Ocean ended on such a sour note that they would have to go above and beyond to make a new entry even remotely palatable.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much have given up on Squeenix.... They never give us what we want; only what we don't want. I'll only accept a new Final Fantasy game or Star Ocean game if they abandon the things that made the previous addictions fail.... I miss the old days...

I'll stick to Namco-Bandai and my lovely Tales series. I've plenty of actual J-RPGS that I want to play coming from them.
...Guess that's one thing I can thank Squeenix for. The lack of Final Fantasy makes a Tales release more possible.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Wow, considering all the hate for it, I guess I should be happy I never got around to playing the fourth one as I loved 2 and 3.

Wasn't nearly as good as 2, but I still enjoyed The Last Hope for being the kind of game that's closest to being a modern Phantasy Star for those of us offline JRPG players not all that interested in the multiplayer Phantasy Star Online games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meygaera

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Last Hope was the first Star Ocean game I played. I really enjoyed it. I decided to try out till the end of time for the ps2 but really disliked the battle system (and the fact that for 80% of the game you are on the same shitty planet that I hate so much...)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I have Star Ocean III: 'Til the End of Time too, but there was some kind of glitch and I couldn't get the door to open in some kind of castle or temple to advance the game, gave up on it, and haven't touched it since. I used FAQs too, but I couldn't trigger whatever was supposed to happen no matter what I tried, and it's been five or six years and I don't remember offhand the details.

(I do know the gist of the twist ending, but that's because I'm a spoiler reader.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2